X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PM puts water on PNP priority list

BY CARL GILCHRIST Observer staff reporter gilchristc@jamaicaobserver.com
    Wednesday, June 20, 2007

OCHO RIOS, St Ann - The ruling People's National Party (PNP) says water will be one of its priorities if reelected to form the Government.
    SIMPSON MILLER... said approval has been given for the construction of the Harmony Hall/Braco/Runaway Bay water supply project.
    Party president and Prime Minister Portia Simpson Miller told supporters at a rally in Brown's Town Sunday night that her administration had already completed several water supply projects and more have been planned.
    "We have already completed the Martha Brae to Harmony Hall pipeline. on schedule at a cost of US$40 million," the prime minister said.
    "This project has improved the water supply service to more than 100,000 persons in the parishes of Trelawny and St James, Hanover and sections of Westmoreland. Twenty thousand persons can now benefit directly from the new pipeline that has been laid and a further 10,000 persons can be connected over the next few years," said Simpson Miller.
    At the same time, the prime minister said approval has been given for the construction of the Harmony Hall/Braco/Runaway Bay water supply project and distribution network - stretching from Trelawny into St Ann - at a cost of US$16.8 million.
    She said, too, that the Mammee Bay water supply system in St Ann and Sherwood system in Trelawny were being upgraded.
    The prime minister also said the PNP's road repair programme would be continuing, and announced plans for the upgrading of the Runaway Bay to Brown's Town and the Fern Gully roads. She also announced that $12 million had been allocated for flood mitigation projects in St Ann and Trelawny.
    The large crowd, which blocked the Brown's Town square and swarmed the nearby Anglican churchyard, warmed to the announcements by the prime minister.
    While many were expecting the announcement of the election date, the prime minister begged the comrades "to wait just a little longer".
    She also appealed for unity and peace during the rest of the campaign.
    "We must all work together to create one Jamaica, one family and we must all work together to shape the future," Simpson Miller said.
    "We must stand resolutely against acts of violence, we must all work together to ensure we have a peaceful election," she said.
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Backside - what a friggin atrocity. A only Election time people want WATA
    Life is a system of half-truths and lies, opportunistic, convenient evasion.”
    - Langston Hughes

Comment

I wonder if this is not being done for the benefit of Harmony Cove more than anything else?

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Well at least there is the road repair program too.
        "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

BINGO.

I thought I was the only one to see this!

I see U have the eagle eye too....or the 3rd ee like Warbus Shatta.

Comment

Originally posted by Willi View Post
            BINGO.

I thought I was the only one to see this!

I see U have the eagle eye too....or the 3rd ee like Warbus Shatta.
            It takes cash to care..

All dem people a bawl fi water.. how dem bank account stay, what major developments are occuring nearby dem yard ?

Comment

Originally posted by MdmeX View Post
              Backside - what a friggin atrocity. A only Election time people want WATA
              Is that fair, MdmeX?

Has the PNP been working (present continuously working) on improving our water supply system?

Not at the pace we would like...but...?
              "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Originally posted by Karl View Post
                Is that fair, MdmeX?

Has the PNP been working (present continuously working) on improving our water supply system?

Not at the pace we would like...but...?
                Only cause election round the corner. Why must you embarrass yuhself komrade? Maudib and Comment asked you to grade yuh god dem performance and you went into hiding. I see yuh return now. Whey di grade deh?

Comment

Originally posted by Lazie View Post
                  Only cause election round the corner..
                  So you are saying all the work on improving water supplies done previously by the PNP...were aimed at winning elections?

Well if that is so the PNP has been on the road to winning elections continuously! If you ask me, in the case of improving infastructure...such as water supply for the people...that is a damn good thing!

...bwoy mi wish dem wudda tun more tuh more winning aff he-lec-shans an him-prove-ment aff dem tings lacka water, roads, education, health, fire services...etc. Yes, dem fi wuk arda hat winning he-lect-shans!
                  "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Originally posted by Karl View Post
                    So you are saying all the work on improving water supplies done previously by the PNP...were aimed at winning elections?

Well if that is so the PNP has been on the road to winning elections continuously! If you ask me, in the case of improving infastructure...such as water supply for the people...that is a damn good thing!

...bwoy mi wish dem wudda tun more tuh more winning aff he-lec-shans an him-prove-ment aff dem tings lacka water, roads, education, health, fire services...etc. Yes, dem fi wuk arda hat winning he-lect-shans!
                    Suh ignoring the people for 4 years and start doing 5hit cause election soon call is a good thing? Yet people wonder why these idiots leading for 18 years. Apparently them never hear bout people like you. Talk bout one fool leading many.

Comment

you want go a Portland, St.Mary and St.Thomas cause the only improvement in Water supply a RAINFALL so I hope Portia continue to pray and do her raindance.
                      • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Originally posted by Lazie View Post
                        Suh ignoring the people for 4 years and start doing 5hit cause election soon call is a good thing? Yet people wonder why these idiots leading for 18 years. Apparently them never hear bout people like you. Talk bout one fool leading many.
                        So you are narrowing your look from ALL-ISLAND to the limited small areas?

That makes sense...and or is fair???

Have you ever wondered how many areas need improved water supply? ...and, how many areas have seen improved water supply? Well?

Would it be sensible to look at what has been done previous to these elections...what more needs to be done...and, attempts to have more done...then, arrive at a reasoned conclusion?

...or, is it all about political milage - ignore what has been done and seek out areas where more needs to be done and highlight those to the exclusion of any good works done elsewhere?

Comment

How many people still carrying water pon them head fi miles?

The PNP has not done many major water supply in their 18 years in power.

If they had it wouldn't have to be priority this time around.
                          • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Originally posted by Assasin View Post

A Karl yuh nuh? The PNP is always right fi him. Karl and the other klan members only interested in the 5th term. Why suh much idiot end up pon one island is amazing. Hey Maudib, I think I understand what the Middle Passage affi duh wid statistics.

Comment

Originally posted by Assasin View Post

How many people all over the island still carrying water on their heads? So what happened during the earlier years? JLP and PNP? ...and, before this 18 year run, how many of the preceeding years were the JLP in power? More than 18 years? Could they then have had the entire island with great water supply system? ...or, the JLP time in power was not enough time?

Look - there are many things the entire island needed in 1944...and, after many years of JLP and PNP governments there are still many, many things the entire island need. The key is 'rate of progress'.

Is that 'rate of progress' up to the speed we all desire?
                              The answer is NO!

Comment

Working...
                              X