Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• J’cans’ #1 Records On Billboard Hot 100

Jamaicans Who Made Number One On Billboard’s Hot 100 Chart

The US Billboard Top 100 chart is, of course, by no means the only important chart. However, in a country with the third largest population on earth, success at the top of their national chart has immense financial and other benefits. Another reason I’ve limited this post to the US chart is as a logical follow-up to recent discussions here.

Please note that this is not meant to be an exhaustive list of singles by Jamaicans that made it to the very top of the Billboard Hot 100 chart; it is simply the songs that immediately spring to my mind. Other posters are welcome to add to the list.

“Kung Fu Fighting,” by Carl Douglas

“Here Comes the Hotstepper,” by Ini Kamoze

“It Wasn’t Me,” by Shaggy

“Angel of the Morning,” by Shaggy

“Get Busy,” by Sean Paul

“Temperature,” by Sean Paul

Note: Several singles by Jamaicans, like Millie Small’s “My Boy Lollipop”, Desmond Dekker’s “Israelites” and Shaggy’s “Boombastic” (to cite just three examples here) made the prestigious Top 10 of the Billboard Hot 100 Charts.

What is your point here Historian?

You know how hard it is to have a Top 100 hit song???

I heard Stevie Wonder say to have a Top 100 song is a one in a lift time thing and if you have one you are very lucky much less two.
    • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

mi israelites was # 1 in south africa if i am not mistaken (for sure a top 10)...all now i am not sure i know the words.

i also think my boy lollipop was a chart topper in the UK, not sure how it did stateside.

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Ok Histy here's a short list from memory for you. They may not have made number 1's but they were on several Billboard Charts during their peaks.

Grace Jones - Pull up to my Bumper
        Patra - Pull up to my Bumper
        Diana king - Shy Guy
        Super Cat - Dolly My Baby
        Super Cat remix with Kris Kross - Jump
        Super Cat with Heavy D - Dem no worry we
        Damian Marley - Welcome to Jamrock
        Gyptian
        Bounty Killer n No Doubt
        Lady Saw n No Doubt
        Baby Cham - Ghetto Story
        Tanto Metro n Devonte - Everybody Falls in Love
        Denroy Morgan - I'll Do anything for you
        Sheryl Lee Ralph - In The Evening
        Hey .. look at the bright side .... at least you're not a Liverpool fan! - Lazie 2/24/10 Paul Marin -19 is one thing, 20 is a whole other matter. It gets even worse if they win the UCL. *groan*. 05/18/2011.MU fans naah cough, but all a unuh a vomit?-Lazie 1/11/2015

Comment

I'm wondering myself. Look at the bubble gum chunes he just put up. "It wasn't me." - seriously?!

Sean Paul?! Really, Historian?

If those are the kinds of chunes that Chronixx have to start doing in order to make that august listing, some thing tells me he would rather put up with water lock-offs in Jamaica for the rest of his life.

From yuh see Bob not on it, that should tell you something.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Thanks, Gamma

Originally posted by Gamma View Post
            mi israelites was # 1 in south africa if i am not mistaken (for sure a top 10)...all now i am not sure i know the words.

i also think my boy lollipop was a chart topper in the UK, not sure how it did stateside.
            After starting this thread, I actually wondered if it had been a good idea to limit the discussion to the US Billboard Hot 100 Chart. However, it would be more challenging using European and African charts, as quite a number of Jamaican records have topped those UK, Holland, etc. charts.

What I think I should also have done instead is compile the Jamaicans who have made the Top 10 of the American chart, rather than the Number One spot. For example, Millie Small’s “My Boy Lollipop”, which you mentioned, went to the Number Two spot on the Billboard Hot 100 chart and Number Two in the UK as well.

And yes, “Israelites” was indeed a huge international hit for Desmond Dekker. Even in the USA, it did exceptionally well as it made the Top 10 of Billboard’s Hot 100 chart.

Comment

Shaaabba
              • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Misunderstanding My Reason!

Originally posted by Assasin View Post
                What is your point here Historian?

You know how hard it is to have a Top 100 hit song???

I heard Stevie Wonder say to have a Top 100 song is a one in a lift time thing and if you have one you are very lucky much less two.
                ‘Sass, you completely missed my reason for starting this thread!! My primary intention was to show that native Jamaicans can -- and indeed have -- made it to the very top of one of the most challenging charts to even enter, the US Billboard Hot 100 chart!

In other words, my purpose was only an historical one, which is why I encouraged others to make contributions as well, because I do not have a list of all the chart toppers.

Of course I am fully aware of the difficulty involved in making it on the Billboard charts! As far as the Number One spot is concerned, over the past several decades MOST American recording artists have NEVER reached near this spot!

Comment

How could forget my favourite DJ Shabba. The list is long. Sean Kingston (Even though he was born in Miami, I think we can claim him given his lineage and the fact that he grew up in Kingston) etc.
                  Hey .. look at the bright side .... at least you're not a Liverpool fan! - Lazie 2/24/10 Paul Marin -19 is one thing, 20 is a whole other matter. It gets even worse if they win the UCL. *groan*. 05/18/2011.MU fans naah cough, but all a unuh a vomit?-Lazie 1/11/2015

Comment

Dawn Penn - No no no

Comment

thanks. I just wanted to know before I comment as I didn't want to carry the baggage from the other post below .

Comment

"I want to wake up with you" Boris Gardener was number one in Britain
                        "Life" Frightie and Mike was also big in US and UK
                        Bonny M also had Jamaicans

Comment

Thanks Jangle, But....

Trust me, Jangle my friend, I know of many. However, I was focusing solely on the Hot 100 chart, which is where you find the big sellers.

By the way, regarding the No Doubt recordings, I deliberately ignored recordings in which Jamaicans were supporting acts, and this is because, for example, “Underneath It All” would almost certainly have reached the top of the charts even without Lady Saw’s segment. In fact, Sean Paul would had had THREE Number One Billboard Hot 100 hits, as the recording he did in collaboration with Beyonce went straight to the top of the charts.

Comment

Originally posted by Assasin View Post
                            "I want to wake up with you" Boris Gardener was number one in Britain
                            "Life" Frightie and Mike was also big in US and UK
                            Bonny M also had Jamaicans
                            Frighty & Colonel Mite. not sure this song made the Billboard charts and could be considered a hit. And I think Historian was sticking to hits in the US.

Comment

Well all of the names that I listed have been on Billboard Charts in the top 100. Billboard, however, has multiple charts, so a song can be a hit on one and not on another.

Comment

Working...
                              X