Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Contractor General completes investigations at JUTC

Wednesday, 26 November 2008

A report from the Office of the Contractor General's Special Investigation into the recent procurement practices of the Jamaica Urban Transit Company Limited (JUTC) has been sent to the Director of Public Prosecutions.

Copies have also been sent to Speaker of the House of Representatives, the President of the Senate and the Attorney General.

The OCG's Investigation which started in July, was prompted by allegations printed in an edition of the Sunday Herald Newspaper.

The story alluded to the JUTC awarding a contract to a company, in which the late Chairman of the JUTC, Douglas Chambers, was said to be "a major player".

According to a release from the OCG, some of the allegations inferred impropriety, a lack of transparency, cronyism, and a breach of the Government Procurement Guidelines.

The OCG says its investigation has focused on contracts allegedly awarded by the JUTC to Simber Productions Limited, Protection and Security Limited and Cool Petroleum Limited.

The OCG has not released the details of his findings publicly, but has sent copies of the 104 page Investigative report to the Minister of Transport and Works, Mike Henry.

Mr. Christie has also sent copies to the Acting Managing Director of the JUTC, Bindley Sangster and the Permanent Secretary in the Ministry of Transport and Works.

While refusing to comment directly on the findings, a release from the OCG points to Section 21 of the Contractor General's Act.

In summary, that section says "If a Contractor General finds, during the course of his investigations that there is evidence of a breach of duty or misconduct or criminal offence on the part of an officer or member of a Public Body, he shall refer the matter to those competent to take appropriate disciplinary action and shall present a special report on the matter before Parliament"

http://www.radiojamaica.com/content/view/13597/26/
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

I tried telling some of us on this forum that the Herald is not to be taken lightly. I'll say it again - the Herald breaks news that the other major newspapers are either scared to report on, or just late, months late!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

I tried telling others here - Corruption abounds! ...and it knows neither PNP or JLP or No P! It is everywhere!

Lazie says 'never in the JLP'...but he doesn't count.
      He is a partisan hack i.e. one exhibiting blind, prejudiced, and unreasoning allegiance!

PS: Matters not if it is found that there was criminality here....Corruption abounds!
      Last edited by Karl; November 27, 2008, 08:58 AM.
      "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

and what about the contractor general?
        • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Big up you know what you were talking about.

Herald is right sometimes, sometimes way off the mark but at least as you say they try to investigate things the "office reporters" don't.

Only if their commentary was a little bit more balance, it would give them some credibility.
          • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Originally posted by Assasin View Post
            and what about the contractor general?
            The only thing I said about the CG...and this was in response to him being upset that KD Knight among others wanted to know if he had hidden motives - He must also be subjected to scrunity to ensure there is no untoward agenda....that his hands are also scrupulously clean/his motives are for fairness and honesty!

Neither the CG as a person or his office is above scrutiny. In fact because of the purpose of the office and the nature of its work, that office and the CG and all who work in that office must be subjected to rigorous background vetting and constant scrunity...to ensure those in this office always walk the 'straight and narrow' as they do the people's work.
            "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Karl that was not the only thing you said about the man. You question every move the man made about the PNP and his motives. You question why the man was not investigating JLP contracts. At one point you asked "where was the CG".

It is not that he can't be questioned but when politicians try to be all over the man by trying to prove what can not be defended, that is not the time to question his motives.

Comment

Karl that was not the only thing you said about the man. You question every move the man made about the PNP and his motives. You question why the man was not investigating JLP contracts. At one point you asked "where was the CG".

It is not that he can't be questioned but when politicians try to be all over the man by trying to prove what can not be defended, that is not the time to question his motives.
                Kindly provide proof. This forum has a "search" feature.
                Thank you!

Comment

Mi nuh have fi look far

"Damn?!
                  The Contractor-General has come alive...

...or was he underminded?
                  An underling became so outraged that the underling sent out the requests and then informed the Contractor-General how it was realised that that is what he would have wanted? Underling to Contractor-General with face turning red from trying to keep a straight face: Among other things I am protecting your back, sir! "

Comment

Originally posted by Karl View Post
                    I tried telling others here - Corruption abounds! ...and it knows neither PNP or JLP or No P! It is everywhere!

Lazie says 'never in the JLP'...but he doesn't count.
                    He is a partisan hack i.e. one exhibiting blind, prejudiced, and unreasoning allegiance!

PS: Matters not if it is found that there was criminality here....Corruption abounds!
                    Stop gwaan like yuh dunce Karl. Nobody said no such thing. The issue was everytime something buss pon the former gov't, clowns like you try to deflect it or spin it to include the opposition.
                    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

Originally posted by Karl View Post
                      Kindly provide proof. This forum has a "search" feature.
                      Thank you!
                      Yuh losing it Karl .. Sass is telling the truth.

Comment

what about the contractor general?

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Big up you know what you were talking about.

Herald is right sometimes, sometimes way off the mark but at least as you say they try to investigate things the "office reporters" don't.

Only if their commentary was a little bit more balance, it would give them some credibility.
                          Matter of opinion, Sass. Balance sometimes means sucking up to advertisers and partisan bosses.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

That was direct to Karl who have question his every move and acuse the man of been egotistic.

Comment

"Balance sometimes means sucking up to advertisers and partisan bosses."

You maybe right but the list of people doing editoral and columns are 90% known PNP activitists.

I read their investigate pieces as it is good reading and use to read less of their columns.

Comment

Working...
                              X