Reggae Boyz Supporterz Club Forums

Go Back   Reggae Boyz Supporterz Club Forums > Reggae Boyz Supporterz Club Forums > The Everything Jamaica Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

The Everything Jamaica Forum This forum is for topics Jamaican or international/world issues which members may have an interest in discussing.

Old January 5th, 2021, 08:29 AM
Reggae Prime Minister

Default Walk God Butch

a jamaican hero...
Old January 5th, 2021, 08:34 AM
Reggae Prime Minister

Sad to hear. RIP Butch Stewart. Well done, Innings well played.
Old January 5th, 2021, 09:10 AM
Reggae Prime Minister

A true Jamaican hero
Hey .. look at the bright side .... at least you're not a Liverpool fan! - Lazie 2/24/10 Paul Marin -19 is one thing, 20 is a whole other matter. It gets even worse if they win the UCL. *groan*. 05/18/2011.MU fans naah cough, but all a unuh a vomit?-Lazie 1/11/2015
Old January 5th, 2021, 09:54 AM
Reggae Prime Minister

Always stepped in to assist the country. RIP Mr. Stewart.
Old January 5th, 2021, 12:05 PM
Reggae Prime Minister

Never met the man...but see his works.

HL
Old January 5th, 2021, 03:11 PM
Reggae Prime Minister

I have a brethren who started as a concierge supervisor as a youth out of high school. He worked with the company for years and got his bachelor degree 100 percent covered and was one of the head of the reservation company. When he was about to migrate, Butch call him in and said he can work with Sandals in the US until he is settled and ready to take on something else if he wanted.

That is the Butch Stewart many don't know. You will soon hear how many people going to come out and say what he has done for them.
Old January 5th, 2021, 04:55 PM
Reggae Prime Minister

I attended the annual Jamaican Jamboree in Central Park NY several years ago.

One of the reggae entertainer on stage (won't call name) started to 'bun fire 🔥 pan Butch Stewart ' (among others).

Later learned from one of the Jamboree organizer...that Butch who owned Air Jamaica, was not only a sponsor; but was responsible for flying in all the entertainers to NY.

HL
Old January 5th, 2021, 05:37 PM
Reggae Prime Minister

No company in Jamaica provide more educational opportunity to their worker than Butch Stewart's company. Butch provided a lot of opportunities for workers to upgrade themselves and gave a lot the chance to work in other islands where his property is. One of my Chef brethren who was trainee just reminded me that Butch personally gave him a scholarship to study in Canada and perfect his craft. Dem can bun all the fire on Butch but do they give back anything to anyone than their bad man friend?
Old January 5th, 2021, 07:30 PM
Reggae Prime Minister

13000 + employed how much people they employ? bunch a yappers...
Old January 5th, 2021, 09:00 PM
Reggae Prime Minister

.....the visiting forum dummy soon come ...and start callin people dummy.....

HL
Old January 5th, 2021, 09:28 PM
Reggae Prime Minister

Low hanging fruits jobs. Trinket makers and butlers. Waste jobs dem dat
Hey .. look at the bright side .... at least you're not a Liverpool fan! - Lazie 2/24/10 Paul Marin -19 is one thing, 20 is a whole other matter. It gets even worse if they win the UCL. *groan*. 05/18/2011.MU fans naah cough, but all a unuh a vomit?-Lazie 1/11/2015
Old January 6th, 2021, 10:34 AM
Reggae Prime Minister

plus the countless others who have been trained and have gone on to be entrepreneurs or contributing in other fields.

Walk good Butch.
Old January 6th, 2021, 01:09 PM
Reggae Prime Minister

the original dummy...he & his sidekick sir dummy soon forward man...they can't resist
Old January 6th, 2021, 04:29 PM

He was my neighbour growing up and he was a good one. His son Jon and I were very good friends in high school. So I may be a little biased.

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine
Old January 10th, 2021, 03:50 AM
Reggae Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bricktop View Post
a jamaican hero...
Certainly is.He died left Im money given ja.Jamaica
Was his wife.Sell sandals jamaica and it becomes
NIR with a Auditor to disclose what was done.
The Ones in the islands too.
That jamaica can finish 4th .Am not a sadist.
Is how we approach each game.Good luck.

Q22 is like festival jamaica in the 80s.
Old January 12th, 2021, 11:49 AM

I worked for Butch in the mid 80s. The company hero-worshipped him, to the detriment of the company sometimes.

Many salesmen made a lot of money working for ATL to the point where they could move on for themselves. But I always wondered what happened to those waiters, bartenders, cooks at the hotels. I don't believe many were able to break themselves free from poverty while working there.

Some of his directors were some of Jamaica's wrenkest high-brown Jamaicans.

So, my feelings on the life of Butch are mixed.

BLACK LIVES MATTER
Old January 12th, 2021, 12:11 PM
Reggae Prime Minister

Go back and check. A lot of people who work for Butch in the hotels are able to get good training and improve themselves. A lot of the people who work with him get opportunities to step up. A good amount can tell you they started as chef but are now their own boss or in management. Because of the growth of Sandals a lot of them get opportunities to go to other islands in management capacity. Butch provide more training to his staff than any other hotelier in Jamaica. A good amount get to go University without paying a cent and other training as well.
Old January 12th, 2021, 12:34 PM
Reggae Prime Minister

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosiah View Post
I worked for Butch in the mid 80s. The company hero-worshipped him, to the detriment of the company sometimes.

Many salesmen made a lot of money working for ATL to the point where they could move on for themselves. But I always wondered what happened to those waiters, bartenders, cooks at the hotels. I don't believe many were able to break themselves free from poverty while working there.

Some of his directors were some of Jamaica's wrenkest high-brown Jamaicans.

So, my feelings on the life of Butch are mixed.
fair enough assessment...by the way do you know how much a sandals butler is compensated each month? you'd be surprised...what about the rest of the ecosystem? farmers...taxi operators...craft vendors...tour operators...etc.? you think the warehouse workers at Carimed can bruck out of poverty? do you have similar feelings towards glen christian?
Old January 12th, 2021, 01:46 PM
Reggae Prime Minister

case and point

http://www.travelweekly.com/Caribbea...-opportunities
Old January 13th, 2021, 10:01 AM
Reggae Prime Minister

Please Mr Stewart was not the panacea for Jamaicas problems, he was born into the shitstem, did his best to fix it or as much as he could , with all his faults. Give thanks for the effort and to the effort.

Nothing for your tender egos to get protective about.

Thank yuh Mr. Stewart.

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.
Old January 13th, 2021, 11:47 AM

Yes, I went on training courses when I worked for ATL as well. Turned out they were a waste of time but I visited Panama twice on the company's dime.

So, the courses allowed these persons to go on and better themselves. But why can't they advance at Sandals?

BLACK LIVES MATTER
Old January 13th, 2021, 12:43 PM
Reggae Prime Minister

Maybe in the early years they didn't but a many has advanced as Sandals became a larger company. But you have to realize that sometimes you have to move to get ahead. I knew a few people who have been able move up within Sandals.

Nowadays in Jamaican tourism workers move pretty often to get ahead as new hotels open but many of Sandals workers stay so there must be a reason.
Old January 13th, 2021, 12:57 PM
Reggae Prime Minister

Also remember sometimes a bell hop, waiters and housekeeper carry home more money that their managers, and chefs although some of the hotels say "no tips". I remember working with a guy and said he is not interested in working in any other department than been a bellhop as he doesn't have to touch his pay, it goes straight to saving.
Old January 16th, 2021, 01:16 PM

Many workers in Jamaica stay where they are because jobs are so few! That included me! Not too many companies felt they needed my skills so, for the few that did, I had to hang on and get paid whatever they wanted to pay me.

BLACK LIVES MATTER
Old January 16th, 2021, 01:48 PM
Reggae Prime Minister

Yes many do but in the last few years before last year, the worker mobility between hotels was very high as new hotels open up and people got more opportunities.

You may also not realize but for most waiters, Bellman and Housekeeper may make their money in tips which can be more than their managers sometimes. Many rather hold on to their jobs as a form of security and have a taxi running, a farm, shop, Air B&B or small business on the side. It is not a one size fit all scenario for all. Some work in Jamaica in the winter and come US or Canada for summer where they make another income.