Your All-Time Favorite Soca Record?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Your All-Time Favorite Soca Record?

For me, my all-time favorite soul-calypso (soca) and traditional calypso recordings are, in order from most favorite at the top:

1. “Hot, Hot, Hot”, by Arrow
    2. “Government Boots”, by Gabby
    3. “Bonnie & Clyde”, by Destra Garcia
    4. “Who the Hell is Kim?” by TC
    5. “Good Morning, Mr. Walker”, by the Mighty Sparrow

What are your favorites?

Originally posted by Historian View Post
    For me, my all-time favorite soul-calypso (soca) and traditional calypso recordings are, in order from most favorite at the top:

1. “Hot, Hot, Hot”, by Arrow
    2. “Government Boots”, by Gabby
    3. “Bonnie & Clyde”, by Destra Garcia
    4. “Who the Hell is Kim?” by TC
    5. “Good Morning, Mr. Walker”, by the Mighty Sparrow

What are your favorites?

1. Bang Bang Lulu - Sparrow
    2. Saltfish - Sparrow
    3. Pump Me Up- Krosfyah
    4. Blame it on the Music - Rupee
    5. Glow - Allison Hinds/ David Rudder.
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

Mr Walker is before Soca, nuh suh?

Comment

Where does Calypso end and Soca begins? It is like where did Dancehall begin.
        • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

TDowl, Just List Your Favorites!

Originally posted by TDowl View Post
          Mr Walker is before Soca, nuh suh?
          TDowl, the first sentence in my post above was:

Originally posted by Historian
          For me, my all-time favorite soul-calypso (soca) and traditional calypso recordings are, in order from….
          I can post a short history of soca and calypso if the need arises, boss! In the meantime, just list your favorites!

Comment

Thanks, Lazie

Originally posted by Lazie View Post
            1. Bang Bang Lulu - Sparrow
            2. Saltfish - Sparrow
            3. Pump Me Up- Krosfyah
            4. Blame it on the Music - Rupee
            5. Glow - Allison Hinds/ David Rudder.
            Thank you for sharing these calypso and soca gems, Lazie . Thankfully, you did not engage in the music “politicking” that transpired below, but instead simply listed your favorites.

Comment

I don' remember much soca (or calypso) right now. I do remember one particular song by Mighty Sparrow with the following lyrics:
              "...little Miss Mary, big and hairy..."
              I always wondered what was he singing about. Was it that Miss Mary was little, but also showed masculine traits by being hairy? Or was is that Miss Mary's (hell, look at the time, gotto go!)
              "Only when you drink from the river of silence shall you indeed sing. And when you have reached the mountain top, then you shall begin to climb. And when the earth shall claim your limbs, then shall you truly dance." ~ Kahlil Gibran

Comment

I really have to think because ofcourse Hot Hot is my number one
                I also like" Bills" by Arrow and "Capitalism gone Mad" by Sparrow but then I have to think through the years , Byron Lee, Rose , Gabby, etc. Then you have the new era, Burning Flames, Allison Hinds, Mantona etc.

Never really thought about my top 5 before.
                • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Sparrow is the King but Rudder is my favorite:

1. Bachannal Lady - Rudder
                  2. Mr walker - Sparrow
                  3. The Beach is Mine - Gabby
                  4. London Bridge - Sparrow
                  5. Rally Round the WI - Rudder
                  6. Die With my Dignity - Singing Sandra

Honorable Mention - Bills , Bills by Arrow

Rudder, Gabby and Sparrow are songwriters of the highest order
                  Last edited by Islandman; July 8, 2014, 07:52 PM.
                  "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

I can't say these are my ALL-TIME favorites, but I liked these:

1. Congo Man - Sparrow
                    2. Government Boots - Gabby
                    3. Ring Ting Ting - The Merrymen
                    4. Swinging Engine - Burning Flames
                    5. Turn it Round - Square One
                    Hey .. look at the bright side .... at least you're not a Liverpool fan! - Lazie 2/24/10 Paul Marin -19 is one thing, 20 is a whole other matter. It gets even worse if they win the UCL. *groan*. 05/18/2011.MU fans naah cough, but all a unuh a vomit?-Lazie 1/11/2015

Comment

love in the cemetery - Lord Kitchener
                      dragon dance - sparrow meets the dragon
                      margarita - sparrow
                      bin lion - 3canal
                      archie - the merry men

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Love Your Selections!

Originally posted by Jangle View Post
                        I can't say these are my ALL-TIME favorites, but I liked these:

1. Congo Man - Sparrow
                        2. Government Boots - Gabby
                        3. Ring Ting Ting - The Merrymen
                        4. Swinging Engine - Burning Flames
                        5. Turn it Round - Square One
                        Seriously good selections, Jangle! I love all five of your songs, and already you’re causing me to look at my list again (lol)!

For example (to cite only one here), can you imagine a party without Burning Flames’ “Swinging Engine”?

Comment

The Trinis Are Impressive!

It’s amazing the immense technological, rhythmic and lyrical growth that soca (soul-calypso) has experienced since the early days of calypso (Trinidad’s Lord Kitchener, Lord Pretender, and the Mighty Sparrow, Barbados’ the Merrymen, etc.).

Today’s soca recordings are, in many cases, a real joy to listen to: Square One, Destra Garcia, Machel Montano, Burning Flames, Krosfyah, Arrow, etc. What we have are superb singers, musicians, songwriters, arrangers, engineers and record producers!

Trinidad & Tobago is an innovative nation, in addition to being an interesting one. Not only did the natives create a fascinating genre, calypso (which later became soca) but Trinis also gave us the only musical instrument invented in the Western Hemisphere, the steel drums.

Thank you all for your contributions to this thread, gentlemen!

Comment

sparrow is from Grenada but i digress..

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Thanks, Boss (Lol)

Originally posted by Gamma View Post
                              sparrow is from Grenada but i digress..
                              Thanks for the correction, Gamma. You are correct. (I had completely forgotten this fact about Sparrow.)

Comment

Working...
                              X