Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: U-17 Updates - Must win match!

Originally posted by Mosiah View Post
    Not true at all. I estimate the crowd as around 3,500. The grandstand looked well-attended!
    The First game was well attended..

Tonight was Die-Hards only..

Comment

And we were more than I expected!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

U17 MNT qualifies for Korea; drops 3-2 heartbreaker to Jamaica

It was the best of times and the worst of times for the U.S. U17 Men’s National Team here Friday night.

The bottom line for John Hackworth’s squad is mission accomplished as the squad qualified for the FIFA U17 World Cup before it even kicked a ball on Matchday 4 of the CONCACAF Qualifying Tournament. The 2nd half of the Dickensian equation came via a loss under some of the worst imaginable circumstances, surrendering a 2-0 lead in the final 11 minutes of the match to drop a 3-2 decision to tournament hosts Jamaica.

The U.S. qualified before the opening kickoff as Trinidad & Tobago’s 2-1 win over Canada meant only 1 team could possibly pass the U.S. 6-point total (due to Jamaica and Trinidad playing each other on Sunday). The U.S. had won its 1st 2 matches, 3-0 vs Trinidad & Tobago and 2-1 vs. Canada.

(continue)
        "Donovan was excellent. We knew he was a good player, but he really didn't do anything wrong in the whole game and made it difficult for us."
        - Xavi

Comment

Congrats to the boys

good luck to them on sunday
          • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Originally posted by Zeppo View Post
            It is actually your first defeat of USA anywhere at any level.

Congrats, and good luck with your remaining games.
            I just love the faith you are now showing!

Expect us to reach the FIFA World Finals...huh?

Yes? YES!

Go REGGAE Youth! Go!
            "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Re: Congrats to the boys

Originally posted by Assasin View Post
              good luck to them on sunday
              Yes Iyah!
              I woke up this morning and the first thing on my mind was this historic victory...and, I broke out with a H U G E smile!

Congrats to David Hunt and his band of U-17 Reggae Youth! Many you go from strength to strength!

FORWARD!
              "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Marin View Post
                Good job Karl...very entertaining following your updates. My bredrin Peleten just called me hoarse like ****************...said there were only about 100 people in the stadium...now that is sad...so much a we miss history.
                Thanks, boss!

...perhaps, we can get a copy of this match in our RBSC Library. The Massive could then take turns borrowing/viewing...

...we'll see what we can do!

Comment

Originally posted by Karl View Post
                  I just love the faith you are now showing!

Expect us to reach the FIFA World Finals...huh?
                  Easy there. I simply congratulated your team and wished you guys good luck in your upcoming games. I'm not sure exactly what you're reading into that.

I'm sure the first ever victory against a U.S. team is something to celebrate, but I really don't see the reason to get cocky.

You have to remember that yesterday's game for the Boyz was played against a team that was already qualified and had nothing to play for.

It won't be that way when you face the Trinis.
                  "Donovan was excellent. We knew he was a good player, but he really didn't do anything wrong in the whole game and made it difficult for us."
                  - Xavi

Comment

They had everything to play for because they did not know they already qualified. I was at the press conference so I know!

And the USA does not like losing to any side, regardless! They have not done so in 11 years and I'm sure it's not the first time they have been in this position.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Boy dont make me laugh now rite dont make me laugh..... the usa was on 6 canada was on 4 and costa rica on 7 .... And the usa did not know the score before they played. or during the half time break? they met there while the tnt match was going on in a qualifying competiton and they did not know their situation .... yeah ok....... now they dont like loosing eh change of tone
                      ..... again nothing to play for had this been a must win it would have been different scenario ...

Comment

Originally posted by Zeppo View Post

You have to remember that yesterday's game for the Boyz was played against a team that was already qualified and had nothing to play for.
                        Wonder why I never heard this from you before?

Wonder why your team scored those two goals....and, led up until the 80 minute? Seems to you like a team that did not have desire?

You did right in congratulating us for the astonishing win. Don't spoil it by making 'back-handed' comments? Pleeease?

Congratulations on your early - previous to our game - qualifying. Hopefully we'll see you at the World Champuionships and flog you once more.

Peace out!
                        Let's have a

Comment

Hey Trini Man...

Hey NAMIIRIT..ot watver yh call yuh self. USA had nothing to play for ??? That's a load of T&T curry ****************eeeeeeee !!!...USA pride does not allow them to play for nothing. You are just FRETTING bout the buss ass that is being prepared your team on Sunday...So just CONGRATULATE us, and wait with some degree of patience for yuh BUSS ASS .

PEACE!!
                          Sunday, August 28th, 2011. We will never forget !!

Comment

For the third straight game, the U.S. notched two goals in the opening half as Sheanon Williams and Alex Nimo scored, but three goals by Jamaica, including a penalty kick in injury time, sunk the U.S. chances of staying undefeated.

The loss broke the USA’s 18-game undefeated streak in qualifying matches at the U-17 age level. The U.S. had not lost a U-17 qualifying match since Aug. 26, 1996, when they fell in the final round to Mexico, 3-1.

The U.S. continued their streak as the only country to qualify for every FIFA U-17 World Cup and will now attempt to win their qualifying group for the fourth straight time when they face off against Costa Rica in their final match on Sunday, May 6 at 6 p.m. ET. Fans can follow the match live on ussoccer.com’s MatchTracker.

“We may have qualified before the match, but our main focus was always on Jamaica and we didn’t get the result we wanted,” said U.S. Under-17 Men’s National Team head coach John Hackworth, who qualified for his second straight World Cup. “Give a lot of credit to Jamaica for coming back, but we need to rectify things that we didn’t do well. I thought we started playing more direct and playing for a 2-0 result, which you can’t do. We didn’t handle it right and now we’ll have to try and turn things around against Costa Rica.”

“Right now it’s a bit difficult to celebrate that we qualified for South Korea, but we did accomplish one of the goals we had so I’m proud of our players for getting that done. But they know we came here with bigger aspirations and that was to win the group. We’ll get prepared to the best of our ability for Costa Rica.”

Costa Rica, which leads the group with seven points, qualified for the World Cup after their third match on Wednesday. The U.S. and Costa Rica faced off for the qualifying group title in 2005 as well, with the U.S. winning, 2-1, in Heredia, Costa Rica.

Canada, Jamaica and Trinidad & Tobago are all still alive and have a chance to qualify for the World Cup depending on the result of the final match of the tournament between Jamaica and Trinidad & Tobago. Canada, which has a bye on the final match day, finished with only four points and can only qualify if the match finishes in a draw.

The U.S. was once again without the services of leading scorer Ellis McLoughlin, who was suspended for two games after receiving a red card late against Trinidad & Tobago in the team’s opening match, but Sheanon Williams picked up the scoring from his right back position in the 15th minute. The former forward, playing in his third game in five days, collected a long ball from Mykell Bates down the right sideline and looked up to see he had space in front of him. Noticing the goalkeeper a bit out of position, Williams uncorked a rocket from the right corner of the penalty area into the upper left corner, hitting side netting.

The U.S. took a commanding two-goal lead in the 33rd minute when Nimo scored his third goal of the tournament. Forward Billy Schuler dropping back in the midfield to help defend, got a hold of the ball and quickly feed Nimo out wide right where he was unmarked and had space to run. Nimo collected the ball 25 yards from goal and dribble on goal uncontested, slipping the ball past Jamaican goalkeeper Oneil Wilson and into the lower left corner.

As the second half went along, the U.S. steadily got away from their game plan and had trouble keeping possession or creating much of an attack. Jamaica on the other hand, started to build momentum and found gaps in the U.S. backline to push forward and test Lambo.

After a questionable foul was called against Jared Jeffrey, giving Jamaica a dangerous free kick at the top of the box, Hackworth was sent off for expressing his displeasure with the call in the 70th minute. Hackworth may have to sit out the USA’s final match against Costa Rica, but a final ruling will be provided by CONCACAF on Saturday.

Shortly after Hackworth’s departure, Jamaica got on the scoreboard in the 78th minute. A nice give-and-go on the left sideline allowed a cross into the box to find Shamari Brown, who had time to take a settling touch before finishing a 15-yard strike past Lambo.

Four minutes later, Jamaica scored the equalizer that was started with another give-and-go, but this time from the right side between John Ross Doyley and Brown. Free down the sideline, Doyley served in a cross to the back post that was headed back across by Andre Steele to Orgill Dever who hit a one-timer into the lower right corner.

With just injury time left deciding Jamaica’s fate, the hosts pushed forward into the attack knowing they needed a victory to keep their World Cup hopes alive. With the crowd back into the match, Kabari Palmer pushed up the left sideline and sent in a cross that hit Bates arm. The referee pointed to the spot and the crowd erupted when Doyley stepped up and roofed the shot into the upper netting past Lambo for the game-winner.

Jamaica’s coach, David Hunt, didn’t see the final moments of the match as he was also sent off by the referee for leaving the coaches box in front of the bench.

The U.S. became the 18th team to qualify for the 2007 FIFA U-17 World Cup and the fourth of five CONCACAF teams. The other two CONCACAF berths (besides Costa Rica) are Haiti and Honduras, which qualified from Group A. The U.S. will find out their opponents for the FIFA 2007 U-17 World Cup later this month when the draw is held in South Korea.

This will be the second team Hackworth will take to a FIFA U-17 World Cup, having coached the U.S. Under-17s at the 2005 event in Peru, leading the team to an impressive fifth place finish.

U.S. midfielder/forward Abdusalam Ibrahim will be unavailable for the Costa Rica match as he received his second caution of the tournament a few minutes later.

- U.S. Under-17 Men’s National Team Game Report -
                            Participants: USA vs. Jamaica
                            Competition: CONCACAF Group B Qualifying Tournament (Final Round)
                            Date: May 4, 2007
                            Weather: Warm, 80 degrees

Scoring Summary:
                            1 2 F
                            USA 2 0 2
                            JAM 0 3 3

USA – Sheanon Williams (Mykell Bates) 15th minute
                            USA – Alex Nimo (Billy Schuler) 33.
                            JAM – Shamari Brown 78.
                            JAM – Orgill Dever (Andre Steele) 82.
                            JAM – John Ross Doyley (penalty kick) 91+

Lineups:
                            USA: 1-Josh Lambo; 2-Sheanon Williams, 3-Mykell Bates (Capt.), 6-Daniel Wenzel, 16-Brandon Zimmerman, 19-Alex Nimo (12-Brendan King, 68), 8-Jared Jeffrey, 7-Nicholas Millington, 15-Brek Shea (11-Abdusalam Ibrahim, 61); 10-Bryan Dominguez (14-Jesse Paredes, 80), 13-Billy Schuler.
                            Subs not used: 4-Howard Turk, 5-Thomas Meyer, 17-Gregory Garza, 18-Zach MacMath, 20-Alex Dixon
                            Not Available: 9-Ellis McLoughlin

Head Coach: John Hackworth

JAM: 1-Oneil Wilson, 20-Shamari Brown, 17-Jermaine Jarret, 18-Damaine Thompson, 8-Kenniel Hyde; 4-Christopher Banner (15-Noel Mais, 24), 19-Kabari Palmer, 16- John Ross Doyley, 23-Yannick Salmon (7-Akeen Brown. 59); 11-Dever Orgill, 22-Christopher Wauch (5-Andre Steele, 73)
                            Subs not used: 3-Peter Kafach, 9-Marvin Boothe, 10-McKauly Tulloch, 12-Adrian Christian, 13-Andre Blake, 14-Shabon Brown.
                            Head Coach: David Hunt

Statistical Summary: USA JAM
                            Shots 11 9
                            Shots on goal 2 5
                            Saves 3 0
                            Fouls 16 5
                            Corner Kicks 2 4
                            Offside 13 0

Misconduct Summary:
                            JAM – Damaine Thompson (caution) 36th minute
                            JAM – John Ross Doyley (caution) 84.

Officials:
                            Referee: Luis Rodriguez (PAN)
                            1st Assistant: Hector Delgadillo (MEX)
                            2nd Assistant: Hiron Dopicio Perez (CUB)
                            Fourth Official: Roberto Garcia (MEX)

Sierra Mist Man of the Match: Sheanon Williams

2007 Final Round CONCACAF Qualifying Tournament

RESULTS / STANDINGS
                            Team GP W L T GF GA GD Pts.
                            CRC 3 2 0 1 3 0 +3 7
                            USA 3 2 1 0 7 4 +3 6
                            CAN 4 1 2 1 5 4 +1 4
                            JAM 3 1 2 0 3 6 -3 3
                            TRI 3 1 2 0 2 6 -4 3

Saturday, April 28
                            Costa Rica 2, Trinidad & Tobago 0
                            Canada 3, Jamaica 0

Monday, April 30
                            Costa Rica 0, Canada 0
                            USA 3, Trinidad & Tobago 0

Wednesday, May 2
                            USA 2, Canada 1
                            Costa Rica 1, Jamaica 0

Friday, May 4
                            Trinidad & Tobago 2, Canada 1
                            Jamaica 3, USA 2

Sunday, May 6
                            USA vs. Costa Rica
                            Jamaica vs. Trinidad & Tobago

Comment

Originally posted by Karl View Post

“We may have qualified before the match, but our main focus was always on Jamaica and we didn’t get the result we wanted,” said U.S. Under-17 Men’s National Team head coach John Hackworth, who qualified for his second straight World Cup. “Give a lot of credit to Jamaica for coming back, but we need to rectify things that we didn’t do well. I thought we started playing more direct and playing for a 2-0 result, which you can’t do. We didn’t handle it right and now we’ll have to try and turn things around against Costa Rica.”

Right now it’s a bit difficult to celebrate that we qualified for South Korea, but we did accomplish one of the goals we had so I’m proud of our players for getting that done. But they know we came here with bigger aspirations and that was to win the group. We’ll get prepared to the best of our ability for Costa Rica.”

Seems there was more than enough motivation to beat the REGGAE YOUTH.

Unfortunately for the US, the REGGAE YOUTH were not about to roll over and play dead.

Great victory for the REGGAE YOUTH!

Whipping T'dad & Tobago would be the icing on the cake!

Comment

Originally posted by Mosiah View Post
                                They had everything to play for because they did not know they already qualified. I was at the press conference so I know!
                                Wrong, amigo.

As soon as the T&T game was finished the USA was qualified.

You don't think the U.S. players were keeping up with the other results?

The U.S. Soccer matchtracker announced their qualification before the US vs. JA game had even kicked off!
                                - Xavi

Comment

Working...
                                X