Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No Howard Aris - Reform JAAA first and then lets talk

JAAA needs $$$ for athletes support

Posted by admin on Oct 1st, 2009 and filed under Featured 591 views Print This Post Email This Post

KINGSTON – President of the Jamaica Amateur Athletic Association, Howard Aris, is saying that to adequately fund the country’s track & field programme a cost of $200 million (US$ 2 258 723) would be incurred.

JAAA President Howard Aris (left), 1St VP Grace Jackson (centre) and secretary Garth Gayle at a recently held association function. TrackAlerts.com Photo

He added that the primary aim of such a budget would be “to assist the athletes in their preparation, medical expenses, meals and housing expenses.”

This would avoid them the burden of having to work and as a result, spend more time perfecting their talents on the track.

“If we have the money, ideally, we would spend half on the athletes as we spent on teams going abroad,” Aris said.
    “That to me would be a good mix because the whole idea [is that] you train to represent Jamaica and therefore there should be some balance between how much you assist in preparation and how much you spend in competing.”

The annual cost to send teams to overseas meets is normally over $60 million (US$ 677 583).

The country’s CARIFTA Games party comprises over 80 members each year while the Central America and Caribbean (CAC) Junior Championships accounts for a similar number every two years.

google_protectAndRun("ads_core.google_render_ad", google_handleError, google_render_ad);

Jamaica also sends athletes to World Championships, World Juniors, World Youths, the North, Central America and the Caribbean (NACAC) Under-23 and Cross Country Championships, and the Pan Am Junior Championships.

“When you check our records, we spend somewhere between $60 to 70 million every year just to send teams abroad,” he said, while adding teams were growing in number because of Jamaica’s recent successes.

Aris noted, however, that his association has received more sponsorship in the last four years than ever.

He also defended the JAAA’s record in helping local athletes.
    “The whole question is whether or not we have enough money to give to our athletes,” Aris said.

“We do try to assist every athlete that asks, but not all athletes ask and therefore if someone does not ask, then it is difficult to know that they have needs … and there are athletes who never ask because they never have needs.”

var addthis_pub = '';var addthis_language = 'en';var addthis_options = 'email, favorites, digg, delicious, twitter, google, facebook, reddit, live, more';

TrackAlerts.com welcomes your thoughts and opinions. You agree not to post comments that are off topic, defamatory, obscene, racist, abusive, and threatening or an invasion of privacy. Violators may be banned. Click here for our full comment policy/agreement

The clubs should be the backbone of the system. Any role that the JAAA plays would have to be mimimal, tighly regulated and fairly administered (no friend business.)
    Last edited by Karl; October 3, 2009, 04:44 PM.
    The same type of thinking that created a problem cannot be used to solve the problem.

so like how them a do so well you nuh think them shoulda talk to Puma fi bump up the sponsorship dollar?
    • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

The clubs will never be the backbone of 'the system'. That can only occur if you make all schools and institutions clubs.

Sure the JAAA must be tightly regulated and fairly administered...but it is the JAAA that must cajole, ecourage and spur growth! The JAAA must work with the teacher training colleges, schools and the clubs for the benefit of those institutions and Jamaica!

Talent abounds! ...not just in the clubs! Talent abounds across the legth and breath of the island!

It appears that many presently in the clubs and those who appear to be mere pawns in the hand s of the clubs have forgotten where we are coming from and where our talent base lies?

It lies right across the island...and as it was, it still is being unearth and nurished at the schools...then handed to the clubs with talent burnished awaiting further polishing and fine-tuning!

Lazie, weh yuh deh?
      Talent abounds!
      "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

what has/is the JAAA been doing? oh I forgot, obtaining visas and plane tickets, my bad.

If champs is the answer, i should write Burrell a thank you letter for adminsitering over the Manning/Decosta Cup.
        Karl commenting on Maschaeroni's sending off, "Getting sent off like that is anti-TEAM!
        Terrible decision by the player!":busshead::Laugh&roll::Laugh&roll::eek::La ugh&roll:

Comment

Originally posted by Yuttie View Post
          what has/is the JAAA been doing? oh I forgot, obtaining visas and plane tickets, my bad.

If champs is the answer, i should write Burrell a thank you letter for adminsitering over the Manning/Decosta Cup.
          I answered this already...! on the T&F site. It may be the powers over there dislike the JAAA and do not like any truth that shows them in a light that is not terrible?!

...however, as I ended my post then (...and I could say the same for the JFF) ...the lack of professionalism and the pace at which the JAAA moves is cause for annoyance with that organisation's performance.
          "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

is this pace "across the ground"?

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

lol... repost
              Karl commenting on Maschaeroni's sending off, "Getting sent off like that is anti-TEAM!
              Terrible decision by the player!":busshead::Laugh&roll::Laugh&roll::eek::La ugh&roll:

Comment

What the hell are U talking about?

Also, ISSA is in charge of school athletics, not JAAA.

Comment

Originally posted by Willi View Post
                  What the hell are U talking about?

Also, ISSA is in charge of school athletics, not JAAA.
                  ...the JAAA that must cajole, ecourage and spur growth! The JAAA must work with the teacher training colleges, schools and the clubs for the benefit of those institutions and Jamaica!

Wake up, Sir Willi! Wake up!

Comment

Originally posted by Gamma View Post
                    is this pace "across the ground"?

Comment

dissolve ISSA?

Comment

Originally posted by Karl View Post
                        ...the JAAA that must cajole, ecourage and spur growth! The JAAA must work with the teacher training colleges, schools and the clubs for the benefit of those institutions and Jamaica!

Wake up, Sir Willi! Wake up!
                        No Karl, ISSA doing an excellent jobs with the schools, the best thing for the schools is for the JAAA to keep out.

The next best thing is for the JAAA to give ISSA some money without conditions but knowing JAAA I would not trust them to try and corrupt the ISSA system with secret conditions.
                        The same type of thinking that created a problem cannot be used to solve the problem.

Comment

Thank you.

Comment

Dont want to address this:
                            "I answered this already...! on the T&F site. It may be the powers over there dislike the JAAA and do not like any truth that shows them in a light that is not terrible?"

Comment

Originally posted by Time View Post
                              No Karl, ISSA doing an excellent jobs with the schools, the best thing for the schools is for the JAAA to keep out.

The next best thing is for the JAAA to give ISSA some money without conditions but knowing JAAA I would not trust them to try and corrupt the ISSA system with secret conditions.
                              Time the JAAAs used to arrange coaching courses for the school coaches and assist the sports department of teacher training colleges.

Besides the work in teacher training colleges and GC Foster how do you think the many primary schools and secondary schools coaches learnt the 'coaching trade'?

btw - Before GC Foster College how do you think most schools developed their coaches?

It has been a slow gradual sharing of knowledge and passing on of knowledge....and the JAAA has played its part. When I attended Mico Teachers College Freddie Green then JAAA big-wig was head of the sports department. Sure Freddie went abroad and studied (at Leeds University I think it was)...but he was a part of the administration at the JAAA who got overseas experts here to impart and share knowledge.

All members of the sports department were taught to be Meet Directors. Hell...you were going out to organise meets at the schools. You were taught to 'mark out' tracks. ...and you were taught to lay 'irregular' tracks. Why? Many schools had not the space to lay 400M tracks.

You were taught to officiate and teach others how to officiate 'the jumps'. How to start. How to plan and conduct circuit training. How to plan training programs for various events - sprints, middle-distance, long distance and 'the jumps'. The throws were an after thought. Little time was spent on the discus and the shot put.

The JAAA never 'took over'...it assisted. Well just as the JFF is providing training courses for the football coaches without making any attempt to 'take over'...so should the JAAA provide the experts to teach various disciplines or impart knowledge on various technical skills to the PE teachers in the colleges and without and the school coaches. Assist in raising the level of coaching/teaching of the sports the kids receive.

Tek ova?
                              God forbid!
                              Last edited by Karl; October 7, 2009, 10:05 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X