• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jamaicans born to run fast? Oh-oh this one opens

the can of worms again.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------

Genetic research provides answer to Jamaicans' speed

Jamaicans are born to run fast. It's in our blood.

At least, so say preliminary findings of research being conducted by the University of Glasgow and the University of the West Indies (UWI) that has been going on for more than two years now.

Over that time, more than 200 Jamaican athletes were tested and found to possess the Actinen component in their fast-twitch muscle fibres - the rapidly contracting muscle fibres that enable sprinters to run really fast.

Early data

"Jamaica (and) Scotland, through the University of Glasgow, have been studying athletes from around the world, those of West African origin, east Africa and elsewhere. The early data is that for the fast-twitch fibres in the muscles, there is a special component called the Actinen A, of which the gene was identified in the fast-twitch fibres has been found in 70 per cent of the athletes from Jamaica," reveals an excited Professor Errol Morrison, president of the University of Technology (UTech).

More to come

"This compared to only 30 per cent in an Australian group that is being tested. What it says to us is what is happening is not a flash in the pan, but there will be many potential Asafa Powells, Sherone Simpsons and Sherikas (Williams), because the genetic predisposition is there."

Professor Morrison was understandably excited when he released the information to The Gleaner recently, because he was partially responsible for initiating the research that unearthed these findings.

He explained that the Univer-sity of Glasgow and a few Japanese universities had for some time been conducting research on athletes in Kenya, apparently trying to unlock the secrets to their prowess at long-distance running. Then, just over two years ago, while he wasemployed by the Department of Biochemistry at the University of the West Indies (UWI), Professor Morrison wrote an article that caught the researchers' eyes.

"I had published an article about what seemed to be the underlying principles behind the high performance in sprint among Jamaican athletes," he said. "And when they saw that article, they contacted me and said they would like to set up a link to look at athletes of a West African origin because that is where Caribbean athletes come from."

The University of Technology became involved when Professor Morrison assumed duties as president and eventually tests were conducted on the athletes there, including those from the MVP track club that has as its members some of the world's best sprinters.

Tests were not only conducted on UTech and MVP athletes, but on some of Jamaica's greats like the late Herb McKenley and Olympic 200 metre silver medallist Grace Jackson, who now runs the sports programme at the UWI, Mona Campus.

Blessed sprinters

The early results, according to Professor Morrison, are not only exciting, but it gives cause to create the environment to nurture this genetic predisposition with which Jamaica's sprinters have been blessed.

"It is quite clear that there are a lot of people with this potential to be good performers who, by nurturing the environment for them, the nutrition, training, focusing the whole psychological competitiveness, we can remain at the forefront for many years to come," Professor Morrison said.

Definitive answer

The results could go a long way in providing a definitive answer as to why Jamaicans continue to compete with the best sprinters in the world and in recent times, take the lead.

"The question is always there. What is it, nature or nurture that makes us so good?" Professor Morrison said in concluding. "The answer seems to be coming that there seems to be a strong underlying genetic or nature predisposition as to why we are able to perform like this."
    "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

OK Assasin mek we hear bout the 4 foot Eskimo who can clear the high jump bar at 7 feet and the 7 foot tall Kenyan who win nuff race as a jockey. LOL!!
    "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

not nice!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Maybe one day Sas will understand that the key words in the statement below are "potential" and "predisposition", and it doesn't mean me and you have the ability to run faster than every European and Arab.

'there will be many potential Asafa Powells, Sherone Simpsons and Sherikas (Williams), because the genetic predisposition is there.'

Comment

The only Gene I am interested in them finding is the one that produces a Michael Manley, PJ Patterson, Portia Simpson.

Dem also need to run some tests on the Civil Service.

Dem seh a country gets the leadership it deserves doh suh dem is just a sample.

If Jamaica had 2.7 Million of any odda life form on the planet it would be a paradise round about now.. Singapore woulda look stupid in comparison.

UCC and whoever else need to work on finding dat Gene and quick..

Comment

Ahh bwoy...

Maudib, why you haffe hijack the post with that totally unrelated rant? Cho man, start a new post if you want to do your daily (or hourly) PNP-bashing!

Comment

How yuh mean ?

Dis Gene ting is interesting...it could explain a LOT of things !!

An Anancy Gene perhaps ?

Comment

LOL, ok you might be onto something there.

You might get Mosiah vex pon that one though, him never sound pleased when PR say him frad fe go back a JA because him don't have a degree in samfie or something like dat.

Comment

Lol !!

Comment

it was inevitable....but still a fallacy i think.

just like blacks in american ghetto are born to play basketball? is a MEANS to an end. in jamaica right now that is probably the SUREST way to get a scholarship and then there is the grand prix circuit.

put the same mind towards samfie and VOILA....

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Still not pleased. Is what him mean by dat?

I would have him know that I received my samfie degree from a well-respected Silicon Valley institution! Indeed, I am sometimes referred to as a Silicon Valley samfie artist!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

White man could suffer till him blue inna Yard.. him NOT RUNNING a 9.72 100 meters.. them coulda put di track inna miggle of a Wind Farm...

Comment

Suh what yuh tink Innovation mean ??

Comment

Hahaha! Yuh mean like where they held the recent USA T&F trials?

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

As I said it is more about Geographic than it is about genetics.

How comes the ghanian them can't run fast? Are we from the same bloodline?
                              • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Working...
                              X