Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dear Forumites

Dear Forumites:
    Due to Mr. Simoes’ sacking which have caused you all to running around like headless chickens seeking answers, I am forced to step out of the shadows of being mainly a reader and occasional poster to lead you and guide you into the light.

OK enough of the joking now, let’s get serious.

Here are my suggestions for the ways forward. These are just some follow ups to my last letter which was written prior to me knowing of Simoes’ sacking.
    The most immediate problem that the JFF and Mr. Burrell has to deal with right now is identifying a coach to take us through our last three games.

Firstly , it should be determined if this coach will be here for the long term or short term. Since we are still in with a mathematical chance of qualifying for the Hex, I think that any coach coming in now should be for the short term.

Let’s follow logics here now. It would make no sense to bring in a foreign coach who does not know and understand our players and conditions right now. That would be foolhardy. Therefore that leaves us to fall back on our local coaches.

I have identified three such coaches for the job. They are Theodore Whitmore, Carl Brown and Wendell Downswell.

My pick would be for Carl Brown because he is the most accomplished local coach. Upon completion of those three games, Burrell can reassess our position based on if we go through. Of course if we go through, we keep whoever took us there, if not, we immediately change our focus to the Gold Cup qualifiers.

As the leader of the JFF and the man entrusted to move our football forward, I think that Mr. Burrell needs to announce to the public a feasible plan that will achieve those goals.

This constant pursuit of WCQ without the proper infrastructure in place must stop.

It is his obligation to be truthful to us fans about our chances of qualifications. We as fans cannot be taken for a ride every time a WCQ comes around and be fed with false hope. Mr. Burrell needs to dismiss his fears of lack of public support if we refocus our ambitions and go about building a solid foundation.

This is what I think he should do.
    He was paying Mr. Simoes and his crew a salary of US$600k per year. That means that money was available because there was not a peep from Mr. Simoes or his crew about not being paid. He should separate the Technical Director’s job from the Head Coach of the senior team.

The job of the TD is to oversee the overall development of our national program. The salary for that job should be between US$150k to US$200k.

The salary of the HC of the senior team should be between US$80k to US$120k; the U21 between US$60 to US$75k and so on.

Their assistants which includes trainers, physiotherapists, masseuses etc. should range from US$35k to US$50k. This is what the jobs pay and should be advertised as such.

Forget about trying to snag a “big-named” international coach and work with what we have. We need to get over our fantasy and obsession of having an internationally recognized coach. Our current football structure doesn’t allow for us to be paying one person US$1m per year. That is just plain ridiculous.

There are many other out-of-work coaches who have the necessary qualifications and who are willing to improve their resumes by taking Jamaica to a World Cup.

We are a resourceful set of people and it has been shown that if given the chance and the right environment we can rise to the level where we can compete at the international level. All we have got to do is to look at our track and field for inspiration.

These are salaries that any of those professionals would earn, based upon their experience and qualifications, if they worked in the USA. I am sure there are many such individuals who has his or her degrees in those fields living in Jamaica. It is time we make use of them, and if they are being paid in US dollars, they would gladly accept the challenge.

I personally think that the job of Technical Director should be offered to Mr. Simoes. In my opinion, he carries a lot of influence when it comes on to our corporate sponsors. He also has the Brazilian connections to get us camps and games in Brazil. Another reason why I think he is the right man for the job is that he understands the psyche of Jamaica and her people. He should however, not be allowed to select any of the national teams nor be allowed on the sidelines of any games.

I hereby wish to retract my earlier wish to have him hiring and firing national coaches as I now think that that would be a bad idea. My vision is to have him working with our national coaches as a group to formulate and implement a style of play that draws on our natural abilities. I see him using his international influence along with Burrell to bring acclaimed coaches and administrators to our shores to help train our own. We would also send our people overseas for training.

I see Burrell and Simoes traversing the island at dinners and charity events drumming up support for the program.

During the 98 campaign, our Boyz were seen in the media at many charity events, Children’s Homes, Schools etc. That is what Burrell and his marketing team need to do to garner public and corporate support. These things do not cost much money. They already have a traveling press officer in Nodley Wright.

We are not maximizing the brand ReggaeBoyz. Where can someone (Jamaican or other nationalities) living overseas get an authentic ReggaeBoyz team jersey to buy? What about the ReggaeBoyz memorabilia? Are they sold at home matches? Where can a fan get a Road to France DVD to buy? If we fail to qualify for the Hex, I think the public would be interested to see matches against Honduras, Panama, Trinidad, Cuba, El Salvador, Costa Rica and Mexico. Can the JFF work with a promoter here in the Tristate to bring a game to Giant Stadium? I am sure a Mexico vs. Jamaica or USA vs. Jamaica game will fill the stadium.

Build the Academy already! Do we have a talent scout living in the UK or the USA where most of our players play? All is not lost and Mr. Burrell needs to stop casting blame and finding excuses for our constant failures and get on with the job of rebuilding our program.

Jangle
    Last edited by Karl; October 16, 2013, 02:27 PM.
    Hey .. look at the bright side .... at least you're not a Liverpool fan! - Lazie 2/24/10 Paul Marin -19 is one thing, 20 is a whole other matter. It gets even worse if they win the UCL. *groan*. 05/18/2011.MU fans naah cough, but all a unuh a vomit?-Lazie 1/11/2015

PS:

How difficult is it to get two high-schoolers to come in after school to update the JFF website? That website should be chokfull of information about everything Jamaica football.
    Hey .. look at the bright side .... at least you're not a Liverpool fan! - Lazie 2/24/10 Paul Marin -19 is one thing, 20 is a whole other matter. It gets even worse if they win the UCL. *groan*. 05/18/2011.MU fans naah cough, but all a unuh a vomit?-Lazie 1/11/2015

Comment

ok...whatever bout di website...CARL BROWN?!!!

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

so things change....so they remain the same. Every few years I have to refresh these posts.

Comment

ok...whatever bout di website...CARL BROWN?!!!

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

deja vu

Comment

Working...
            X