• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Simoes to scout extensively ahead of Qualifiers

Simoes to scout extensively ahead of Qualifiers
    Howard Walker
    Thursday, April 03, 2008

Chihuahua, Mexico - Technical director Rene Simoes will be embarking on a scouting mission to look at Jamaican players plying their trade overseas.

With approximately two months before Jamaica bow into 2010 World Cup qualifying action, Simoes - who took over the football programme on January 5 - has limited time to familiarise himself with all the players available.

"We have two to three overseas trips to look at the players because there are some names I don't know... I have to know them to see if they fit in my system, so we have to go and watch them," Simoes told the Observer yesterday.

In August 2004, Simoes' compatriot Sebastiao Lazaroni led Jamaica into their semi-final round game against the USA and were leading 1-0, courtesy of an Ian Goodison 49th-minute goal before substitute Brian Ching equalised in the 88th minute.

After the game Lazaroni admitted not knowing the Jamaican players and which player to take off the bench to shut the game down and secure what would have been a famous win in Kingston.

The rest is history as Jamaica narrowly missed out against Panama and failed to advance with the USA to the final stage. The US topped the group with 12 points, Panama eight and Jamaica seven.

Simoes, 56, who led Jamaica to their historic 1998 World Cup qualification, is not taking any chances and will be discussing the matter with Jamaica Football Federation (JFF) boss, Captain Horace Burrell.

The Brazilian also made it clear every active Jamaican player will be under the microscope, regardless of where he plays professionally.

When quizzed about Liverpool's 25-year-old winger, Jermaine Pennant who as a 15-year-old was signed by Arsenal for £2 million - a record fee for a trainee at the time - and later made his debut at age 16 against Middlesbrough, Simoes said: "No, I don't know him; we have to check. I will look at him. What position does he play? There are other players whose names were given to me and I will look at them," he said.

Even retired midfielder Andy Williams, 30, who said he is willing to come out of retirement for Jamaica's World Cup campaign, will be given a chance, said Simoes.

"There are no players out of my plan; he is in the plan. Andy, Jermaine Johnson. I discuss with Ricardo Fuller, so I have the team in my mind, so we have to give chance to players.
    "We cannot fix 11 players because World Cup qualifiers are two years. We need a big group of players all committed and know that they are playing for Jamaica. If they decide about that they have a chance," Simoes noted.

The TD was disappointed with the criticism of the number of Portmore United players in the team for the recent friendly against Trinidad & Tobago.

"The issue about the Portmore players, we should not think about that. In the '90s everybody was concerned about the western players because every player was from Seba, Violet Kickers and Wadadah.

"If I'm not wrong, it was 15 players from these three clubs, now it is 17 players from Portmore, Waterhouse and Harbour View, because these three clubs are the best ones right now".

According to Simoes, nobody manipulates his selection.
    "I have the co-ordinators and I approve or disapprove. We try to make a very good organisation right now," he stated.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

RBSC, you don't have tapes that you can give them. McIntosh should have sportsmax tapes available from his little brother.

Pennant still eligible for Jamaica?

Comment

Pennant want to play for Jamaica?
      Hey .. look at the bright side .... at least you're not a Liverpool fan! - Lazie 2/24/10 Paul Marin -19 is one thing, 20 is a whole other matter. It gets even worse if they win the UCL. *groan*. 05/18/2011.MU fans naah cough, but all a unuh a vomit?-Lazie 1/11/2015

Comment

Robbie earle/Marcus Gayle all over again.

These people are willing fi call all the premier league players but are unwilling to give the local players 45 minutes on the pitch against Trinidad.

When them done them say a we live a foriegn that have foriegn mind.
        • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Can't believe England has 4 teams in the CL and Simoes does not know who Pennant is.

Blessed

Comment

Originally posted by Assasin View Post
            Robbie earle/Marcus Gayle all over again.

These people are willing fi call all the premier league players but are unwilling to give the local players 45 minutes on the pitch against Trinidad.

When them done them say a we live a foriegn that have foriegn mind.
            I'll say it again - The clubs and the JFF must give the locals the opportunities at the lower levels...so that they can progress in a system that is rational.

Sass:
            What you would like to do is take the 2nd formers move them to 6th form...and then expect them to perform on the same level with 6th formers who moved through the various learning stages...acquired the experiences and had the exposure 2nd through 5th form in other parts of the world! ...certainly at the TOP OF THE WORLD football nations!

NONSENSE METHOD! ..and if that is your policy, NONSENSE POLICY!

You could not expect to reap from such a system - 'students' that could 'stay' with the rest of the world through which 'the students' had orderly well thought out progression!

If we had 'star students' come out of your system they would get to 'star status' overcoming the obstacles inherent in your system...i.e. a 'buk up' here and there! ...and guess what such a system makes it hardly likely you would have 30 'buk ups' at the same time.

Remember we are talking TEAM game here?
            "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

People, people unuh haffi decide unuh mind. Weh unuh want, fe qualify fe de next WC or unuh waan fe build a program beyond 2010?
              Hey .. look at the bright side .... at least you're not a Liverpool fan! - Lazie 2/24/10 Paul Marin -19 is one thing, 20 is a whole other matter. It gets even worse if they win the UCL. *groan*. 05/18/2011.MU fans naah cough, but all a unuh a vomit?-Lazie 1/11/2015

Comment

What I am doing is let Simoes do his work and judge him when qualifiers come. The man say there is talent in Ja that can be developed and a nuh him alone. You a tell me them Brazillian managers who a look pon NPL players a idiot?

Simoes want to look at everybody. You never see a second former make a dcup side yet?
                • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Originally posted by Jangle View Post
                  People, people unuh haffi decide unuh mind. Weh unuh want, fe qualify fe de next WC or unuh waan fe build a program beyond 2010?
                  Both!
                  "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

you remember how them cuss Simoes when him carry Marcus Gayle go a Gold cup and him miss a easy header and Sinclair walk the man inna the goal?

Them say a pure foriegner him and Burrell a carry in at the expense of wi world class players.

It is a no win situation. If him carry in the foriegners and we still win you a go hear him a fight out local youths.

Comment

Originally posted by Assasin View Post
                      What I am doing is let Simoes do his work and judge him when qualifiers come. The man say there is talent in Ja that can be developed and a nuh him alone. You a tell me them Brazillian managers who a look pon NPL players a idiot?

Simoes want to look at everybody. You never see a second former make a dcup side yet?
                      Sass: Sometimes it seems yuh tek leave a yuh senses?

At the very least if you are responding to me you should remember (the on-going warfare I have with Lazie on - 'In Jamaica talent abounds!'

If I have come to that conclusion over these last 'too many years' ...and have consistently defended or at least asked us to 'step back' and take a second look when the criticisms of Simoes and other coaches (Laza, Downswell, CB, George Thompson and others) 'swell'...

...and throw in the mix that I am an advocate of 'performance causes DEMAND or NO for places in a TEAM'...how could you say what you said, aimed at me?
                      Hit nuh mek sense!
                      Sometimes yuh disappoint mi

I wonder if you will take a second look at what I have been consistently saying over these 'RBSC years'? Duh tek a luk?

Comment

I dont understand why if this is mutually exclusive. He can scout players and look at local players. He just spent 3 weeks with the local players now its time to look at Noseworthy, talk to pennant, Damion Francis. It was the same foolish argument why Youg ended up playing for England.!

Comment

My position is very clear and has not wavered. Left up to me, Carl Brown would still be the TD and people like Marcus Gayle would never have suited up for Jamaica, much less to wear the captain's armband.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Originally posted by Mosiah View Post
                            My position is very clear and has not wavered. Left up to me, Carl Brown would still be the TD and people like Marcus Gayle would never have suited up for Jamaica, much less to wear the captain's armband.
                            ..with you on CB!
                            ...and I wondered myself and am still wondering on Marcus Gayle?
                            Did we really need him?

Comment

Originally posted by OJ View Post
                              I dont understand why if this is mutually exclusive. He can scout players and look at local players. He just spent 3 weeks with the local players now its time to look at Noseworthy, talk to pennant, Damion Francis. It was the same foolish argument why Youg ended up playing for England.!
                              If young wanted to play for ja he would not have accepted the england under 21 call up ...... Pennat is not eligible ... so he francis ,lisbe ,trevor benjamin and micah hyde(the real big man)

Comment

Working...
                              X