X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sir Alex Ferguson's mighty Man Utd midfield

By Stewart Robson
    Last Updated: 2:16am GMT 27/01/2008

I think everybody would agree, including Sir Alex Ferguson, that when all the players in his squad are available, there are seven names which he would immediately pen on to the team sheet. Edwin van der Sar, Rio Ferdinand, Nemanja Vidic and Patrice Evra have all performed brilliantly, while up front Wayne Rooney, Cristiano Ronaldo and Carlos Tevez are the most exciting combination of attackers in the Premier League.

Yet it is in midfield, where Sir Alex has four players who offer different attributes, that he will not be so certain of his best partnership.

Of the four, Paul Scholes, who looks set to be passed fit this weekend after three months out with a knee injury, is the most effective and talented player. His superb technique and excellent timing of runs enables him to score goals, while he possesses wonderful vision to create opportunities for others with his passing. Although not the best tackler, he does have the energy to recover into defensive positions quickly. Owen Hargreaves has the athleticism to cover ground quickly, which denies the opposition space to counter attack.

Although technically competent, he doesn't possess the same attacking threat as Scholes and therefore his destructive influence is greater than his creativity. By his own admission he has struggled to cope with the greater intensity of the Premier League compared to the Bundesliga in Germany, but he is now fully fit and keen to prove Sir Alex was right to buy him.

Anderson, although initially bought as a striker, has played a lot of games in central midfield this year. He has trickery on the ball, a good passing range and showed in his battle with Arsenal's Cesc Fabregas earlier in the season that he has the appetite for a fight should situations dictate. However, he still lacks the consistency and game understanding to make him a permanent fixture in the team.

Michael Carrick is the player who divides opinion on his capabilities and effectiveness to United, despite him having a superb passing range with both feet. He hits defence-splitting passes, switches the point of attacks and brings continuity to United's passing movements. However, to take himself to the next level, he needs to put himself under greater pressure by receiving the ball in tighter situations. Too often he drops into the back four, which, although giving him time on the ball, doesn't allow him to hurt the opposition. To become a great player he needs to influence games in more attacking areas, as he did when getting on the end of a couple of crosses against Reading last week. He must also score more goals and improve his ability to shield the ball when placed under fierce pressure.

But whenever his game is analysed, two questions keep resurfacing. Does he possess enough mobility to defend well when playing in the holding midfield role? Is he dynamic enough to influence the attacking capabilities of the team and score goals at the same rate as Scholes? My answer to both those questions is no, so what role should he have in the team?

The role that suits him most is in a three-man central midfield where he has two players with more forward drive playing either side of him. He then acts as the 'quarterback' who dictates the game with his passing, both long and short, without dropping right into the back four.

Unfortunately for him, United rarely play that formation and when he was given that role for England against Paraguay at the World Cup, he failed to make an impact, which ultimately resulted in Hargreaves replacing him. For Carrick to catch the eye of Fabio Capello and ensure Ferguson keeps faith with him he will need to emulate the effectiveness of one of two great players.

He must either score and create goals like Glenn Hoddle used to, or dictate midfield proceedings with his link-up play in much the same way that Andrea Pirlo does for AC Milan and Italy. Unless he can do that, he may never fully reach the levels his technical skills deserve.

His first thoughts today, though, will be to outplay the rediscovered potential of Jermaine Jenas, whose athleticism has propelled him from average player to excellent one over the last few weeks.
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

What I don't like is when Fergie starts Carrick and Hargreves, use one with either Scholes or Anderson.
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

Lazie, you have not a ting a bother u, nuh chue

Is like you wondering whether you should have iodized salt or not.

I notice that BoyU plays 2 DM's against Big SidEEE!!! in Hargreaves and Anderson but against others only 1, so it is tactics and your two coaches beliefs in hurting the opposition.

Against any other team besides Arsenal, it nuh matter which midFEELer ounu put out, the quality is there. Amongst the "big FOUR", the 2 teams of Chelsea and Liverpool plays counter attacking, ANTI-football so BoyU playing 2 DM's would be silly especially since the basic instinct of BoyU is to attaack, the only other team that plays FLAIR attacking football of the 4 is Arsenal.

Now for the ever chasing pack, Everton (metamorphis) and Aston Villa also now play attacking team football, while Blackburn plays like Chelsea and Man City plays like an Italian team, slow patient build up interspersed with long balls to the flanks (ala Juventus).

Not a ting a bother u Lazie .... I expect to see Westman the sniper respond also. Take a look at the last 6 EPL games of the top 6 teams, very very competitive, swings and counter swings will happen I suppose
      Ignore spelling and grammar
      http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...w-kit-0708.gif the wisdom and courage of my mind and the strength and vigour of my body", to enable them to enjoy a better life. I ask God's blessings on our nation. I ask for His guidance on the government that I will lead as we face the challenges of the future. I know that we can't even walk without Him holding our hands. http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...aa20b58a33.gif

Comment

Why is it people refer to Anderson as a defensive mid? The boy has proven that along with his attacking play he can win the ball in the middle of the park. Does that make him a defensive mid?

Don't try to make things seem the way they aren't ... Hargreves and Anderson has played in the middle in other games, not just the Arsenal game and you forget ... Hargreves was injuried?

"especially since the basic instinct of BoyU is to attaack, the only other team that plays FLAIR attacking football of the 4 is Arsenal"

One a these days tell that to the likes of OJ and Karl.

Comment

Lazie Patrick Viera is also called a defensive. It only mean that they are very good at defense in the midfield it don't mean they don't attack.
          • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Originally posted by Assasin View Post
            Lazie Patrick Viera is also called a defensive. It only mean that they are very good at defense in the midfield it don't mean they don't attack.
            I'm very well aware of that Sass .. When Giggs play in the middle of the park instead of on either wing is he a defensive mid?

Comment

hehe, man, yo bad pan di rhetorics
              Karl commenting on Maschaeroni's sending off, "Getting sent off like that is anti-TEAM!
              Terrible decision by the player!":busshead::Laugh&roll::Laugh&roll::eek::La ugh&roll:

Comment

Lazie, since you playing foolish, lets first then define

Originally posted by Lazie View Post
                Why is it people refer to Anderson as a defensive mid? The boy has proven that along with his attacking play he can win the ball in the middle of the park. Does that make him a defensive mid?
                Defensive midFEEL or if you prefer Front Sweeper as it was once known.
                This should be good, hopefully you were "playing" foolish.
                The Portugese BoyU number 2, after the game stated the strategy was to play 2 strong tackling DM's against Big SidEEE!!! and claimed it worked to nullify Arsenal's strengths, those TWO DM's were Anderson and Hargreves.

Just becase Anderson has played forward in his life doesnt mean he cant play the DM role. Just ask the Big loanee Baptista that Arsenal had from Real Madrid. He was frst a DM in Brasil, then a forward for Sevilla then all over the place for Arsenal and now back as a midFEELer for Real Madrid especially DM since Diarra is playing CAF.
                So define/describe what a Front Sweeper is please?
                http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...w-kit-0708.gif the wisdom and courage of my mind and the strength and vigour of my body", to enable them to enjoy a better life. I ask God's blessings on our nation. I ask for His guidance on the government that I will lead as we face the challenges of the future. I know that we can't even walk without Him holding our hands. http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...aa20b58a33.gif

Comment

Yuttie, de I maturing correct? that forward u raving about

heading to Middlesborough??? or is someone else? ohh and read this

Originally posted by Yuttie View Post
                  hehe, man, yo bad pan di rhetorics
                  Anderson has been a revelation for Manchester United since joining from FC Porto for a reported £17million in the summer. It only took the young Brazilian a month or so to tune into the pace of the Premiership and since then he has performed impressively in almost every game he has played. Not only is he keeping a full England international in Michael Carrick out of the side, but in two of United’s biggest games of the season he has been able to keep Cesc Fabregas and Steven Gerrard quiet for nearly the entire ninety minutes.
                  The biggest surprise with Anderson’s form, especially for those in Brazil, is that he has been playing in a flat, almost defensive midfield position that he has never previously occupied. Whilst coming up through the ranks at Grêmio he was always used as a support striker or in an attacking midfield role and this continued through his time at FC Porto. The fact that he has not only slotted into a new footballing culture, but has learnt a new position at the same time, makes his current form even more outstanding than it may at first seem.
                  Both players possess strength in the tackle and finesse with the ball at their feet, and it would therefore seem certain that Anderson and Lucas Leiva represent the future of Brazil’s defensive midfield. With one left footed and one right footed player, they would provide an ideal balance in that area of the field and would give the team much more fluidity than the current incumbents of the positions.
                  Denilson of Arsenal should also not be discounted, as despite stalling slightly with his development this season, the former São Paulo player still looks to have all the tools necessary to be a competent defensive midfielder. Whether or not he is able to reach his potential, considering the multitude of players ahead of him in the Arsenal pecking order, is another matter.
                  The South American qualifying group does not reconvene until June 2008, so Dunga has plenty of time to experiment with his line-up in friendly matches in order to find a way forward that is satisfactory to both him and the Brazilian supporters. Whether or not he will decide to blood both Anderson and Lucas Leiva together is unknown, but if they can both hold down regular starting spots with their respective clubs, there is no reason why both of them should not be in consideration for a place in the starting eleven against Paraguay in June.

Liverpool a stall Lucas Levia by the way, him need to come to Big SidEEE!!!

Whilst at Grêmio, Lucas became the youngest player ever to win Placar Magazine’s Golden Ball award for the best player in the Brazilian Championship, as his side finished third in their return season in the top flight. He was also an instrumental part of the side that made it to the Copa Libertadores (South American Champions League) final this year. He is clearly a born winner as well as an excellent footballer.

Comment

Originally posted by Mexxx View Post
                    Defensive midFEEL or if you prefer Front Sweeper as it was once known.
                    This should be good, hopefully you were "playing" foolish.
                    The Portugese BoyU number 2, after the game stated the strategy was to play 2 strong tackling DM's against Big SidEEE!!! and claimed it worked to nullify Arsenal's strengths, those TWO DM's were Anderson and Hargreves.

Just becase Anderson has played forward in his life doesnt mean he cant play the DM role. Just ask the Big loanee Baptista that Arsenal had from Real Madrid. He was frst a DM in Brasil, then a forward for Sevilla then all over the place for Arsenal and now back as a midFEELer for Real Madrid especially DM since Diarra is playing CAF.
                    So define/describe what a Front Sweeper is please?
                    Last I checked, Gary Neville wear #2 fi the Empire? What liquor yuh drinking Mexx? The philosophy that Fergie use is that everybody must tackle. Ronaldo goes back to tackle, Tevez, Rooney .. they all go back and tackle. Again, let me ask you the question I'd placed to Sass, when Giggs play in the middle, is he a defensive mid? Is Scholes a DM? Carrick and Hargreves are the DMs in the side ...

Comment

Running really hard from the DM definition I see

Originally posted by Lazie View Post
                      Last I checked, Gary Neville wear #2 fi the Empire? What liquor yuh drinking Mexx? The philosophy that Fergie use is that everybody must tackle. Ronaldo goes back to tackle, Tevez, Rooney .. they all go back and tackle. Again, let me ask you the question I'd placed to Sass, when Giggs play in the middle, is he a defensive mid? Is Scholes a DM? Carrick and Hargreves are the DMs in the side ...
                      gwaan duck and hide, even your coaches say Anderson played the DM role well so nice try with your bait and switch by trying to blur the issue by bringing in silly issues and meaningles shenanigans regarding forwards and tackling. Again I ask, what is the role and definition of a Front sweeper (DM)?

I shall repeat the question, afterall you have the internet and search engines to guide you, so use them if you are lost you will still look smart

Comment

so him nuh defend when him deh wide?

Gigs u a term as defensive mid? ah well Rio a mussi forward when him pass the halfline
                        • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

LOL dat is funny and seems true judging the logic that is

Originally posted by Assasin View Post
                          so him nuh defend when him deh wide?

Gigs u a term as defensive mid? ah well Rio a mussi forward when him pass the halfline
                          a Lazy brain

Comment

manuocha? if so, well sorta kinda. He doesn't have sufficent caps plus Angola is ranked 72, But if di man dem couldan find a European cousin fi Tim Howard, mi sure se......, mek mi stop

I'm sure you've noticed that within 1 year ManU currently possess one of Europe's most elite midfield. Only if saha could stay fit, aww boy, Manuocho and Welbeck de pan di rise.........

http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...snum=0&spell=1
                            Karl commenting on Maschaeroni's sending off, "Getting sent off like that is anti-TEAM!
                            Terrible decision by the player!":busshead::Laugh&roll::Laugh&roll::eek::La ugh&roll:

Comment

cot damnit Lazie, di man talk Querioz(the man responsible for ManU transformation), LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!

i si yo miss di days of Luke Chadwick, Lee Roach, Keiron Richardon, and Liam Milner

Comment

Working...
                              X