Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• “ He measures near 5ft 3 ins high.” ...The little short man

The Master of the slave master

“If this be living I’d rather be dead”: enslaved youth, agency and resistance on
    an eighteenth century Jamaican estate.
    On the evening of 1st November 1771, Thomas Thistlewood Esq, proprietor of
    Breadnut Island Pen, situated in the Westmoreland town of Savanna-la-Mar,
    exasperatedly chronicled in his journal his increasingly tense relationship with Jimmy,

http://wrap.warwick.ac.uk/596/1/WRAP..._be_living.pdf

I see alot of Jimmy in Jamaican culture.A little about Thistle

https://www.h-net.org/reviews/showrev.php?id=13425

Derby Dose - capitalism..lol

Sarah Palin comments and resignation from MSNBC
    On November 15, 2013, Bashir criticized Sarah Palin for comments that she made comparing the Federal debt to slavery.[13] Bashir attempted to counter Palin's comparison by referencing the cruel and barbaric punishment of slaves described by slave overseer Thomas Thistlewood, specifically a punishment called "Derby's dose" which involved forcing slaves to defecate or urinate into the mouth of another slave as punishment. Bashir then concluded by saying "When Mrs. Palin invokes slavery, she doesn’t just prove her rank ignorance. She confirms if anyone truly qualified for a dose of discipline from Thomas Thistlewood, she would be the outstanding candidate."

It is said Thistle invented this form of punishment...sick.
    THERE IS ONLY ONE ONANDI LOWE!

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.

What is this post about?!?

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Alot

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.

Comment

The diaries of Thomas Thistlewood, Jamaican slave plantation overseer circa 1770
        "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

Wasnt that obvious

Comment

Thanks

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Interesting post, X.

I have been reading so many books likes this since 12 Years that I am clean out of anger and homicidal tendencies. Well...I may have a stash or two left in me. I see myself as an angry person right now and it may have started to adversely affect my health. And my tennis game!

Where is that fcuking chamomile?

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Careful you go Colin Ferguson.
                • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

I thought so , i never read anything like this about slavery in Jamaica in all my years, points to be made are , slavery has many stories to tell not just from a north american experience but carribbean, central and south american experience.

The stories i would like told are his mistress, who was a slave , the savagery and rape of girls- from 9.yo upwards,it seems to say slavery was designed to procure young africans , the younger the better, the rebellion and of course the ingenuity to come out mentally sane from this experience , last but not least the psychological trauma that is with us today, i saw alot of Thistles thinking about work and laziness and the required punishment growing up , i i wondered where this harshness and in some cases unforgiven twisted logic of caring/love came from.

Comment

Capitalism's collateral damage? I think not. The depravity of those who inherited Jamaica has never been told. Mek sure unuh stand and salute Out of many......

Comment

Rudi, don't get me started. Please, mi a beg yuh!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

paternalistic ...... they always know what is best for the slave even when the slave himself does not or cannot know.

funny that we were considered less than human and thus be beasts of burden but yet they never had the kind of intimate relationships with their horses or donkeys or dogs or cattle the way they sought out our women and intentionally fathered children.

this brings to mind by signature .....

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Or is it how they sought our female children and fathered their children ? I wonder about the dog analogy, it seems they treat the dogs better than they do us.

Comment

In other words gamma, slavery legalised peodophillia,girls as young as 9 were raped by the slave master.This is some sick shhhhhtttt

Comment

What a story Jimmy could tell 5 ft 3 a run cocksman race wid im master ? Free to leave but always coming back to serve was it the master or the master house ?

Jimmy a mi hero.He paid with his sanity ,it moved him to drink to compensate.

Comment

Working...
                              X