X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Giving South East St Ann a democratic dictatorship

Mark Wignall
    Thursday, June 07, 2007

In an effort to up the ante on the dangerous games being played in the name of gender politics, we saw recently where the least among those occupying an area once considered sacrosanct was made holiest among the holy. Then, the joke was on us, the spineless ones.

Mark Wignall
    Now, Lisa Hanna, former Miss World, an intelligent and articulate young woman who ought to know better, is allowing herself to be caught up in what certainly will be a firestorm of protest in furtherance of PNP president Portia Simpson Miller holding true to the new rules in the gender game.

She is to be foisted on the PNP supporters of South East St Ann because, by implication, four of them who have made themselves available for the one candidate spot - Lenworth Fulton, Bevon Morrison, Sheree Brown-McDonald and Don McDowell - are not seen to have the worth of one Lisa Hanna, stranger to the constituency.

Operating from a fractured base in the leadership of the PNP, the party president had basically two options in solving the problems of filling the candidacy spot for South East St Ann. One, she could have approached it with strength, that is, an exercise of constructive guile where she lures those opposing her into her position and in the end make them feel that they were part of the "decision-making process".

Second, if she chose to yield to the advice of the failed politics of the past, where "my way or the highway" is still floating in the heads of those whom the people have soundly rejected, she would have to bully others into accepting her position. In the end, the latter course was adopted and the party will be the worse off for that exercise of weakness.

Elder statesman in the constituency, Seymour Mullings, has been given no respect in this matter. The people of South East St Ann have been totally sidestepped by the PNP president. By implication, they too are not all that important, except once every five years when the PNP has a certainty that if it places a pretty puss, an ugly dog or a Lisa Hanna, the PNP will always come out in front. To the new PNP leader, the PNP constituents of South East St Ann are wound-up toys, responding only to her turning of the little key.

This time around she could be in for the surprise of her life.
    Let us face one fact. Lisa Hanna seems to me to be a good and creditable Jamaican citizen who has a contribution to make, but in the present context one is not so sure if she knows which direction to drive to find South East St Ann.

And of course in all of this we tend to lose sight of the fact that the voters of the constituency who have been so faithful to the PNP over the entire life of the birth of modern politics in this country are seeing that very politics turn around and "diss" them by forcing a UFO into their constituency.

"I am sorry, I don't share your view of Lisa," said an anti-Portia PNP supporter. "She is political fluff pure and simple."
    "Certainly," I said, "she must bring something positive to the PNP, nationally and internationally."

"Can't agree with you. The leader is taking advice from a very 'fool-fool' source. If she really wanted to bring healing to our party, she would have insisted that the constituency executive get their act together and initiate the usual selection by constituency delegate vote. But she is so focused on elections, she can't see beyond that."

PNP voters in the constituency are hopping mad that Seymour Mullings has been treated so shabbily by the party leader. They have been brought up on representation, good and faithful representation. And they work only with whom they believe they have had a hand in selecting and electing.

Not only will Lisa be seen as an imported product to the constituency, but just five years ago she was an ardent supporter of the JLP. With that sort of political résumé, it would have been better if she was placed in some other constituency where the people are less judgemental. Add to that her last-minute entry or "foisting" on the PNP faithful in the constituency, and one will see that the PNP president has made one big mess for herself and the party in the wider domain at this crucial time.

I see similarities between this situation and Trafigura. One, sources tell me that senior people in the PNP were unaware of the intention to bring in Lisa Hanna. Soon, however, they will all say they knew and converge around a common story to protect the leader.

Among the four people in the constituency who made themselves available, my choice would have been Lenworth Fulton, who seems to have the most "rounded" qualifications of presence, reach and work in the constituency. Last week, however, Denzil 'Wizzy' McDonald told me that his wife Sheree has the most support of the four in the constituency. Surely, one of these two individuals could have been brought to the fore.

Lisa Hanna's own motives must be questioned. If as she says, she has always had an interest in representational politics, why this last-minute move and not a more measured entrance? Is she allowing herself to be dragged in because someone has convinced her that she can win in South East St Ann? Is she allowing herself to be hauled over the coals and destroyed politically now, just for the sake of political expediency, or is she trying once again to assist "Team Portia"?

Again, let me say that I believe she has a contribution to make to this country and it should be encouraged. Information I have tells me that her focus is on Early Childhood Education. Be that as it may, she ought to be told in no uncertain fashion that she cannot just step in to reap the benefits of the hard work of others in South East St Ann. After all of the efforts of the four contenders and the strident voices of the PNP supporters, all Lisa Hanna has now been mandated to do is drive down to South East St Ann to claim a prize awarded to her by a leader whose next move is anybody's guess.

In the interim, the word I have from the leadership on the ground and the constituents is that South East St Ann will not accept anyone, read, anyone pushed on them by anyone.

The militancy is new to the constituency, but there is a more sinister twist. Some fear that a hangover of a politics of the nasty past may be introduced in the very peaceful constituency in an effort to "pave the way" for the beauty queen. The Lisa Hanna that I know would not want to be associated with that.
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

PJ backs Lisa - Portia severely criticised by constituents

PJ backs Lisa - Portia severely criticised by constituents

The endorsement of Lisa Hanna by former Prime Minister P.J. Patterson as the People's National Party (PNP) candidate for South East St. Ann has not spared his successor, Portia Simpson Miller, from the harsh criticism being levelled against her by constituents.

In fact, Mrs. Simpson Miller's handling of the selection process to find a replacement for Aloun Assamba in the impending general election has been described as "inept at best", and has reportedly led to a breakdown of trust between the party hierarchy and "comrades on the ground", according to a senior member of the constituency executive.

A slap in the face

According to Courtney Wallace, chairman of the Moneague division and a member of the constituency executive in South East St. Ann, the Prime Minister's decision to simply endorse the candidacy of the former Miss World without consulting members of the constituency executive was a slap in the face of democracy.

"I told the Prime Minister in the meeting the other night that in the final analysis it is the people of South East St. Ann who will determine who the next Member of Parliament will be," Mr. Wallace told The Gleaner yesterday. "I told her that it is tragic that the party would go the route of imposing someone without any form of consultation with the people on the ground."

But Mr. Patterson is backing Ms. Hanna to take home the seat for the PNP.

Speaking with The Gleaner yesterday at the Special Constabulary Force Association's 23rd annual joint central conference at the Knutsford Court Hotel in New Kingston, Mr. Patterson said Ms. Hanna was a suitable candidate who can contribute to nation building.

"She happens to be a person with a profound sense of what is required in terms of national development for Jamaica at this time," he stressed.

"... (And we ought not) simply dismiss (her) because she happens also to be a beautiful person," he added.

At the same time, Mr. Patterson said he has not been approached to remedy the situation that now exists regarding Ms. Hanna's selection.

"That has been handled by the persons presently who occupy offices in the party," he said.

When contacted yesterday the former Miss World refused to elaborate on the issue.

"I am not in a position at this time to make a comment regarding politics," said Ms. Hanna.

Currently a public relations officer at the Hilton Kingston Hotel, Miss Hanna said that she was concentrating on arranging her workplace sponsored K.I.D.S charity event that takes place this weekend.

"Right now I am trying to construct three basic schools," she said.

The controversy surrounding her selection is not likely to go away soon as, when asked whether members of the constituency were briefed in advance that the party had arrived at a decision on a candidate, Mr. Wallace said: "We were hearing the decision at the meeting for the first time. Everyone, including Comrade Seymour Mullings, the longest serving MP in the history of the constituency - was hearing Lisa Hanna's name for the first time." Ambassador Mullings represented the constituency for 32 years.

Mrs. Simpson Miller told members of the South East St. Ann constituency at the party's Hope Road, St. Andrew headquarters on Monday that the party had decided on using Ms. Hanna as its candidate in the upcoming general elections.

What the Prime Minister was not banking on however was the kind of resistance to the announcement which forced her to lose her cool in the meeting. When one audience member dared to use the analogy that all it takes is for one match to start a big fire, Mrs. Simpson Miller had heard enough.

"Why do you think a person has to be born within a constituency in order to represent that constituency," she yelled while jumping to her feet. "I was not born in my constituency yet I have been the MP there for years. This is the People's National Party and nobody is going to hold it to ransom. You think we cannot win the election without winning South East St. Ann? I would rather you find a new leader than having anybody hijack the values of the People's National Party".

Mr. Wallace added that the party had better listen to the voices of the people before going forward with what he called "an ill-advised move".He said: "The people's candidate is Sheree Brown McDonald and the party should not try and ignore. It is not too late to reverse that Lisa Hanna decision. It is not too late to do the right thing".
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

I don't see what the fuss is all about! If the founder of the KKK should run in that constituency on the PNP ticket ... not even Jesus Christ can beat him. Dem ********s only a mek up noise ... the day election is announced dem change dem tune.

Comment

Originally posted by Lazie View Post
        I don't see what the fuss is all about! If the founder of the KKK should run in that constituency on the PNP ticket ... not even Jesus Christ can beat him. Dem ********s only a mek up noise ... the day election is announced dem change dem tune.
        That is a strange comment.

We do not know what is the true position in SE St Ann. The position the voters (PNP and JLP -all the voters) have taken is not known.

What we do know is some in the PNP leadership are against Lisa Hanna's selection as the candidate. We also know, based on the media reports, that in the leadership of the PNP in the constituency there is no consensus on who the representative should be. Four persons with backing from different sections of the consitituency's PNP leadership were in a fight to gain the right to represent the constituency....and, it appears, at this late stage, shorty before the announcement of an election date, not one sections of those in that constituency leadership was willing to give ground.

Lisa's task is straight-forward - Prove to/convince the voters (PNP & JLP...& No P) that she has the wherewithal to improve their lives...and, the lives of all persons in Jamaica. On her way towards doing just that she must meet with all members (PNP, JLP & No P) of her constituency. She must show she has full grasp of the local issues and national issues and present her approach to solutions. Included in her approach must be the ability to listen carefully to the constitients...and, even when they put forward ideas she already have, give full props to the person and or persons who aired the same thing.

Lisa must, as Hillary Clinton did in New York, visit every nook and cranny of the constituency...visit areas no representative has ever visited...and, talk along Sistah P, Foggy Mullings and the warring factions within the constituency with her. Yes, she must explaining to those warring factions that she will work with them...she shall work with all the people.

She must make her already sunny personality shine through - she is 'people-friendly' and has a good disposition that must shine through...be herself. Hey the voters, whatever their current reservations know Lisa bleeds just as they do. She is one of us/ one of the connecting - them. Jamaican to the core!

Lazie: mi fren hit luk seh yuh his a divise(devisive) bredda at present???

wid haul yuh talk bout Jamaica hit ha-ppear yuh a tink bout a Jamaica wid 'wi an dem'??? Wi nuh waant dat!

'bout KKK cudda represent? Nuh badda wid dat! nuh badda wid dat, mi a beg yuh? Wan Jamaica, boss!
        "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Ever hear the term, "Strange but true"? Next time yuh in Jamaica guh in that constituency.

"wid haul yuh talk bout Jamaica hit ha-ppear yuh a tink bout a Jamaica wid 'wi an dem'??? Wi nuh waant dat! "

I got news for you komrade, Jamaica has been operating in a we and dem manner, why yuh think we in this predicament now?

Comment

I got news for you komrade, Jamaica has been operating in a we and dem manner, why yuh think we in this predicament now?
            ...but, we need to move from that 'wi and dem' to "ONE PEOPLE UNDER GOD..."!

Jine mi nuh?
            "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Ever hear the term, "Strange but true"? Next time yuh in Jamaica guh in that constituency.

"wid haul yuh talk bout Jamaica hit ha-ppear yuh a tink bout a Jamaica wid 'wi an dem'??? Wi nuh waant dat! "

'We and Dem' argument only come in when the JLP is in power.

Remember the JLP is a tool of the priviliged and the Elite.. I wonder is who Manley and the PNP was sucking up tuh in 1989 ?

Comment

Originally posted by Karl View Post
                ...but, we need to move from that 'wi and dem' to "ONE PEOPLE UNDER GOD..."!

Jine mi nuh?
                Sorry, Portia is not my god. You and me operate different KArl. I believe if one cyaan manage the task, kick dem to the curb, you believe as long as the PNP remain in power ... all is well.

Comment

So why Portia don't run in St. Ann and give Lisa Hanna fi her current area??
                  Life is a system of half-truths and lies, opportunistic, convenient evasion.”
                  - Langston Hughes

Comment

St. Ann too far!

Comment

Originally posted by MdmeX View Post
                      So why Portia don't run in St. Ann and give Lisa Hanna fi her current area??

Who she suh? Why must Lisa Hanna just have seat given to her so? What makes her a better candidate than the popular choice of the local delegates. What are her credentials?

There are accepted means of going about this and it seems unseemly that Portia "giving" her a plum seat just like that.

It does not matter anyway, as PnP seems headed to defeat. Man a talk bout 45 seat fi JLP if elections call after the summer. Only 40 if if called sooner. SE St Ann seems to be going green.

Who knows, Maybe Buce will offer Portia the role of GG!

Comment

Lisa saga continues - Mixed reactions to candidacy of former Miss World
                        published: Friday | June 8, 2007

HANNAH
                        Garwin Davis, Gleaner Writer

In an effort to quell the growing resistance to the candidacy of former Miss World Lisa Hanna in South East St. Ann, Prime Minister Portia Simpson Miller yesterday dispatched a high-level team of People's National Party (PNP) officials to meet with executives and residents of the constituency.

It was, however, far from being a cakewalk for the team of Paul Burke, Industry and Commerce Minister Phillip Paulwell, Labour Minister Derrick Kellier, and Burke's wife and Simpson Miller confidante Angella Brown-Burke, as many residents remain adamant that they would in no way support the candidacy of Ms. Hanna.

The meeting was disrupted on numerous occasions as PNP supporters from either side traded insults, with the overwhelming view being that Ms. Hanna would not be welcome as the candidate for the constituency.

Baptised PNP candidate
                        "We don't want any baptised PNP candidate," commented Dorette Hamilton, a veteran PNP South East St. Ann election-day worker. "I may never get another job with the party, but principle is principle. We could care less if she was a former Miss World, but we don't want her down here in South East St. Ann."

An angry Beryl James of Claremont, St. Ann, was equally as dismissive. "When they send Paul Burke and his wife, as well as Phillip Paulwell and Mr. Kellier down here, what is it that they expect to happen?" she asked. "Let's get this straight, we will be voting for the Jamaica Labour Party (JLP) in the next election as no way will we be voting to elect Lisa Hanna. We will be in the square of Claremont tomorrow (today) to make our voices heard. We will not sit quiet and take this."

Mr. Burke was however confident that the worst is over and that persons would eventually warm to the choice of Ms. Hanna being the PNP candidate for the constituency. "Today was a very good day in that we had some very constructive dialogue," he said. "People were allowed to voice their opinions for or against and I feel very good about the way forward."

Asked whether in hindsight things could not have been handled better, Mr. Burke noted that there was always consultation with the constituency executive regarding the selection process. "I don't know how we could have handled it any better," he said. "Like everything else you will always have disagreements but we are confident that the people of South East St. Ann will respect the decision of the Prime Minister."

Regional Chairman Michael Campbell agreed. "Persons may have been surprised by the name Lisa Hanna but there was always consultation on the part of the party hierarchy," he said. "As the regional chairman, I am happy to have someone of the calibre of Miss Hanna as our candidate here in South East St. Ann," he said. "She brings a lot to the table and we welcome her with open arms."

Added Horace Hamilton, a member of the constituency executive: "I will not accept this outsider argument, considering that we are all Jamaicans. It shouldn't matter where in Jamaica you are from, nobody should be branded an outsider, that is plain wrong and maybe even a little stupid."
                        Others though remain firm in their stance that they would rather lose the seat than to be dictated to by "an out of touch political directorate."
                        "This is pure contempt for the people," said Ronald Brown, Bensonton, St. Ann resident. "The Prime Minister didn't even have the courtesy to come down here and meet the people but has resorted to sending her out of touch emissaries. We will be sending her a message on election night so loud that she will regret this decision as long as she live."

Comment

Working...
                        X