JPS talks tough

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JPS talks tough

I think that JPS has played their hand very well these last few days. They have got the attention of the public and the government, which is what they wanted. The key now will be to hold the politicians feet to the fire.

The figures in the article, if accurate, are astonishing. Didn't realise it was that bad.

http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/news/...tough_16678248

Tomblin said the company would go under if the thieves are not reined in, as 200,000 non-paying users of energy are raping the company and, by effect, are punishing those who pay as the cost is defrayed to them.

"We are spending every month $1.8 billion to buy fuel that is stolen. That's about 18 per cent of our fuel bill. $11 billion was stolen last year. The cost is shared by JPS and customers. Thieves use three times the amount of energy than paying customers. The move is to protect paying customers," Tomblin said during a press conference at the company's Knutsford Boulevard headquarters yesterday.

She said the company had lost US$73 million to electricity theft in the last two years and pointed out that if the 200,000 energy thieves would pay up, then electricity rates would drop by an average of 11 per cent across the board.
    "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Wow, those are astonishing figures! No company can survive under those conditions. What took them so long to talk about this issue.....wondering....
    Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else - Vince Lombardi

Comment

They had been talking, nobody was listening. Hence they had to resort to hostage taking. Welcome to Jamrock.

One popular way of measuring the size of the underground economy in a state is by measuring energy consumption as a proxy. These figures say a lot about that situation in JA.
      Last edited by Islandman; May 16, 2014, 08:33 AM.
      "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

The problem I have is the authorities that suppose uphold the laws are not doing it. Government stealing the people deduction, ministers not paying scant attention go guidelines and JPS doing what its customers are doing, and we expect the massive to do any better?

We can't continue like this.
        • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

I wasn't exaggerating when I said JA is a borderline failed state.

That is what 50 years of mostly poor leadership will do.

Comment

The figures I am interested in are the ones for watts used and watts paid for in those communities named in the article.
            I suspect the JPS is being very selective.....

Comment

And the parties, with the support of many of the ignorant masses, will do all that is possible to keep the country from getting better leadership. Failed state is not a joke. We are on the verge of that. Did you notice the report in the paper about the communities in Holness' and Davies' constituencies where 75% of the folks were getting free electricity? How could it be possible that these two senior politicians did not know of this? I am sure they absolutely knew. Not only were they allowing JPS and the country to be robbed, they were robbing the people of their enterprising spirit and keeping the people enslaved to a freeness mentality. With what has been happening, the people are beholden to them and trapped in garrison lives and mentality.
              "Jah Jah see dem a come, but I & I a Conqueror!"

Comment

they gave these numbers already...educate yuhself and stop being selective in what you read

Comment

Wow,is that so,can you please give me the data?

Comment

no...google it...or do the math...we know the cost of a kwh of electricity...divide...

Comment

You are not being helpful,the JPS could have disclosed that info in their press release,why didn't they?
                      Do you know how many watts was used and how many was paid for by those communities...?

Comment

Yes it is sad.

We really not going anywhere while our people are manipulated like this.

Comment

No doubt electricity theft is a serious problem but the JPS is about to pull a Peter Phillips on JP,and with the explicit blessing of you ites that are suckers for numbers.
                          Watch de ride bredrin.

Comment

JPS are no angels, no corporation is nor should we expect them to be.

However as usual Jamaicans like you continue to support lawlessness and indiscipline and then wonder why we are in the mess we are in.

The problem is us, nobody else.

Comment

JPS also need to win the PR. Many people think JPS overcharge them as well. There is no excuse however for this stealing of electricity. What I think JPS need to do is make a very inexpensive rate for very minimal usage of electricity so some of these people can run a one tv, fan or a one fridge. The prepaid card is not a bad idea either so hope they can get it going.
                              • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Working...
                              X