• Show
Clear All

• Vybz Kartel, dancehall and slavery

Vybz Kartel, dancehall and slavery

Franklin JOHNSTON

Friday, March 21, 2014 23 Comments

Print this page Email A Friend!

Vybz Kartel

WITHOUT slavery there would be no dancehall. Without dancehall, no Vybz Kartel. And, if no Kartel, Lizard Williams would be alive and his sister would have no reason to hide. The nexus of English language, Jamaica land, slavery, the British, and their Bible is intertwined; and these retentions define the texture of our entertainment.

Vybz Kartel is proof of concept, and his verdict says our justice system may not find truth or a body, but it makes decisions. The trial per se has little significance in the scheme of things, but it puts our culture in the dock. There is connectivity between murder and "murda music", but how? Tell me.

If you are open to take life, be ready to lose yours. The Kartel verdict will not happen for 80 per cent of murders, so we cannot celebrate. The trial did not get us food, education, peace, jobs, but it elicited the best in our justice system and the worst of our "lickie-lickie" people. Unemployment in the Kingston metropoliton area was down for several weeks as the "rent-a-crowd" was on duty -- the finest men, children and women money can buy. Sale of goods was up during the trial and, if it had gone on for another 60-plus days, GCT might have met IMF targets. His acolytes complained that Kartel did not get public support, but do they not know a court of law is not The Voice talent show? How many votes for Kartel? Life is dancehall; court is justice, and the good guys won this time. The world is truly a stage.

http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/colum...avery_16317492
    THERE IS ONLY ONE ONANDI LOWE!

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.

One of the worst columnist in Jamaica.Clueless if you ask me.

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.

Comment

Originally posted by X View Post
      One of the worst columnist in Jamaica.Clueless if you ask me.
      Really? Perhaps, but he did a good job with this article in my view.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

When are we going to realize with all that history of slavery, with all the negatives around us we can make positive contribution and instead say, despite slavery, despite dirty music and despite the vibes Kartels we can make positives, we can have an economy that will make small Jamaican business trive.

Yes we have had a ruff past but what many of us are having is nothing compared to what our fore parents had. Time we wake up and turn negatives into positives and realize we are the main contributor to our destiny.
        • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Worst how? his writing (style)? or you don't agree with his view? A genuine question.
          Peter R

Comment

His style and his views are not lucid ,its debasing in interpretation as to what he means ,erractic ..without slavery...no Vybz ...without Africans no slavery !

Vybz is proof of a concept (nexus)..English,Jamaica,British Bible ?...then he says the trial put our culture on the dock?....really ,really SMH ..all the trials that go on or dont go on, this one puts our culture in the dock !....What is happening or going to happen to goat Island without following due process,isnt that a continued culture of corruption ?

His conclusion the trial elicited the best in our justice system ,and the worst in our licke licke people ..rent a crowd ? ...so he hasnt heard of garrisonisation or seen it , the nucleus/nexus of renting all things i.e Votes ,hello it happens every 5 years or when dem feel fi call election early ?

His conclusion the good guys won this time ?...really ..the same good guys that has over 40 plus cases sitting on her desk reffered to her by the OCG for prosecution ?

Why do our rich entertainers, poor Rastafarians and professionals who go to Africa not fit in? Our Rastas are quaint, unambitious and cracked -- says my Ethiop friend.....Its not the 1st time I have read him attacking and dismissing Rasta,yet he goes on to exalt Bob and Marcus ,both revered in the Rasta mystology (Jamaican also )...Rastas give more credence to Marcus than to Bob than the average Jamaican.The average Jamaica its the opposite.These same Rastas that open business in carribbean communities in the States and flourish.That orthodox jews ask for blessings before flying to Isreal.

Bobs genius is credited to a new world , a mixed heritage ,not Rasta in his reasoning.

This same man is against the legalisation of ganja because he fears the workforce will become lazy and crazy,criminalisation is okay with him.He made a comment in his column one with an analogy that went like this ..... he grew up,his parents were good christians,civilized that valued hard work under the British.

I could conclude that his forefathers from Africa were savages,uncivilized and lazy.

Dangerous bredda...elitist PNPite.

For the record I believe Vybz should be sentenced ,society acting as if this is a game changer in how we govern ourselves is only fooling themselves.Its a redherring a feel good for idiots.
            Last edited by Sir X; March 22, 2014, 07:33 PM.

Comment

Come to think of it maybe the trial did achieve an elitist objective ,seeing that dancehall was on trial......mek bwoooy know im place....with that into consideration ,nothing has changed,so it validates my conclusion.....Its a feel good- placebo affect for idiots.

Comment

Reparations and ganja — get rich quick schemes?

Franklin JOHNSTON

Friday, January 24, 2014 8 Comments

Print this page Email A Friend!

We made a mockery of ours years of Independence. Our tourism no longer lives ‘out of many one people’; to be Jamaican is to be Rastafarian as they have subtly promoted this image abroad.

The values, character and reputation of this nation are directly related to our conduct in the public arena. And maybe our reparations and ganja forays are wars of convenience, bereft of high principle. I never considered the Europeans who enslaved my ancestors my equals; same for African slavers, heirs and successors who live inglorious history without explanation to us their diaspora. But I am not at ease with using their tactics or citing poverty to justify force or blackmail to cash-in on my ancestors. My Dad would say leave it to retribution! After slavery we were secure, trusting; since Independence, insecure and suspicious. We made a mockery of 50 + 1 years of Independence. Had we done nothing but hold the secular trend line we would be better off. Yet, we must cherish every bit of reputation as "good name better than money". We achieved notoriety in so many things; will they come back to bite us

http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/colum...hemes_15864342

Sick.

Comment

Thanks for the response... something for me to think over before making a comment.
                  Peter R

Comment

Working...
                  X