• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Of Yard, Failing States and Boiling Frogs

"Jamaica on the brink of becoming a failed state" - says UWI Professor
    1:37 pm, Mon July 22, 2013

Professor Brian Meeks

Professor Brian Meeks, Director of the Sir Arthur Lewis Institute of Social & Economic Studies says Jamaica is on the brink of becoming a failed state and needs to recover some degree of maneuverability if it is not to be left completely at the mercy of nation states.

Meeks who was one of five presenters at the People’s National Party’s (PNP), 75th anniversary symposium on the weekend, used the Tivoli Gardens/Dudus event and the long intense negotiations to secure a deal with the International Monetary Fund (IMF) as examples of how tenuous Jamaica's sovereignty is.

He argued that the country's lack of economic growth, results not so much from policies, as it does from politics.

“We don’t take down the flag on August the 6th and s and say we are a failed state, it happens gradually, like a frog in hot water until you don’t realize it and instead of the frog swimming around it is dead in the water. Unless we begin to think very clearly about these things, we are going to arrive at a state where we are a dead frog floating around in the water of the failed Jamaican state."

He said for too long the two major political parties have placed the exigencies of winning elections over reaching a consensus on a common policy with a life span of say fifty years.

The theme of the symposium was "Towards a Brighter Future...Facing the Challenges".
    TIVOLI: THE DESTRUCTION OF JAMAICA'S EVIL EMPIRE

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

D1 - Xposing Dummies since 2007

Only one of the parties has had overwhelming electoral success, so he needs to look there for the lack of growth.

Karl, can you help the perfessah?

Comment

Part of the wider problem...pointing fingers...instead of finding and implementing solutions. The Prof is correct.

Comment

If nobody point finger and nobody study our history, how we going to progress? people have to bear responsibility.

The professor maybe right but are they listening to him? He was at a PNP function. Does the PNP accept what he is saying?
        • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Actually the widest problem is not realizing which party has failed consistently in economic development...

If you don't have this realization you will keep making the same mistake over and over again come election time..

Comment

It shouldn't be about election but forcing the parties to do better.
            • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

As one who is a student of statistic, you should know about Significance.

Comment

Economist seh wi set a World Record in Economic incompetence..

Dat is very significant..

Comment

It's instructive that the discussion IMMEDIATELY deteriorates to partisan politricks:

the country's lack of economic growth, results not so much from policies, as it does from politics.
                  and not a focus on:

for too long the two major political parties have placed the exigencies of winning elections over reaching a consensus on a common policy with a life span of say fifty years.
                  When this destructive folly is ramped up to a national level....Result = A Failed State

Prophecy Fulfill....Ah suh di ting set

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

Comment

People who are afraid to confront their past and move forward will never be successful. We can talk about moving forward together but history will bear witness.

If we are weak enough that we can't be criticized, if we are strong enough that is it only our way or the high way we will achieve nothing. Stats on growth is there for us all to see.

Comment

Originally posted by Assasin View Post
                      People who are afraid to confront their past and move forward will never be successful. We can talk about moving forward together but history will bear witness.

If we are weak enough that we can't be criticized, if we are strong enough that is it only our way or the high way we will achieve nothing. Stats on growth is there for us all to see.
                      Myopic is usual

What holds Jamaica back is NOT economics.... the economics are a symptom of a larger problem... i.e. socio-political policies resulting in division, corruption from the Head to the Horse's Ass, tribalism, open warfare, human degradation and assorted ills

On matters of development I prefer to listen to development experts rather than Jamaicans of a limited view and tribal leanings... i.e. Jamaica's core problems are caused by systemic crime & corruption, division as well as the Education Cyaan Nyam philosophy.

Those problems largely arise out of JLPNP POLITICAL policies...PERIOD.

Unless Jamaica overcomes it's extremely tribal political psychosis... we are on the road to nowhere. The failed Gelding regime is a case in point.... as are all other failed regimes including the current one in office.

Now whosoever wishes to engage in a political beauty contest....dem free fi pick fi dem "winner", sash dem and place a crown upon them

For me the JLP & PNP are 2 sides of the same corrupt, incompetent and failed JLPNP shitstem

Comment

what Jamaica lack is leadership at all level. No problem can't be overcome by leadership and accountability by the people. That is where it start. It takes a leader, as simple as that.

We can talk till we blue if nobody is willing to give of themselves it maybe NDM, Rasta, or whoever or any system you put in place the same corrupted people will rule under different names.

Comment

I agree

Comment

You are correct.. the economics is a symptom of a large problem..

When a Minister of Foreign Affairs can scorn Singapore because in his mind they are merely a propped up creation of the United States.. you best believe you have a LARGE problem..

Gwaan yap.. mad people are being created at that Don Quixote laboratory in Mona and let loose to create havoc in the country...

Look like unnuh nuh know wheh clock has been striking...

Comment

At last check what I noticed
                              let loose to create havoc in the country...
                              was the near state takeover by Tivarli Republican Guards created & nurtured by a certain DayWalkin' Vampiya

It did all mek Whirl News an TV show ah Babylon mi ear?

Yuh neva ave TV ah Hanover wen yuh did flee dehsuh??? woooooooooiiiiiiiiieeeeeeeeeeeeeeee LOL

Comment

Working...
                              X