Portia the Visionary Leader

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Portia the Visionary Leader

Jawge, you wrote the following today: “Plantocracy has no place in the info age…. Well the plantation owners want Phillips.”

Since, presumably, it is the grassroots who most want Portia Simpson-Miller, are we to deduce then that the grassroots (masses) of Jamaica represent “the info age”?

It’s actually ironic that, on the one hand, you consistently present strong arguments for Jamaica to enter the modern “information age” and utilize all those associated technologies of the developed world while, on the other hand, you feel that a populist leader (and you always use Nanny as a metaphor) is best suited to provide the leadership that Jamaica needs at this time.

The first time (last year) I saw you post that “Nanny P was ahead of her time,” I honestly thought that you were being cynical. I soon found out, to my shock, that you were being sincere in your views! Of course, I realize that you think highly of Portia, and so do many other Jamaicans. But do you understand what the term “visionary leadership,” in the context of twenty-first century developing states like those of the Caribbean, really means?

From all accounts, Portia genuinely loves her people. However, looking around at their sordid living conditions and their dilapidated environment, which has seen little change in the decades that Portia Simpson-Miller has been the representative of that South West St Andrew constituency, I’m wondering how many of her constituents genuinely feel that she is “ahead of her time,” as you describe her? Same goes for her tenure in ministries such as tourism and sports.

This grassroots emotive appeal has run its full course! Personally speaking, I’m not sure if what Jamaica really needs today is another populist leadership. In fact, that’s been part of our social and political problem since independence. Literally!

Rather than repeatedly making your call for leadership from an aging politician who represents an old, obsolete period, wouldn’t it be a better idea to call for young, fresh-thinking, leadership? These young, preferably cosmopolitan leaders, in my view, would fit in perfectly with your constant calls for Jamaica to adopt a modern, information-age model of development.

By the way, why the constant comparison with Nanny, the Maroon leader whose alleged greatness lies to a large extent with stories orally passed down through generations of Jamaicans since the eighteenth century? Surely you must be aware that there is little empirical data on Nanny, thus making her exploits to a great extent legendary but unproven. Surely you can find visionary women from post-1963 modern Jamaica who you can use to draw your desired parallels with Portia Simpson-Miller!

Originally posted by Historian View Post
    [The first time (last year) I saw you post that “Nanny P was ahead of her time,” I honestly thought that you were being cynical. I soon found out, to my shock, that you were being sincere in your views!
    LOLOLOLOLOL!!!!!

This exchange should be good. Mek me grab a Red Stripe and watch!!
    "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

Originally posted by Islandman View Post
      LOLOLOLOLOL!!!!!

This exchange should be good. Mek me grab a Red Stripe and watch!!
      Hope neither you nor Historian waiting for a response. Jawge would end up posting one of the many novels he has been promising us on various topics since 1999.
      "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

Well Portia always put poor people first.

Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else - Vince Lombardi

Comment

Good post!

Portia has long go lost the plot and the PNP is in limbo.

Comment

Portia and Jamaicans

In failed-state scenarios (and Jamaica, with an entire generation of its citizens knowing nothing but poverty and hopelessness all their lives, comes perilously close to falling in this category), people cling with desperation to questionable leaders who give them hope. This is generally the rule, and takes place without recognition of the repeated failures of the leaders and wannabe leaders who continue to trumpet solutions to the hopelessness.

How else, aside from desperation and hopelessness (mixed with blind party loyalty), can one explain the phenomena of PJ Patterson remaining as a prime minister for such a large portion of 21st century Jamaica, and also of Portia today still being regarded by many as the one to lead Jamaica to the next level of social and economic development?

Incredulous!

Comment

Originally posted by Historian View Post
              In failed-state scenarios (and Jamaica, with an entire generation of its citizens knowing nothing but poverty and hopelessness all their lives, comes perilously close to falling in this category), people cling with desperation to questionable leaders who give them hope. This is generally the rule, and takes place without recognition of the repeated failures of the leaders and wannabe leaders who continue to trumpet solutions to the hopelessness.

How else, aside from desperation and hopelessness (mixed with blind party loyalty), can one explain the phenomena of PJ Patterson remaining as a prime minister for such a large portion of 21st century Jamaica, and also of Portia today still being regarded by many as the one to lead Jamaica to the next level of social and economic development?

Incredulous!
              Well, regarding PJ ... he did fine tune the art of winning elections. Yuh waan know how great PJ was? Wait till the J$1500 bill drop.
              "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

The 2-Party system was upset by the formation of a 3rd party.. simple as that.

Things appear to have returned to 'normal'

Bruce was the natural progression from Eddie and we could have been saved 2 TERMS of PNP mismanagement.. suh it guh.

Biggest concern now is the state of the civil service and garrison state agencies... cyaan move forward until major changes have been implemented.. WIP...

Comment

Suh it go?

Thats all you have to say about the JLP's total lack of leadership and organization for at least a decade?

When the history books are written (assuming we still have people capable of writing them by then) a lot will have to be said about Seagas near-destruction of the JLP and the impact it had on Jamaican politics and govt at the end of the 20th century.
                  "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

Faddah Eddie is our Leadah !

Comment

Islandman, you have me Laughing!!

Boss, I honestly enjoy this part of your sentence, “When the history books are written (assuming we still have people capable of writing them by then)….”

This is a genuinely humor line, and I know I’ll still be laughing when the weekend comes!

Comment

Suh why yuh tink Darry Vaz nevah boddah write up a will and fling through di Plane Window ??

Comment

Developing a cult is one thing, developing an organization that sees its leader as a czar is quite different.

Comment

Correction

Correction: “This is a genuinely humorous line….”

Comment

Maybe it is the price of evolution...

Yuh complaining that it took 10 years... how long is it going to take the PNP to get out of their mess ?

Comment

Working...
                              X