• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The case for greater cassava production

LETTER OF THE DAY - The case for greater cassava production

published: Wednesday | April 23, 2008

The Editor, Sir:

I wholeheartedly support the recent proposal by Minister of Agriculture Dr Christopher Tufton that that cassava be put into production as an alternative to rice. Food security is a worldwide concern and we need to proactively pursue import alternatives.

It is beyond me why Dr Tufton's proposal is being met with such opposition when he should be supported for his foresight. Cassava is one of the most researched tuber crops. The International Institute of Tropical Agriculture in Nigeria has worked with cassava for decades and has extensive outreach programmes with farmers in many different African countries through which they share best practices, research and distribute high-yielding and disease-free cassava and other tuber crops such as yams and dasheen.

Cyanide
    Letters opposing Dr Tufton's proposal drew reference to cassava's cyanide index. Chemically bound cyanide is inherently present in cassava, particularly in bitter cassava. Fermentation and washing of pulverised cassava make it safe for consumption. Certainly cassava to be used for flour production will undergo careful processing as is done for bammies.
    I take it the opponents to Dr Tufton's proposal do not partake of our national dish of ackee and salted codfish; or is it likely they are not cognisant of ackee having hypoglycin - a potent poison.

There is concern about cassava's protein content. No one food supplies all requisite nutrients. What is going to be important, therefore, is complementary farming in Minister Tufton's tender to improve the agri-sector. While he is working to get cassava production off the ground, he should, for example, evaluate the feasibility of reactivating the hundreds of acres of ponds in Mitchell Town, Clarendon, to meet the protein needs through fish and shrimp production.

We already have institutions such as the Bureau of Standards, which can monitor cassava's end product safety. The minister should commission institutions such as the College of Agriculture, Science and Education and officers from the Rural Agricultural Development Agency (RADA) to organise workshops and do fieldwork with local farmers to get the project up and running. It is important we support our seriously results-oriented minister in charge of such a critical body as the Ministry of Agriculture.

Advantages of cassava
    I, however, wish him luck with RADA as for three years (2001-2004) I applied for and was in constant contact with their offices (by phone and visits to no avail) in my bid to acquire lands in St Thomas they had 'earmarked' for leasing so I could extend my farming operation.

Let's be mindful of some notable advantages of cassava farming such as its ease of propagation, ease of care and high yield. The attributes of this staple make it an ideal crop for growing islandwide in our varied soil types. I say to those who are opposed to a good idea, when you state a disfavour offer a viable alternative.

I am, etc.,

ALLENDE
    allende@writeme.com Port Royal
    Life is a system of half-truths and lies, opportunistic, convenient evasion.”
    - Langston Hughes
Working...
X