Will The Prof recall The Bomber?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will The Prof recall The Bomber?

In a 2006 article by Gordon Williams, Andy williams was said to be willing to come out of retirement to rejoin the ReggaeBoyz. Now, with the return of the old firm (Burrell, Reid and Simoes) will Andy once again grace the field as a ReggaeBoy?

The better question is this: can Andy help the ReggaeBoyz' midfield? Though no longer a young-legged linkman, I believe that Andy Williams still has the skill , knowledge and savvy to be an integral part of The Prof's back to Africa campaign. Undoubtedly, none of our present ReggaeBoyz midfielder can pass the ball over 10 yards with the consistent accuracy as Andy is able to......of course with possible exception of the much heralded Maestro, Jerry Hue.

That said, I think it would behoove Messrs Burrell, Reid and Simoes to make the call to Real salt Lake with a view to wooing the player back to the international stage. With the slated upcoming games for February and March (on FIFA dates), it would add to the excitement to see Andy Williams name among the foreign-based invitees.
    "The contribution of forumites and others who visit shouldn’t be discounted, and offending people shouldn’t be the first thing on our minds. Most of us are educated and can do better." Mi bredrin Sass Jan. 29,2011

I don't think we need Andy. He has some good skills but if we work wid bibi, Austin and a few more young middy like cousins etc. who have the youth, and workmanship on their side we will be better off.

It also depends on the formation Rene will play as Dane Richards, JJ, Omar Daley could also be midfielders.
    • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

I beg to differ Sass

I "think we need Andy." Frankly, we don't have such a large pool of players that we can afford to say we don't "need" someone of Andy's ilk. I know we have plenty young and upcoming players but we need a mix of youth and experience to carry us through qualifying. And in terms of age, Andy is still young enough to contribute, if at least throughout the qualifying stages. As long as the player is still good, still has the zest for the international stage and still adds different dynamics to the squad he should be considered.
      Last edited by Farmah; December 17, 2007, 12:54 PM.
      "The contribution of forumites and others who visit shouldn’t be discounted, and offending people shouldn’t be the first thing on our minds. Most of us are educated and can do better." Mi bredrin Sass Jan. 29,2011

Comment

Well we can differ but I just think the upside for our youngsters is great and with the exposure in that position they will be great. Andy is kinda winding down right yah now and we need some pace inna that position yah now.
        • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

when was the last time you saw him play?

Comment

who cares!? did he play in world cup 98? okay then, argument done!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

As recent as his last game for RSL....but that's beside the point.

Why is it that other nations (with much bigger player pool than ours) will use older players but we think that we are above that? If the player can still contribute then he should be considered. Mosiah asked if he played in '98? Yes, and so di Bibi, Beckham, Michael Owens et al.

Portugal played Luis Figo and Luis Costa in the 2006 World Cup, and France did likewise with Zinedine Zidane. Oh...all three were 34-year-old players, with birth dates in 1972.

Let's look at the date of birth of some players who are still being considered by their countries:

M. Ballack - Sept 26th, 1976
              D. Beckham - May 2nd, 1975
              S. Gerrard - May 30th, 1980
              F. Lampard - June 20th, 1978
              J. Riquelme - June 24th, 1978
              Ronaldinho - March 21st, 1980

And yet, Andy Williams with a birthdate of Sept 23, 1977 is being scoffed at. Go figure!!! Get real!

Comment

The man has retired from international ball. Let him be!
                Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else - Vince Lombardi

Comment

Farmah: Yuh is a reasonable man, but you are grasping at straws like my good friend Jawge now. All those players you mention are still competing at a level which is higher than anything Andy will ever play in this lifetime.

That said, I am not against recalling Andy if he still has something to contribute. I would not recall him however if it were a situation that we are going off past performance and not current form.

I wonder why guys always chose to make their cases by making reference to players who are still playing top flight football and comparing dates of birth. This is not comparing apples with apples.
                  "Only when you drink from the river of silence shall you indeed sing. And when you have reached the mountain top, then you shall begin to climb. And when the earth shall claim your limbs, then shall you truly dance." ~ Kahlil Gibran

Comment

Et Tu Tilla, then case closed!

Comment

well I saw him play againt TFC and he look woefully out of shape and played mabye 15 minutes for Real Salt Lake. I dont see how he makes any sensible squad unless he drop about 30 lbs and increase his work rate. Andy is a shadow of himself.

Comment

Tilla I'm not grasping at straws because to
                        date Ja has no better midfielder than Tappa (which in itself is a damn shame).

Comment

We need a playmaker...someone who can pass the ball well over long and short ranges, someone with good dribbling skills.

It appears Jerry Hue will not be part of our push to 2010...so Andy williams is definately an option....even if he starts on the bench.
                          President of the FACCAC - Fans Againts Clueless Crenston and Cronies (cronies include Mosiah and Sicko)

Comment

Form RF, form. Who is better at this time, Hue or Andy? Why are you writing off Hue, but giving Andy the go ahead? Hue is still the younger of the two and has not announced his retirement from the international game.
                            "Only when you drink from the river of silence shall you indeed sing. And when you have reached the mountain top, then you shall begin to climb. And when the earth shall claim your limbs, then shall you truly dance." ~ Kahlil Gibran

Comment

I would never write off the man I went to school with, the man who hail from my home parish of st. thomas, and the man who I still rate on par with the likes of Carlos Valderrama. It baffles me how a player with his skills cant remain a regular fixture on jamaica's team. I have given up hope, mainly out of frustration.
                              President of the FACCAC - Fans Againts Clueless Crenston and Cronies (cronies include Mosiah and Sicko)

Comment

Working...
                              X