Everything Reggae Boyz Forum
 King's future still uncertain
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Karl

USA
914 Posts

Posted - Jul 03 2006 :  5:48:56 PM  Show Profile  Visit Karl's Homepage  Reply with Quote

...Watford striker to face disciplinary hearing
BY KAYON RAYNOR Observer staff reporter
Monday, July 03, 2006

THE future of Reggae Boy Marlon King with the national football programme is still uncertain, following a three-hour meeting of the Jamaica Football Federation (JFF) board of directors yesterday at the JFF headquarters in New Kingston.

KING ... will be required to respond either in writing or in person at the hearing
The Observer understands that the board decided that general secretary Burchell Gibson should write to the Watford player advising him that a disciplinary hearing will be held into the matter. The letter is also to outline the allegations against the striker. King is then expected to respond either in writing or in person to the said charges.
No date has been set for the disciplinary hearing.

On June 1, King was expelled by the JFF for disciplinary reasons, prior to the team's historic game against England, which the Reggae Boyz subsequently lost 6-0 at Old Trafford on June 3.
Team-mates Jason Euell and Jamal Campbell-Ryce received lighter punishment - fined half their match fees - after the JFF management and technical staff heard appeals by all three players.

The JFF team had earlier expelled all three players who broke curfew.
Then the JFF, through president Crenston Boxhill, issued a statement to the effect that the disciplinary actions were borne out of the JFF's policy of "zero tolerance" against actions that "can harm team unity and goals" and "potentially bring the game into disrepute".

Following yesterday's board meeting, Boxhill told the Observer that "the board of directors unanimously endorsed the action that was taken by myself and other members that were there (in England) as it related to the punishment that was meted out to King ... and as it relates to his future with the programme, we will be making an announcement soon, as far as that is concerned."

The marathon meeting attended by 24 of the 33 JFF board members was brought forward from its original date in August. It also dealt with the profits derived from the 10-day two-match tour of England, player transfers, local referee fees and the South Central Confederation issue.

On the matter of the finances, general secretary Gibson yesterday told the Observer: "It is estimated that a profit of J$5 million was made from the tour, which saw the Reggae Boyz playing Ghana and England." Gibson further noted that the board of directors approved new transfer fees to be effective on the new transfer window that begins July 13 and ends September 7.

"The transfer fees previously ranged from a low of $10,000 to a high of $60,000 for the professional players ... the new transfer fees are now at a high of $130,000 and this depends on the player's age and the number of seasons he has played in the premier league. No amateur player will be allowed to be transferred on loan," said Gibson.

The general secretary also disclosed that the board approved an increase for referees. "We will see an increase of referees' fees across the board at a high of 30 per cent and a minimum of 10 per cent, but it all depends on the fees for the various competitions now being categorised from category A to category G."

Karl

Karl

USA
914 Posts

Posted - Jul 06 2006 :  10:18:06 AM  Show Profile  Visit Karl's Homepage  Reply with Quote
NEWSFLASH: Euell tells all about JFF incompetence—DweetSweet, Yesterday at 5:46:07 PM

Taken from Euell's blog on http://www.icons.com/Euell/diary.html

Jamaica need to get their act together

Now the dust has settled on the debacle that was Jamaica's recent tour to England, I feel the time is right to voice my opinion on what went on behind the scenes that week, much of which contributed to our two heavy losses.

A 4-1 defeat against Ghana and a 6-0 hammering by England left us all very low and did not reflect the true ability we have in the squad. But when your preparation and training sessions are not conducive to international football, you are always going to struggle.

Having played in the Premiership throughout my career, I am used to training sessions of the highest order, yet I felt that there was not enough attention to detail in the sessions laid on by the Jamaican coaching staff, not enough background done on our opponents, and given that we had 10 days together as a unit, there was no excuse for not being fully prepared.

Three towels between a whole squad meant that we had to share - you wouldn't even get this kind of disorganisation with a Sunday league team.

Yet our problems were not just confined to the training pitch; prior to the Ghana match on Bank Holiday Monday we turned up for our first training session the previous Thursday at Watford's Vicarage Road stadium, when we should have been at Watford's training ground at London Colney. I don't know who was responsible for the mistake but what I do know is that when we finally arrived at Colney, it was nearly nine o'clock at night and due to the lack of light, we had to turn right round and return to our team hotel.

The following day, our captain Donovan Ricketts called a team meeting to negotiate match fees. Obviously some of the squad do not earn a great deal and as the game against England would be the most high-profile the nation had played since the 1998 World Cup, we felt the squad should be rewarded accordingly. This situation should have been sorted out long before the Ghana fixture, but here we were, some three days before the game, and the bickering had only just begun. It got to the point where the team was on the
verge of pulling out of both fixtures altogether and it took a day-and-a-half for an agreement to be thrashed out.

And it did not end there; on the day of the Ghana game, we arrived at the Walker's Stadium just 30 minutes before kick-off. The disorganisation amazed me and while the players were ready and waiting on the coach, we were held up by the backroom staff and it wasn't until 3pm that we left the team hotel for a four o'clock kick-off. Given the heavy traffic in Leicester, this didn't leave nearly enough time, so we simply got changed as quickly as we could and went out to play - there wasn't even time for a team meeting.

Not surprisingly, we had a poor first half and it wasn't until we re-grouped at half-time that we sorted ourselves out and for the opening 25 minutes after the break, the Ghanaians couldn't get out of their own half. We scored but then our opponents sneaked one in against the run of play and that killed the game for us.

Marlon King was substituted in the second half and when I followed him back to the changing rooms I was amazed when he told me that we had just three towels to use in the showers. Three towels between a whole squad meant that we had to share - you wouldn't even get this kind of disorganisation with a Sunday league team, but it is another example of the lack of professionalism that existed on the tour.

Much has been said and written about the events which surrounded Marlon King's departure from the squad, some of which has been well wide of the mark, but I would like to go on record and defend Marlon who, I feel, was made a scapegoat in the whole sorry episode.

On the evening of the England v Hungary game, the players were invited to Old Trafford to take in the atmosphere, but having played there before, I decided to go out for the evening with Marlon and Jamal Campbell-Ryce in Manchester. We returned to our rooms at 2am to discover our doors had been locked, so Marlon went down to reception to sort the problem out. He was informed that we were not allowed to enter our rooms under the orders of Jamaican FA President Crenston Boxhill, so we confronted the officials to try and resolve the issue.

We were told in no uncertain terms that we were being sent home for breaking a curfew - even though there was never one set. While we were out, and without our prior knowledge, there was a team meeting held at 11.30pm and the officials decided to lock our doors to see what time we would return. Naturally we were bemused, given there was no curfew handed to us beforehand, and at this point Marlon packed his bags and left of his own accord, completely disillusioned and upset with the events of the whole week. The Jamaican FA then issued a release the following day - which was done without even informing the players beforehand - that Marlon had been axed and sent home from the squad, but I can confirm that he wasn't axed, he left of his own accord.

I also went home for a day, just to get my head right, but was allowed to stay in the squad - as was Jemal - but the whole unnecessary episode completely overshadowed our preparation for the England match. For two days the papers were full of what happened that night when it should have been dealt internally, and quickly, so we could then have focused on such a big game.

I hope this diary entry isn't taken the wrong way by the officials within the Jamaican FA because, like them, I just want to see the country successful on the international stage and make the people back home proud of their team - just like they were in 1998. All I'm doing is voicing my concerns in the hope that any problems that do exist can be rectified by the time we all meet up again.

Nothing makes me prouder than pulling on the Jamaica shirt and hopefully, with my experience, I can play a major part in the development of this squad. I'm more than happy for the powers that be to utilise my knowledge, both on and off the pitch, and I sincerely hope that a new unity will emerge from the problems of the past couple of weeks.

Against England we showed glimpses of our true capabilities and if our preparation is right then we can make big strides in the next couple of years. The goal is qualification for the next World Cup and we can get there, but it takes more than just eleven players on the pitch to make a successful team.

Karl
Go to Top of Page

Karl

USA
914 Posts

Posted - Jul 06 2006 :  10:21:07 AM  Show Profile  Visit Karl's Homepage  Reply with Quote
King issue dominates Air J press conference
Barnes, Jimmy Cliff give Boyz pep talk
Ian Burnett, Sports Editor
Saturday, June 03, 2006

Manchester City, England - The sacking of Marlon King from the Jamaica team dominated yesterday's Air Jamaica press conference here at the Marriott, Worsley Park Hotel and Country Club.

Held to promote the Jamaica team ahead of today's first ever meeting between Jamaica and England, the British press was interested in mainly one subject matter - Marlon King.

The Jamaican team and their make-up was of little interest to the handful of journalists who joined the conference a few hours before the English team's press conference at Old Trafford.

As Jamaica Football Federation (JFF) president Crenston Boxhill opened the discussion, he issued a statement relating to Marlon King's response to his eventual sacking from the team.

"Just to put a little matter to rest, I think before going into the historic match, I would like to read a statement that has been prepared by myself and it has to do with the slightly embarrassing situation that has been in every news media over the past couple of days.

"I personally was a little bit disappointed, maybe not too surprised, about the statements I have seen in the media over the last 48 hours on behalf of Marlon King in response to him being asked to leave the team. I would really like to take this opportunity to state the facts as they are.

"In the early hours of Wednesday morning Marlon returned to the hotel, I think, and he admitted, a little intoxicated in the company of uninvited guests. When met by senior members of the team's management I think Marlon said some inappropriate things. Some of these things were embarrassing, disrespectful to the team and to Jamaica on a whole. It was also disrespectful to all the people who have worked tirelessly to make this tour a reality, and as the president I had to take a stand, unfortunate as it was, as Marlon was an integral part of the team, but we had no choice but to ask Marlon to leave the team.

"Since then we have regrouped, we have put it behind us, the team is in high spirits and we are looking forward to the game coming up on Saturday.

"That is basically as far as I would like to go on that particular matter so that we can put it at rest and deal with this very important matter, and that is the game against England come tomorrow at 2:00 pm."

When quizzed about the uninvited guests, Boxhill would only say:

"I can confirm that the uninvited guests were not members of my team. I am quite familiar with my team members. I know how my team members dress, I know the hairstyle they wear and I know how they look."

He hinted that there could still be an international future for King, but he was not prepared to deal with that issue at this time.

"We have not reached that stage yet. we have asked him to leave this particular camp. When this is over we will sit and see what happens then. Marlon contacted me personally the following day and he said to me he figured he had said a few things that he shouldn't have said and that he had had too much to drink and his agent contacted me and we discussed it and I told him what we had planned to do. Marlon left here knowing what the decision was.

"Regarding money, again that was unfortunate. I just think the outbursts from Marlon was coming from a frustrated young man."

Jason Euell - who was in attendance at the press conference, along with team-mates Deon Burton and Donovan Ricketts, as well as coach Wendell Downswell and Sandria Faulkner of Air Jamaica - revealed that they did not know of the curfew.
"It is something we didn't want to bring into the camp and get involved in the game, but there are issues to be sorted out, we all know that, but we just need to try and concentrate on the game for tomorrow because that is the main focus.

"I know the stories need to go out but we need to concentrate on the game tomorrow. The issues are between the players, the Federation and everyone involved in Jamaican football. everyone is still learning."

Meanwhile, former England footballer, Jamaican-born Johnny Barnes, made a surprise visit to the Reggae Boyz at their hotel last evening. Barnes had a pep talk with the players and if that was not enough, Reggae icon Jimmy Cliff, who is slated to sing the Jamaican National Anthem at today's game, also paid a courtesy call on the players.

Cliff encouraged the Boyz to give of their best, interspersing his message with words from some of his hit songs. "You can make it if you really want it," he sang, literally, before adding: "There are many rivers to cross."

He even gave the Reggae Boyz a sneak preview of a new song, featuring the Reggae Boyz.

The Boyz were ecstatic and truly enjoyed the great man's humble presence, which included photo opportunities.

Karl
Go to Top of Page

Karl

USA
914 Posts

Posted - Jul 06 2006 :  10:26:07 AM  Show Profile  Visit Karl's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Jamaica Observer EDITORIAL: Take a bow, Mr Boxhill

Friday, June 02, 2006

Mr Crenston Boxhill and the executive of the Jamaica Football Federation (JFF) are to be commended for expelling Mr Marlon King from the Jamaica squad that will play England in a World Cup warm-up match at Old Trafford tomorrow.

Mr King, it has been reported, broke curfew with two other players - Messrs Jason Euell and Jamal Campbell-Ryce - and when they were confronted about this breach of discipline, instead of apologising, Mr King was rude to the team management. In fact, said Mr Boxhill, Mr King showed no remorse for his action.

Mr Boxhill and his executives will likely face harsh criticism for their decision. After all, Mr King emerged from this season's English Championship as the leading scorer with 22 goals, thus helping his club Watford gain promotion to the prestigious Premier League.

But for too long athletes, particularly those who are exceptionally gifted, have been allowed to get away with loutish behaviour, either on or off the field.
Their actions have, by and large, been excused by sports administrators, sports journalists and fans who will tell you that 'that's how stars behave' or worse, 'that's how they are expected to behave'.

What is amazing is that these star-struck apologists are unable to recognise the fallacy of their argument. For what they are really saying is that by virtue of being talented one is entitled to be ill-mannered and show scant regard for authority.

Fortunately, we do not share this view. For like the JFF we believe firmly that "discipline is critical to building professionalism". But we go even further, as we have always held that sport is more than the thrill of competing and winning; it is also about building human character.

By taking this action against Mr King and by fining Messrs Euell and Campbell-Ryce half their fees for tomorrow's game, the JFF has scored a victory for discipline and has, hopefully, set the tone for how it operates in the future.

The action also represents a refreshing change from what obtained in the past when undisciplined players were basically regarded as untouchables because they were deemed to be too valuable to the team, and our supreme goal was to qualify for the World Cup Finals in France.

But while we did make our historic appearance in the finals and the country felt good and proud, we sent the wrong signal to our youngsters about the value of discipline.

In a way, the same can be said of what obtained in West Indies cricket in the recent past and which manifested itself in the unprofessionalism we saw in the team up to a few months ago.

Apparently, all that seems to be changing for the better. At least, we hope it is.

Karl
Go to Top of Page

Karl

USA
914 Posts

Posted - Jul 06 2006 :  10:28:02 AM  Show Profile  Visit Karl's Homepage  Reply with Quote
JFF to decide in three weeks' time on King's future

BY KAYON RAYNOR Observer staff reporter
Saturday, June 17, 2006

THREE weeks from Sunday, the Jamaica Football Federation (JFF) will meet on July 2, to decide on the future of out-of-favour striker Marlon King, following his conduct at the recent camp in England.

Also, the profits derived from the 10-day tour will be on the agenda at the meeting which was originally scheduled for the month of August.
This was disclosed by general secretary Burchell Gibson at Thursday's media briefing at the JFF headquarters in New Kingston.

"Customarily, the board meetings are held on Sundays and the notice will have to be 14 days, so if we look at a minimum of 14 days' notice that would involve two Sundays, we are expecting that it will be two Sundays from Sunday (June 18)," Gibson said.

"We will certainly advise board members during the course of this week and immediately after that board meeting, then we will advise the public as to the decision taken by the board."

On June 1, the Observer reported that King was expelled by the JFF for disciplinary reasons, prior to the team's historic game against England, which the Reggae Boyz subsequently lost 6-0 at Old Trafford on June 3.

Team-mates Jason Euell and Jamal Campbell-Ryce received lighter punishment - fined half their match fees - after the JFF management and technical staff heard appeals by all three players.

The JFF team had earlier expelled all three players, who broke curfew.
Then the JFF, through president Boxhill, issued a statement to the effect that the disciplinary actions were borne out of the JFF's policy of "zero tolerance" against actions that "can harm team unity and goals" and "potentially bring the game into disrepute".

At Thursday's press briefing, Boxhill reiterated that stance, adding that all players know that curfew exists for all JFF camps. "As it relates to leaving the camp, it is impossible for anyone to leave the camp without the permission from the person in charge, who is normally the coach.

"And, of course, under no circumstances can we tolerate a player, especially a senior player, a professional player, preparing for a match justify coming in after 2:00 am intoxicated and at that time accompanied by female guests.

King's behaviour was inexcusable, especially for a professional of his calibre, his response and remark was less than what was required and the issue was whether it should've been dealt with internally or whether the situation should be made public... we opted for the latter, because based on the open way in which the indiscipline was exposed almost to the entire squad, we felt the federation was putting future relations with our players at severe risk if we played down the incident.

"Simply put, it was going to be very difficult, if not impossible to deal firmly with incidents of similar behaviour by others in the future," said Boxhill.

Meanwhile, the JFF boss disclosed that tender for Jamaica's first football academy on the outskirts of Malvern in St Elizabeth will take place shortly. "As it relates to the academy, the necessary architectural drawings are now being completed and I had a telephone discussion with the quantity surveyor ... and he has assured that in another two weeks he will be in a position to put that for tender.

"Based on experience and advice, we will therefore expect construction to begin by the end of July with the aim of completing phase one by January 2007," said Boxhill.

Boxhill, who noted that despite losing 4-1 to Ghana and 6-0 to England, the tour yielded mixed results, added that positive meetings were derived for the further development of the entire football programme.

"In terms of the football, disappointing as I've said, however, in terms of partnerships with business and public sector related entities, I rate it very positively." He added: "We feel very positive about these linkages and the follow-up discussions that continued since I returned (from England)."

He further added that discussions are well advanced for the national senior team to play a number of friendly internationals both locally and overseas.
However, Boxhill declined to comment on the teams the JFF is negotiating with.

On the matter of reported discussions with John Barnes for the post of Technical Director, Boxhill said: "It is a very delicate issue from many perspectives. It is, suffice to say however, that as the federation begins to look at World Cup 2010 preparations, a review of all elements of our structure is critical."

He added: "We are very much aware that there are weaknesses in the technical department that need immediate attention, and yes it has begun with discussion with some people, including Mr Barnes with respect to the upgrading of the technical department," said Boxhill.
The JFF boss refused to disclose who were the other persons targeted for the job of technical director, but said: "I can assure you that the country will be kept informed."

Karl
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Reggae Boyz Supporterz Club Forums © © 2000 Snitz Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000