Everything Reggae Boyz Forum
 The FA urged to appoint English coach
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Karl

USA
914 Posts

Posted - Oct 07 2005 :  08:48:55 AM  Show Profile  Visit Karl's Homepage  Reply with Quote

Will Steve McClaren get the chance to succeed his boss?
Three former England managers are urging the Football Association to appoint a home-grown successor to current boss Sven-Goran Eriksson.
Sir Bobby Robson, Graham Taylor and Howard Wilkinson all agree that the next England manager should be English.

"I hope at the next time of asking we turn to an Englishman because there are enough quality candidates in England to take the job," Robson told BBC Sport.

Sam Allardyce, Steve McClaren and Alan Curbishley would be the front runners.

Taylor/Robson/Wilkinson
on the main contenders

Eriksson has a contract to remain in the England job until 2008.

Robson and Taylor agreed that the success of foreign managers in the Premiership such as Gerard Houllier, Arsene Wenger and Jose Mourinho had made it harder for home-grown candidates to prove themselves.

Taylor told Radio Five Live: "English managers have been denied by the success of foreign managers in the Premiership.

"English managers have had to take a back seat because they have been unable to get jobs with big clubs and have therefore lacked European experience.

"People like Alan Curbishley (Charlton), Sam Allardyce (Bolton) and Steve McClaren (Middlesbrough) have done extremely well but the clubs they are at have lacked financial clout."

Reputations at stake

But Allardyce believes he and the other domestic candidates have now closed the gap on their overseas rivals.

"We have got up to speed now - and we needed to," he told Radio Five Live.

"We were challenged by people coming from abroad and taking up jobs in this country which made us have to compete more and improve, and we have done that."

Allardyce, revealing he had a dossier on "every single player in the Premiership", insisted his methods were as advanced if not more so than foreign coaches such as Wenger.

"I am always striving to be very forward thinking and try things other clubs might not have tried.

"We're all striving for that extra ½%. It is extremely difficult and lies with the overall planning and intensity of your training programme.

"Not just as a group but with individual players - what makes them tick, how to get the best out of them physically, mentally, technically and tactically. Football clubs now spend a huge amount of time researching that."

Curbishley calls for English manager

Allardyce repeated his desire to manage overseas to strengthen his credentials while Curbishley has already said he believes there are enough English managers already qualified for the job.

"I want to challenge myself to go abroad and show I am on the same level as them and can compete," said Allardyce.

"It's natural to have to deal with competition here because we have the most entertaining league in the world and everyone is watching around the world week in week out, your reputation is at stake every time your team plays."

Robson believes English managers need such patience before taking on an international.

"To take on the England job you have got to be over 40 years old, and have a wealth of knowledge and experience because it is the biggest job in the country," he said.

"I was at Ipswich for 14 years before I got the England job and for 10 of those years I had been playing in Europe, so it is a long road to success and you have to be patient to prove your worth."

THE CONTENDERS: WHAT THEY SAID
Alan Curbishley:

Club management: Charlton 1991 - to date.
P: 682. W: 263. L: 242. D: 177
Taylor:He has done a fantastic job at Charlton bringing that club up against the odds and playing a massive part in reviving it. What more can you ask of Alan?

Wilkinson: Not having played in Europe, as Alan hasn't, does not necessarily knock you out of it. I do think if you prepare well enough you could take Alan on and train him up over the first three or four months, just like any other job.

Sam Allardyce:

Club management: Blackpool 1994-96, Notts County 1997-99, Bolton 1999-to date.
Bolton: P: 286. W: 119. L: 86. D: 81
Taylor: There is a perception that Sam is a big old-fashioned centre-half who says what he feels - but Sam is very intelligent and knows what it's about.

If you look at the team of players he has got from all over - and here they are in Europe...

Steve McClaren:

Club management: Oxford (coach) 1992-95 Derby (coach) 1995-99, Man Utd (coach) 1999-01, Middlesbrough (manager) 2001-to date.
Boro record: P: 196. W: 75. L: 72. D: 49
Taylor: In five years at Middlesbrough he has taken them into Europe for the first time and won their first trophy. He also has the advantage over Sam and Alan that he has international tournament experience.

Being part of the present set-up (as assistant to Eriksson) has given him experience of European and World Championships and that is a big plus factor for Steve

Peter Taylor:

Club management: Southend 1993-95 Gillingham 1999-2000 Leicester 2000-2001 Brighton 2001-02 Hull 2002 - to date
Hull record: P: 150. W: 68. L: 43. D: 39
G Taylor:If Sven were to continue until 2008 one outsider could be Peter Taylor who has looked after the England Under 21s extremely successfully and is doing very well at Hull City.

Karl

Edited by - Karl on Oct 12 2005 10:37:45 PM
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Reggae Boyz Supporterz Club Forums © © 2000 Snitz Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000