Everything Reggae Boyz Forum
 Goal Project - Jamaica
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Karl

USA
914 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2005 :  08:08:26 AM  Show Profile  Visit Karl's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Goal Project on track, says Taylor
JFF, Munro & Dickenson Trust nearing agreement
Ian Burnett, Observer Sports Editor
Saturday, September 24, 2005

An aerial view of the property to house the admin block and dormitory at Munro College in St Elizabeth. (Photo: Bryan Cummings)

The Jamaica Football Federation (JFF) is on track to meet the deadline to begin construction on the first phase of the National Football Academy and Training Centre at Munro College in Malvern, St Elizabeth, Harold Taylor, the FIFA development officer for CONCACAF with responsibility for the Goal Programme, has revealed.

"I have said to the JFF, 'so far, you want to do this project at Munro, I have absolutely no problem with what you want to do'. I think it is a good idea, I think it will help to develop football in Jamaica and therefore I will give it my blessing and advise FIFA accordingly," Taylor told the media after wrapping up a brief two-day visit to the island yesterday.

Taylor and members of the Goal Project committee visited the site on Thursday and ended his visit with a meeting yesterday.

FIFA president Joseph "Sepp" Blatter, along with executives of the former JFF administration as well as government officials broke ground for the project in the heart of Portmore in November 2003.

However, the present administration, led by Crenston Boxhill, decided against that location for a number of reasons, including what it said was distractions that it would bring to players.

But while the JFF administrators shopped around for a new location, the project stalled and FIFA reminded the federation of its policy of reclaiming projects if they are not started within 18 months.

That deadline is November 7, 2005 and according to Boxhill, his administration "was always working" with that date "as the deadline to get things in place", and he is confident that the project will be a reality.

"We are very close, we know what we need to do, we have been working behind the scenes all this time, and we are very close to signing the lease," said Boxhill. "We have met, probably close, if not all the requirements asked of us. I can't give you a start up date, but I am quite confident we will make the deadline."

The plan is for the lease to be a minimum of 49 years.
Boxhill also explained that the negotiations include "two separate properties".

"The property that is going to be used for accommodation, administration, etc is going to be owned by the Federation. The property where the fields are going to be, and the training facility, is going to be leased from the Munro & Dickenson Trust," he added.

The two properties are within five minutes walking distance from each other and are separated by a road.
The facility is expected to house five fields, including a top-class fenced field with seating to accommodate 4,000 in the first place, as well as an all purpose field.

The plans also include changing facilities for four teams and officials, a catchment area (pond) to store "grey water" used by the 800 students for irrigation purposes, including the school's fields.

A dormitory will be erected and will house 40 players plus technical staff, administrative manager, an admin block, a gymnasium, medical facility, boardroom, learning facility with computers.

"It is a very ambitious project, but with the assistance of the FIFA, plus the excitement it (the project) has generated among corporate Jamaica, it is very encouraging," Boxhill said.

"On completion, what it will do for the development of our youth, it is second to none, especially for football... it will probably be the greatest achievement in football, also for this administration."

Taylor, too, was upbeat as he reassured the media yesterday. Said he: "This is why I am here. You have a deadline of November 7, but FIFA doesn't wait until November 7 to take decisions, they are going to decide by October 7, so I am here now so that before October 7 I can advise FIFA that things are moving in Jamaica...

"The thing is in the JFF's hands now. I came here yesterday (Thursday) I saw what they want to do. This morning we had a meeting, they know what they have to get to get the things going. They have a consultant already, I say to them put out tenders to do the contract, that shouldn't take too long. The day they close the tenders I will come back, we will open them and we will decide who should get it and with that I think we would start right away."

The Goal Project is a US$400,000 FIFA grant to help construct a National Football Academy and Training Centre.

When ground was first broken in 2003, Jamaica was the 22nd country in the region and the 161st in the world to benefit from the Goal Programme.

Karl

Edited by - Karl on Sep 24 2005 3:13:09 PM

Karl

USA
914 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2006 :  08:41:15 AM  Show Profile  Visit Karl's Homepage  Reply with Quote
World governing body threatens to cancel JFF's Goal Project funds
JFF CONGRESS... FIFA SHOCKER!
BY SEAN A WILLIAMS Observer staff reporter
Saturday, January 14, 2006

The Jamaica Football Federation (JFF) president Crenston Boxhill yesterday expressed shock and disbelief at a scathing letter from the world governing body FIFA, threatening to cancel funds for the proposed Goal project.

The letter, received yesterday and signed by FIFA general secretary Urs Linsi, outlined a series of concerns with the project, ranging from the proposed development site located in Malvern, St Elizabeth to the actual development plans for the National Football Academy and Training Centre.

Also, the stinging letter that came two days before the JFF's annual congress set for tomorrow morning in St Elizabeth, gave the JFF five working days on its receipt to provide "legal, relevant and complete information" with regard to the project or the "FIFA-funded Goal Project will be cancelled".

Boxhill... denied having received any of these so-called warning letters

It also stated that the JFF was informed that if "new project details were not available for FIFA's consideration before February 2006, before the Goal Bureau meeting in Zurich, FIFA would withdraw its funding and support for the facility project".

Boxhill, who is in his third year at the helm of the JFF after his defeated Captain Horace Burrell at the polls in 2003, said he was taken aback by the biting correspondence.

"When I read this letter I felt disappointment because we have been working with the FIFA development officer (Harold Taylor); all along we have been meeting the deadlines according to plans and we have been told that we are on track, so when I get a letter like this from the top, I was surprised and disappointed," Boxhill told Sporting World yesterday.

The FIFA development officer for CONCACAF with special responsibility for the Goal Project, Taylor said yesterday he does not believe it's "doom and gloom" for Jamaica, who received the grant and broke ground for the project at the original site in Portmore in November 2003.

"I don't see it as a doom and gloom thing, all the JFF needs to do is explain the concerns raised in the letter. Some people are giving the impression that the project is doomed, I don't think so," said Taylor.

"I believe that whatever is in that letter, they (JFF) can explain. I believe that they can answer them. My only concern is that on Sunday (tomorrow) they have their annual congress, so they need to deal with that then they deal with that letter," he added.

In one paragraph of the letter, it gave the impression that the JFF is planning to set up villas on the Munro lands rather than a technical centre "for the benefit of boys, girls, men and women footballers".

"When I look at the letter the second to last paragraph gives the impression that they are not planning a technical centre but to set up some villas, so Jamaica has to explain to FIFA what this is all about," Taylor noted.

Part of the plan, as he understands it, is that villas existing on the land will be renovated to be used to accommodate players in camp. "There are some villas on the property that could be renovated and be used for dormitories for the players, and the fields at Munro College nearby could be used for training and they could go on and build other fields, gym, etc," he explains.
Last September when he was in Jamaica on a two-day visit, Taylor endorsed the JFF's plans for the site and maintains that support.

"I feel it is a good site for the project as it is out in the country. I do believe if you get a technical centre away from the maddening crowds, away from the city, I think people would be better able to concentrate on what they are doing," he said.

And it was for that reason that the current administration changed sites from the original one in busy Portmore to the quiet hills of Malvern in St Elizabeth.
Another bone of contention in the letter is that FIFA is concerned that phase two of the development on a portion of the Munro lands cannot be purchased but is available on lease by the Munro/Dickenson Trust.

"Adjacent lands at Munro, which cannot be purchased by the JFF, actual football fields shall be leased instead of purchased, thus the purpose of a JFF-owned technical centre and football facility is rendered impossible," said the FIFA letter.

What the letter is claiming is that FIFA Goal Project money will not be spent on developments on leased lands, but Taylor expressed surprise at this point.

"I am not aware of that because I thought we could use leased lands, I know of other projects that are on lands leased from the government for up to 99 years... and from my understanding, the land in Portmore for the original site was a lease from the government... so all of this is very surprising to me," he said by telephone from Trinidad yesterday.

The letter also claims that the JFF is yet to present proper documentation to FIFA and that the Jamaicans have ignored a number of "warning letters" to this effect.

"I am not aware of any of these warning letters. I certainly have not sent Jamaica any warning letter. And that's not my function any way, that would have to come from FIFA," said Taylor.
Boxhill, too, denied having received any of these so-called warning letters. "We have not had any correspondence of warning from them (FIFA)...," he said.

Yesterday Boxhill said his team had already began preparing a response to the FIFA correspondence.

There were also concerns last night about an apparent trend regarding the timing of FIFA's letter, only two days ahead of a JFF congress. It was pointed out that a week before the 2003 JFF Congress, FIFA boss Sepp Blatter broke ground for the Training Centre, and last February on the eve of another congress, FIFA issued a letter threatening the JFF not to sell the building housing its offices.

But in concluding, Taylor said he believed that this letter from FIFA originated out of what "I believe is that somehow some wrong information went out and what we have to do is to respond..."

"I believe that they (JFF) can give a legal and very strong answer to it, so I am not too worried about that letter," he added.
The Goal Project is a US$400,000 FIFA grant to help countries to construct a National Football Academy and Training Centre.

When ground was broken back in 2003 by FIFA president Joseph 'Sepp' Blatter at the Portmore site, Jamaica became the 22nd country in the region and the 161st in the world to benefit from the Goal Programme.

Below is the full text of the letter from the FIFA:

The Portmore Technical Centre - Final Warning

Dear President,
In November 2003, the FIFA President, accompanied by a delegation, visited Jamaica at the occasion of the ground-breaking of the JFF Portmore Technical Centre. The official event was also attended by Jamaican personalities, including the Acting Prime Minister at the time, the Rt Hon Portia Simpson Miller.

Eighteen months later, the FIFA Development Office sent a warning to the (new) JFF executive, including its president, advising the body that FIFA would withdraw its funding for the Technical centre as no construction nor any further developments had taken place since the ground-breaking ceremony.

The JFF responded in the autumn of 2005 - some 20 months after the original ceremony - that an alternative site and Centre were being considered. A member of the FIFA Development Office was advised by the JFF towards the end of 2005 at a meeting in St Kitts that a new site had been identified in the parish of Manchester and that a project description would follow shortly.

The JFF informed that, if the new project details were not available for FIFA's consideration before the February 2006 Goal Bureau meeting in Zurich, FIFA would withdraw its funding and support for the "new" Technical Facility project.

To this day, FIFA have not been formally advised and are not in possession of relevant and pertinent information about the alternate site, other than through statements that were made in the regional press by Mr Harold Taylor.

This situation has become perfectly unacceptable and FIFA will not be standing idly by any further.

It is bad enough that the FIFA president was misled - and through that FIFA as a body - when he went to attend the ground-breaking ceremony in Jamaica in November of 2003. More than two years later, the only (unofficial) information available to FIFA and the Goal Bureau is based on FIFA's own research and some media reports.

This type of conduct cannot be tolerated and shall not be.
Particularly since FIFA is now led to believe that the JFF does not now pursue the construction of a Technical Centre for the benefit of boys, girls, men and women footballers of Jamaica but that instead a villas project - for which FIFA funding appears to be required with urgency - has been earmarked by the JFF executive for acquisition.

What is more disturbing in the context, is that on adjacent land, which cannot be purchased by the JFF and is land of the Munro and Dickenson Trust, the actual football fields shall be leased instead of purchased. Thus, the entire purpose of a JFF-owned technical centre and football facility is rendered impossible.

It seems reasonably irrelevant to the football community to acquire housing, no matter how elegant, if the true purpose of the Goal Stage Two project, namely the purchase, construction and operation of a technical centre with - above all - football facilities, is not guaranteed. A lease of land can never replace the ownership of land in our opinion.

Therefore, and because inexplicably FIFA are still not in possession of any proper documentation whatsoever - despite written warning - we demand to receive detailed, legally relevant and complete information within five working days of receipt of this letter or the FIFA-funded Jamaica Goal Project will be cancelled.

Yours sincerely,
FIFA
Urs Linsi
General Secretary

Karl
Go to Top of Page

Karl

USA
914 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2006 :  08:42:38 AM  Show Profile  Visit Karl's Homepage  Reply with Quote

Jamaica Football Federation (JFF) to move ahead with Goal Project
published: Wednesday | January 18, 2006

Howard Walker, Staff Reporter

DESPITE A threat from Federation International Football Association (FIFA) - the sport's world governing body - of cancelling funds for the Goal Project, the Jamaica Football Federation (JFF) is continuing full steam ahead with plans to set up the National Academy at Munro College in St. Elizabeth.

A deposit of $2.6m has been made by the JFF on three acres of partially completed buildings known as Munro Villas in St. Elizabeth, valued at $22m, as construction is scheduled to start in April.

"The requisite deposit has been made of $2.6m," Carvel Stewart, chairman of the Goal Project told The Gleaner. "We are hoping that the Phase I can be completed by the end of this year."

Currently, Stewart says a request for Expression of Interest is being sought from contractors, and construction is expected to start early in April.

PHASE I

The Munro Villas will house the Technical Centre (academy) which is Phase I of the FIFA Goal Project. It comprises the completion of four blocks of dormitory structures, lecture/teaching area, gymnasium, administrative building and a manager's residence.

The FIFA, through its general secretary Urs Unsi, in a stinging letter to the JFF on Friday, January 13, said the JFF was not pursuing the construction of a Technical Centre for the benefit of the footballers but instead a villa project.

Unsi continued: "What is more disturbing in the contract is that an adjacent land, which cannot be purchased by the JFF and is land of the Munro and Dickenson Trust, the actual football fields, shall be leased and not purchased. Thus the entire purpose of a JFF-owned Technical Centre and football facility is rendered impossible."

FIFA had given the JFF five working days to respond but Burchell Gibson, the JFF general secretary, told The Gleaner yesterday that his organisation had already addressed FIFA's concerns.

"We have already done that. Based on the letter we have replied," said Gibson.

He then played down FIFA's concerns about the leasing of land at Munro College, saying the original location that FIFA approved in Portmore was also on leased land.

"We were not aware of any lease land concerns because the Portmore facility was going to be on lease land for 50 years. So I pointed that out."

The Munro and Dickenson Trust has offered to make 22 acres available on long term lease to the JFF. It's chairman Bryan Morgan has indicated that the lease would be finalised on commencement of the Phase I works.

But Stewart was unable to say how long the JFF will be able to lease the land for.

"I couldn't say now because we are in the process of negotiating."

Gibson then reiterated that the the Technical Centre will be owned by the JFF but Phase II, including the playing fields, will be on leased land.

The FIFA offered Jamaica US$800,000 towards the Goal Project in 2003 to be split in half for both Phases I and II. Then in November, Sepp Blatter, FIFA president, visited Jamaica during the ground-breaking ceremony, which took place at Portmore.

Since then, there has been a change of football administration and thus the new site at Munro.

The FIFA claims it has not been officially informed of the change, only by following reports in the media. However, Stewart says they've started working and won't stall.

"I cannot stop because of that letter, because we don't have any instruction to stop," he said. "I have to keep working until somebody says stop."

He also said the Goal Project will cost more than the money offered by FIFA.

"The amount of US$800,000 cannot do all we want to do. We will get what we can with it, then we will see if local support can enhance it. But if it were to go (FIFA funding), we will see if local support can give us the first phase."

Stewart added: "We can't stop the growth and development of the sport. We have to keep working. If they even do that (withdraw funds), isn't it obvious that it is a political ploy?" Stewart asked.

However, Stewart is very optimistic that the project will be completed one way or the other.

"Talks with the local sponsors are looking very encouraging."

The construction of Phase II will include four full-sized football fields and a building which will accommodate changing, referees' rooms, equipment storage and presentation area.

One of the fields will be constructed to the highest international standard with provisions being made for lighting.

A seating capacity of 5,000 is to be provided as wells as fencing to enable the staging of important matches.

Karl
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Reggae Boyz Supporterz Club Forums © © 2000 Snitz Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000