Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sound system culture is still alive in Jamaica

But industry insiders say it is a lot more vibrant overseas

Since the 1950s, sound systems have been an integral part of the Jamaican landscape. But in recent times, there have been concerns that the culture in Jamaica is not as vibrant as it used to be. The latter has even led to questions about whether the local sound system culture is operating on life support or has taken a back burner to that which exists in other parts of the world.

Culture migrating

“I remember Reggae Sunsplash used to have sound night where all six to 10 sound used to set up, and dem just play. We don’t have that here anymore. People trying it, but it’s still not where it should be. When I go to some places in Europe, the culture is alive and doing well. I went to Coachella and I saw sound systems set up in every tent. Our culture has gone somewhere else.”

“What we need to do is find a way to make our thing attractive again so that tourists can come to us again,” said Thomas.

“We need more planning and more pushing of particular events so that we can actually appreciate the culture.

http://jamaica-gleaner.com/article/e...ers-say-it-lot
    Hey .. look at the bright side .... at least you're not a Liverpool fan! - Lazie 2/24/10 Paul Marin -19 is one thing, 20 is a whole other matter. It gets even worse if they win the UCL. *groan*. 05/18/2011.MU fans naah cough, but all a unuh a vomit?-Lazie 1/11/2015

Sound system culture booming in Japan

Sound system culture finds itself quieted in the Corporate Area, but the boxes are booming loud and proud on the other side of the world. Local players, like The Gleaner Entertainment Forum panellists Big Ship captain Freddie McGregor, Delano Thomas (Renaissance Disco) and David Harper (Killamanjaro), recognise the culture’s international pervasiveness. Their observation comes with worry that while the culture’s significant contributions to their music industry at large is taken for granted at home, ownership will be up for grabs by those who respect it, and try with all their might to perfect it – like Japan.

One of the last festivals he attended was promoted by a member of clash-winning Japanese sound system, Mighty Crown. The festival was in Yokohama with an audience of 40,000 people. His son, Chino, had an album out and they decided to do some promotion in Japan. After some convincing, McGregor agreed to use a local Japanese band called Home Grown. “The only problem there was we wanted them to not play it just like the record. Dem man deh have the ting down to the beats per minute. And dem ah play the same sound weh it record wid. I had to just laugh.”

http://jamaica-gleaner.com/article/e...-booming-japan
    Hey .. look at the bright side .... at least you're not a Liverpool fan! - Lazie 2/24/10 Paul Marin -19 is one thing, 20 is a whole other matter. It gets even worse if they win the UCL. *groan*. 05/18/2011.MU fans naah cough, but all a unuh a vomit?-Lazie 1/11/2015

Comment

Siri, can you play a dubplate? - Sound system experts say ‘specials’ still integral even as technology makes its stamp

Dubplates and specials are integral to the sound system culture, and in a space where there is an overwhelming number of sounds, specials are used to distinguish the various players in the business. David Harper of Killamanjaro stated at a recent Gleaner Entertainment Forum that dubplates found fame in the energetic clash arena.

‘Easy as a download’
      “Basically, now, you can just download a song and play it, but before, you couldn’t. If that sound play a song on a dubplate or special or acetate, or whatever, you coulda say, ‘if you play da song yah now, mi pack up and leave’.

Nobody can’t say that again. I can download it right away and I can remix something at that same clash and play it same time,” Delano Thomas of Renaissance Disco said.

He related the story of a guy in Germany at a recent sound clash who programmed Siri to sound like the captain of the ship and “mash up the dance”. Siri won the clash.

http://jamaica-gleaner.com/article/e...specials-still

Comment

Article is poor. The sound system is different from the Disk Jock business. they are people in Jamaica 19 / 20 who have never heard a proper sound system. They have heard PA system with two powered speakers masquerading as sound systems but thats not a sound system. The majority of them are idle or dismantled because there is no where to play. If you think I am making this up list 10 active sound system in Jamaica.. When was the last time Renaissance actually move their sound.. not walk with there laptop... as the maverick would say ... .Joke

Comment

sound system

Article is poor. The sound system is different from the Disk Jock business. they are people in Jamaica 19 / 20 who have never heard a proper sound system. They have heard PA system with two powered speakers masquerading as sound systems but thats not a sound system. The majority of them are idle or dismantled because there is no where to play. If you think I am making this up list 10 active sound system in Jamaica.. When was the last time Renaissance actually move their sound.. not walk with there laptop... as the maverick would say ... .Joke

Comment

The technology has advanced where the need for the physical sound and turntable apparatus are no longer necessary to sound like those of the past. However, the sound systems operations are still there. Maybe not as many as before, but Delano still operates Renaissance as a company that hires DJ's. So you book Renaissance Disco for a gig and you get his crew. Same thing with Kilamanjaro, Stone Love and others.

Comment

Not true. That is my point. We are not talking about DJing .. we are talking about sound Systems. There is a difference.. The majority of ss are idled becaue of the noise abatement act. We have gotten to what I call good enough so we get two powered boxes and a Deck and we say that is a sound system but it is not. That is why I said most of us do not know a proper sound system. Nothing to do with technology, boxes are still boxes, powered or not. Turntables , CD Deck or laptop or any controller does not change , that is just the media... But the idea of a sound system , (Sub, Low Mid High Mid and Tweeter) is fading..

Comment

inevitable evolution

Comment

Working...
                X