No announcement yet.

AIRBNB Debate heats up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If the government is thinking of taxing the indivdual ,it is on the table ! The official policy of Air BNB does stop the government from imposing its will on adding further taxes through whatever means.I provided a link on how its done in NJ and NY,by a sales tax.

Again ,Man can suh fool,Yuh still inna yuh conspiracy theories...lol
    THERE IS ONLY ONE ONANDI LOWE!

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.

Comment

Originally posted by Sir X View Post
      If the government is thinking of taxing the individual ,it is on the table !
      christ almighty...you have the intellect of a 5 year old...did you miss the part that clearly stated that the GOJ has no intention of taxing individuals who offer rooms on AIRBNB? the company itself (AIRBNB) will have to pay a levy to operate in Jamaica...that will have no financial impact on individuals who have rooms for offer...JTB & AIRBNB have formed a partnership...the levy is to cover costs by JTB associated with monitoring the properties with regard to safety & quality control...AIRBNB gets expanded reach & will see increased revenue...JTB gets access to AIRBNB data so they can plan more efficiently...i know logic isn't your strong suit but this is a win win situation for all involved...

Comment

LOL!!!!.

Bartlett pretty much say that in an article. What they don't realize is the government needs to monitor properties and control and provide safety and attraction for these properties to make sure they are of standards. As said the government have to get something back to provide this. As you said a levy is paid off the top, so it is hidden. It would be harder for government to collect from individuals.
        • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Reading is overrated. I did not see where they said the tax was against AirBnB the company and not the individual. A $1 tax not hurting anyone when the hotels pay a $4 Accommodation tax. Really just a storm in a teacup. Tax them.

JHTA: Airbnb not just a small man’s hustle

The JHTA is suggesting a US$1.00 per night cess under the ‘Guest Accommodation Room Tax’ (GART) from the shared-economy operators when their places are occupied. Currently, the accommodation sector is required to pay US$4.00 per night under the GART.

http://jamaica-gleaner.com/article/l...ll-mans-hustle
          Hey .. look at the bright side .... at least you're not a Liverpool fan! - Lazie 2/24/10 Paul Marin -19 is one thing, 20 is a whole other matter. It gets even worse if they win the UCL. *groan*. 05/18/2011.MU fans naah cough, but all a unuh a vomit?-Lazie 1/11/2015

Comment

Sorry there was an additional article which I am sure X saw but didn't say anything.

https://mckoysnews.com/no-tax-on-air...ster-bartlett/

I am sure we are close on this thing where we don't want Air B&B hurt.
            • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

In May of this year, Minister of Tourism Ed Bartlett was reported as saying, “We are not going after direct taxation to impact the hosts, who are, by and large, the small entrepreneurs of our country who are making the inclusiveness of tourism something real, but rather, we are looking at a broader picture to see how Airbnb itself can partner with Jamaica to provide the necessary resource support for the many projects we have, particularly in destination-assurance strategies which are being developed.”
              the news article mislead you & a whole lot of others...that's why you need to employ critical reading...the JHTA makes a recommendation and then everybody jumps to condemn the GOJ/JTB for something the JHTA said...JHTA is a private organisation looking out for its members interests...GOJ/JTB has been clear as far back as 2017 that they would be partnering with AIRBNB & as part of that partnership a fee will be charged to AIRBNB the company to do business in Jamaica...this is all a means to distract the public...& you all fell for it...

Comment

Is is unthinkable for the government to implement the recommendation or come up with its own form of taxation,seeing that its a conspiracy....lol ?

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.

Comment

Originally posted by Bricktop View Post
                  christ almighty...you have the intellect of a 5 year old...did you miss the part that clearly stated that the GOJ has no intention of taxing individuals who offer rooms on AIRBNB? the company itself (AIRBNB) will have to pay a levy to operate in Jamaica...that will have no financial impact on individuals who have rooms for offer...JTB & AIRBNB have formed a partnership...the levy is to cover costs by JTB associated with monitoring the properties with regard to safety & quality control...AIRBNB gets expanded reach & will see increased revenue...JTB gets access to AIRBNB data so they can plan more efficiently...i know logic isn't your strong suit but this is a win win situation for all involved...
                  The GOJ did the right thing by not taxing the individual operators against the behest of the big hoteliers but between you and me, isn't charging AB and B a levy is to be seen as a disingenuous move by the GOJ to tax the individual operators without publicly saying so. So you charge AB and B for doing business in Ja, they pass the charge on to the individual operators who pass it on to the visitor. Isn't that deceptive?.
                  Disgraceful!!.

Comment

Originally posted by Assasin View Post
                    It is only fair if other lodging such as hotels are paying taxes and Air B&b need other resources for them to pay some taxes. You can't kill them but it provide more money for resources. they will only pay if they are occupied.
                    You can't kill them but you tax them when they are creeping long before they start to walk?. Taxes can be retrogressive too you know.

Comment

ay dios mio...first of all we don't know if AIRBNB will be passing the cost along...secondly, if the individual operator or the visitor is willing to pay the extra charge then that determines the market rate...if they don't want to pay it they can advertise their property elsewhere or go and stay at a non AIRBNB accommodation & AIRBNB will go out of business...it's called a free market economy...the law of supply and demand is the regulator...neat concept isn't it comrade?

Comment

That's what they do in the States,pass it on as a sales tax.I gave you the link and of course you didnt click it.

Comment

Everybody want service but no tax. Air B&B have to be regulated and make sure basic standards are kept. Charging a small Levy is ok. I think this was published as part of the agreement.

It is the best way to go. You want to make sure the guest house are in order and the government know the addresses of these houses etc. That service cost something.

Comment

yes...and you disagree with the sales tax...so what's your point?

Comment

Boss the man ask a question,I put in my two cents with some information is it a crime or conspiracy?..lol

Comment

you disagreed with an individual tax for AIRBNB in Jamaica...then you advocated for a sales tax (individual tax) like they have in the USA...you're even confusing yourself

Comment

Working...
                                X