Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• High jumper turns down Ivy League school

http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/sport...o-thanks_72908
    Solidarity is not a matter of well wishing, but is sharing the very same fate whether in victory or in death.
    Che Guevara.

Big mistake! Is she that good as a high jumper to make a decent living from that field?

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Agree Mo.

Especially since the SAT score is only good, not spectacular (below 75%)...
      In 2016, the perfect score reverts to 1,600 like in our time. It was 2,400 in more recent days.

SAT / ACT Prep Online Guides and Tips

What Is a Good SAT Score? A Bad SAT Score? An Excellent SAT Score?

Posted by Dr. Fred Zhang | Jan 30, 2016 11:00:00 AM

SAT/ACT Score Target

Excellent-Good-Bad-SAT-score-range

What is a good SAT score? You took the SAT, got your scores back, and now you want to know how you did. Or maybe you just want to know what score to aim for next time. Here we answer that question for you quickly, and then dive in carefully to explain the answer.Importantly, we also give you a step-by-step guide to figuring out what SAT score YOU need, depending on the colleges you want to apply to.

Note: the Old SAT was scored on the 2400 scale, but the New SAT is scored on the 1600 scale. Because most colleges will accept scores from both SATs for the Class of 2017, we'll cover both tests here.

What's a Good SAT Score, Compared to the Entire Country?

The short answer: for the New SAT (out of 1600), 1000 is considered an average score. Roughly half the students score higher than this threshold and the other half score below it.

For the Old SAT (out of 2400), 1500 is the national average score.

The top 25% of SAT takers score about 1200 or more (or 1800 on the Old SAT); if your New SAT score is above 1200, then that's quite good. Whether this is good enough to get into the colleges you care about is what we'll cover next.

The bottom 25% of SAT takers score 840 (or 1260 on the Old SAT); if you're scoring in that range, be careful! It may be hard for you to get into the college you want to attend.

Again, to reiterate:

New SAT (of 1600) Old SAT (of 2400)
      Excellent (top 25%) 1200 1800
      Good (Average) 1000 1500
      Poor (lowest 25%) 840 1260

Here is the precise chart of percentiles, provided by the College Board.

The round number 1000 is not a coincidence. The SAT makers actually design the test so the overall average score is 1000, and the average score per section is 500.

Remember, the lowest you can score on the SAT is 400, and the highest you can score is 1600.

But wait - this is just the national average. Is the entire US population the exact right basis for finding what a good SAT score is? What if you're not an average American, but a football star, or an international student? Don't you want to define what a good SAT score is based on your personal potential?

If you agree, then you should read our guide to Defining what a Good SAT Score. We cover four different ways of defining what a good SAT score is.

One popular defintiion of a good SAT score must depend on what college you're aiming for. What you really care about is how good your SAT score is compared to the average score of students at schools that you're planning to apply to. If you don't get a score above your target score, you may find it hard to get into the colleges you're looking for.

Keep reading for our step-by-step guide to figuring out what a good SAT score for YOU is, in just 10 minutes.
      Last edited by Willi; September 6, 2016, 10:46 AM.

Comment

story is fishy.

Ivy League schools don't give sports scholarships and the SAT score is way too low for Stanford at 75%.

Comment

Did you read the article Mosiah? I doubt that you did before you posted this response
          Solidarity is not a matter of well wishing, but is sharing the very same fate whether in victory or in death.
          Che Guevara.

Comment

I read it twice.

Is this the part you think I missed?:

Also, she told the Observer that the offers from both Penn and Stanford did not “spell out in details what the scholarships offered. Tthe FSU offer was different, they told me exactly what they were offering me and I knew exactly what was on the table.”

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

It doesn't sound like she is necessarily interested in a professional track and field career. She just was more comforable going to FSU.

Not the choice one would expect but some thought seems to have gone into making the decision.
              "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

Thank you sir move to the head of the class, also tell the clown who is talking about sports scholarship that that was never mentioned in the article, Ivy League offer academic scholarships to many athletes and some like Penn, Yale and Harvard are making exemptions for those who score less than perfection in the SATs and offering them places in their institutions
                Che Guevara.

Comment

I just think that if you have a chance at an Ivy League, it may make some sense to take it. Of course, there are a hundred reasons why not everyone will do it, but I think there should be more reasons why most will.

Like you said, some thought may have gone into the decision, but was it as informed as it could have been?

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

I heard the story of her turning down the Penn offer last year while at Penn Relays and had planned to write the story but it never worked out for one reason or the other and a few months ago while reading the new Malcolm Gladwell book, it came back to me and I decided to revisit it.

Had it been my child I would seriously encourage her to take up the Stanford offer, better sports, better mentorship program, better weather..but she says she doe s not want to go so far.

Gladwell does make some salient points thought and not every bright high school student make the cut in Ivy League....not so sure about FSU though, maybe UM.
                    Che Guevara.

Comment

Agreed! One does not wave off an Ivy League or second tier (Stanford, MIT) offer lightly. But certainly, not choosing to attend one does not necessarily mean one is fool-fool.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Originally posted by Mosiah View Post
                        I just think that if you have a chance at an Ivy League, it may make some sense to take it. Of course, there are a hundred reasons why not everyone will do it, but I think there should be more reasons why most will.

Like you said, some thought may have gone into the decision, but was it as informed as it could have been?
                        'Understanding the education system' may have something to do with her choice? ...not saying that is the alpha and omega. ...but I am thinking some persons may draw the parallel that '1 + 1 = 2' a concept easily relatable may be misleading when applied here. Someone could graduate with honours at one institution and have less knowledge in the particularsubject area than someone graduating in the same year from another institution with a mere pass. The depth of teaching instruction...exploration of the area of discipline at the institutions being not equal.

To have a rueful laugh: A graduate on football - a star balla, in Jamaica may not necessarily be of equal ability as a failed student from the Southampton football academy ....and thus.... (Disclaimer: Not saying that had a part in the decision by the student-athlete!)
                        "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

You forgot to mention TEAM
                          Che Guevara.

Comment

We are AGREEING? Where did I go wrong? Darn
                            Che Guevara.

Comment

Cost could have been a comsideration ... If her SAT is low keeping an academic scholarship can be a problem.

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Working...
                              X