X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Air BNB war in NY

https://www.wsj.com/articles/new-yor...als-1541944153
    THERE IS ONLY ONE ONANDI LOWE!

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.

This is happening all over. I believe thei is a proposal in Toronto that limits a AB&B to your immediate dwelling. The issue is two fold , one taking inventory out of long term rental market. And secondly a shadow hotel market.

Comment

More than that , realtors are bitching they are loosing part of the rental market ,developers are bitching they want to build exclusively for short term rental needs.Private investors want the freedom to rent to short term renters in any enviroment.

The market dictates that it follows the money and that is short term rental. Its a war out there.

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.

Comment

Yes but we can’t let the market dictate.. if developers want short term rentals there is a name for that .. go build hotels and pay the required taxes.. you have nailed the issue.

Comment

For a third world nation like Jamaica where that new industry and much needed forgein exchange is a matter of life and debt good luck with that.

Its terrible for long term rentals in any market.I dont see a solution in the third world.NY and other modern cities can regulate it ,we cant for obvious financial reasons.

Wi bruk, wi need the money.

Comment

It’s funny you say that and I agree with you . Here in the first world I understand why the government are clamping down while I see it differently in Jamaica but technically you could argue that we have a long term housing problem too but no one expect you to rent your villa or house to poor people. Ironic isn’t it. But Jamaica Will license Air B an B

Comment

It's not technically,it's a reality about the housing problem,long before Airbnb landlords were fighting subsidized housing programs( kicking them out or refusing to rent to them ) to jack up rent.

Now it's worse with Airbnb.Jamaica's housing problem has been a problem since independence.

The market talk$$$$! Government will forever be behind the curve.

Comment

So should we force ABnB to be only your primary residence in Jamaica?

Comment

A country like JA in need of forgein exchange would be shooting itself in the foot to force anything with this new source of revenue.

A compromise would have to be met and we don't have the resources to manage any compromise.If NY can't do it,long before Airbnb ( the rental market and subsidized housing rents being jacked up).All Airbnb is saying to us is we have a new problem to aggravate the old.

How is Jamaica going to force anything.

Comment

ha ha. you a talk now.

First thing in Jamaica is NHT have to step up. Stop using the money to pay IMF and others from NHT. Become a try housing provider. Others have to step and government have to decide on all these squatters living in Jamaica. Let us see how it work out in the long term.
                    • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

You are under estimating Jamaica. Ed Bartlett already announced a MOU with ABnB tobtax booming off the top so we are actually smarter than you gives us credit for.

Comment

when it did a happen X nuh say Barlett behind the time and no have no idea.
                        • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Wrong ,I said you are an idiot! How does filling the nation coffers with a tax solve the housing crisis.

Barlett is proving me right, Government is glad for this new found revenue.

I didn't know he was the minister of housing.

Comment

You see X is not a dumb guy .. he just picks the weakest side of the argument. I find it fascinating that he is saying it’s not an housing issue but in big cities San Francisco, Toronto and I guess new York it is and ironically that what drawn the eyes and wrath of the authorities. I think most politicians would ignore the complaints of the hoteliers but when their are few housing stock in a big city that’s a problem. I think in JA is more of an hotel problem I don’t think they have made that connection simply as you would not expect to buy a condo or guest house in ironstone and tent it out to any and anyone.

Comment

In Kingston is it is housing problem for the upper middle class who may buy a condo or secure private living. It can be in places like Havendale, Red hills etc. as well.

Comment

Working...
                              X