Perspective

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Perspective

Since Mourinho’s arrival to the Premier League, he has embraced the role of the villain through his cockiness and his divisiveness. He was the most hated football manager throughout the Alex Ferguson era and to a lesser extent into the Wenger final years, and today he still holds that ignoble title. His critics hate him out of jealousy, because he came into the league with his cockiness and then backed it up by winning titles and they hate him because he causes divisions and is very quick to throw his players, his club and everybody else under the bus when things start to go wrong. However, despite his many despicable character flaws, there is one constant and undeniable positive fact about him, Mourinho knows how to win titles. Give him the money, the time and the freedom to control things, then he will build a team that will win the club titles. That was the reason he was brought to Manchester United.

Now, it goes without saying that a club of Manchester United’s history, size and financial clout should not only be winning domestic titles and trophies, but should also be considered a serious annual threat for the UEFA Champions League trophy, competing with the likes of Barcelona, Real Madrid and Bayern Munich. Sadly, today, we are not, and have not been in that position since the retirement of Sir Alex Ferguson.

Everyday I am in a constant debate with my fellow Empire fans and also with the critics, the haters and the simpletons like X because I defend Mourinho. One of my biggest opponent is a fellow fan who makes the valid point that Mourinho is responsible for how the team plays on the field. However I may think I understand Mourinho’s reasoning for his tactics, I have to concede to that argument. My debates get heated because for me, I am looking beyond the team’s weekly poor performances and towards the general improvement of the team and how much closer are we towards winning major trophies. Everybody here knows that I lay the blame of our current malaise at the feet of our Executive Vice-Chairman, Ed Woodward for his many missteps since taking over the position and mainly for abandoning Mourinho in the last transfer window this past summer. Some are saying that Mourinho should have gotten rid of the fringe players and gotten more players in this summer. However, that is supporting my exact argument. Mourinho gave Ed Woodward his list of preferred transfer targets from around February. A sensible coach cannot get rid of players unless he’s getting replacement players. Duh!!! Imagine if he had let Darmian go in the summer given the state of our current list of injured defenders. Right now we basically have Ashley Young, Phil Calamity Jones and Eric Bailley who are not on the injured list - 3 fit defenders on the roster out of 10 .

My main line of defense of Mourinho has to do with the quality of the squad that he inherited and how it compared with the other top teams around him. He came to the club in the summer of 2016, the same time as Pep Guardiola and Antonio Conte. The managers took over with each respective clubs finishing the season in 5th, 4th and 10th positions. Since 2016, the EPL champions have been Chelsea and Manchester City. So how did the three squads compare in the summer of 2016 and what did the 3 managers do going into the new season?

Mourinho inherited a squad of 39 players. He cut that down to 33 by either selling or loaning out 16 players while bringing in 4. He also promoted 7 youth players to the first team squad. The team finished the season in 6th position but won the Europa Cup to automatically qualify for the following year Champions League competition.

Antonio Conte inherited a squad of 30 players that were there during Mourinho’s time at the club. He cut the squad down to 24 players by buying 5 players and selling (mostly loaned out players) or loaning out 9 players. Of the 5 players that he bought, 4 of them had an impact on the existing core of players. Chelsea won the league and N’Golo Kante was named their Player of The Season.

Pep Guardiola inherited a squad of 34 players. He cut the number to 28. Players were either sold, loaned out or their contracts were terminated. Pep sold 2 players and loaned out 2. To start that season, Pep bought 9 players for £180m. Of those 9 players, only 3 have been a hit at a cost of £132m. Pep’s fabled reputation of developing youth players and giving them a chance has not materialized since arriving at Manchester City. Mourinho has played more youth and has given three times more playing time to these players than Pep. To date, Pep has won two trophies since his arrival, and his team is playing the most attractive football maybe in Europe, and looks to be on its way to reclaiming their title.

Chelsea has changed 3 managers since Mourinho left and has won one major trophy using a team of Mourinho’s players and today still has 7 in their first team. Pep to date has bought 22 players and sold 21 which, by all indications, means that he changed out his squad in the space of 2 years spending about £600m. To date, Mourinho has bought 10 players while selling a whopping…. 10 players. He has so far spent approximately £450m on his purchases.

The season is almost halfway through with Manchester United sitting in 6th position, 8 points off 4th place and through to the next round of the Champions League. Mourinho delivers titles.

Jangle
    Last edited by Jangle; December 14, 2018, 02:55 PM.
    Hey .. look at the bright side .... at least you're not a Liverpool fan! - Lazie 2/24/10 Paul Marin -19 is one thing, 20 is a whole other matter. It gets even worse if they win the UCL. *groan*. 05/18/2011.MU fans naah cough, but all a unuh a vomit?-Lazie 1/11/2015

Damn dude ... you really have a lot on your mind.

"One of my biggest opponent is a fellow fan who makes the valid point that Mourinho is responsible for how the team plays on the field"

Call name man .... LOL ...a coulda who dat? Won't reply yet.
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

You have lost your mind,you have turned into a Russian( bot) orTrump propoganda machine that actually believes his stuff.

So it's everybody's fault but Mourinho ? Look he spent a 100 mill on a striker that doesn't have a 1st touch,another hundred on a midfielder who won Siera A ,made a CL final ,won a WC and has reduced him to being a joke.

That's 200 mill,put his spend in perspective too before you put Pep's,funny how you can't touch Klopp's
      THERE IS ONLY ONE ONANDI LOWE!

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.

Comment

Originally posted by Sir X View Post
        You have lost your mind,you have turned into a Russian( bot) orTrump propoganda machine that actually believes his stuff.

So it's everybody's fault but Mourinho ? Look he spent a 100 mill on a striker that doesn't have a 1st touch,another hundred on a midfielder who won Siera A ,made a CL final ,won a WC and has reduced him to being a joke.

That's 200 mill,put his spend in perspective too before you put Pep's,funny how you can't touch Klopp's
        Hold on ... how long has Klopp been at Liverpool? How many trophies has he won?
        "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

Exactly a year longer and less to work with and threatning the world.

More with less takes time.

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.

Comment

Originally posted by Sir X View Post
            Exactly a year longer and less to work with and threatning the world.

More with less takes time.
            So yuh basically saying ZERO?

Comment

You have to start from somewhere ask Mourinho and Pep.

Comment

While you looking at history. Also remember Jose never stay nowhere more than 3 years before the side start to break apart. Unlike Fergie and others who work inside the dressing room. He get real dejected when Management spend 150 thousand and said hold right now. How about selling a few players? to buy some more. Manu have about 85 percent average players. Sell two forward and buy one. Sell two midfielder and buy one. Sell 2 centerback and buy one, plus use the Manu academy

That doesn't seem to be Jose way. He has 4 average centerbacks and two academy product out on loan. Jose need to look at himself first instead of ripping the side in public every opportunity he gets. How can you have players for 3 years and pretty much saying they are not your kind of players?

What you haven't talk about is that the players he bought doesn't play his style of football and he is wining about them. Alexis, Pogba, Lukaka, Baily.

Do you realize Manu now have the most expensive bench?
                • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Boss did you read my post?
                  Hey .. look at the bright side .... at least you're not a Liverpool fan! - Lazie 2/24/10 Paul Marin -19 is one thing, 20 is a whole other matter. It gets even worse if they win the UCL. *groan*. 05/18/2011.MU fans naah cough, but all a unuh a vomit?-Lazie 1/11/2015

Comment

When I entered Calabar in first form and saw the fourth and fifth formers I thought some of them were teachers. Dem did look like big men with beard and big muscles. As a young grub, me did haffi know me place when me round dem because some a dem coulda be me daddy. As a Lillypulian yuh need fi know yuh place whenever yuh see big people talking. Go and win something.....goddamit man.....go win a scratch off ticket or something before yuh look fi enter into a conversation with a ManU fan.

Comment

Frigg Sass he is in his usual place in outer space,if Mourinho could get the best out of ( 1) 100 million dollar player ( Pogba) you would at least be fighting for a top 4 spot.

That's all you need to evaluate Mourinho.

Comment

Yes but you come to the conclusion the the way forward is just that Woodward and Manu fi spend the money, but that nuh guarantee that Jose going to spend it wisely. So far his record of buying at Manu is not great at buying players. That is the fear of the board.

We agree on many things but the important one except the brunt of the blame.

Jose is not high on selling anyone. He needs to get rid of more of the players. He should have done from last summer. He has to do a better job or go. I read all your post but this is more on Jose than anyone else. The players he spend large money on hasn't improve the squad so far.

Name one of his players that has improved the squad?
                        Last edited by Assasin; December 14, 2018, 07:02 PM.
                        • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

How do you know that is the boards fear , So far his record of buying at Manu is not great at buying players

Are you sure its not developing and getting the best out of the players, look he bought a Siere A, CL finalist , WC winning midfielder and reduced him to the laughing stock of the prem i.e Pogba.

That takes a special talent.

Comment

Well development may come into it, but it could also be my way or the highway. I am not 100 percent sure.

Concerning the board. No board have unlimited amount of money, not even Manu, and if the board didn't have any fear, they would have open up their checkbook when Jose was playing childish at the end of the summer last. He convinced them to go after Alexis in January and look a the results. Alexis is experience so he doesn't need development as per say. Manu is already at the top of the wage bill. How many player you going to have earning over 150,000 a week especially sitting on the bench?

I wouldn't be surprised if Jose is out at the end of the season.

Comment

Development ( may) come in ,isn't it intrinsically linked to ( my way or the highway) ?

He knew how to purchase talent last season when they won Europa,and before that when he won at Chelsea,real Madrid and juventus,now you want me to believe he is clueless......lol

Comment

Working...
                              X