Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heard US Soccer is about to drop

their Development Academy.

A lot of programs are no longer interested in having DA programs. It is expensive, kids can't play in any other sports and being in a DA program at 12 based on how these coaches are picking will not guarantee you will be better at 13. Seen it a lot.

https://soccer.nbcsports.com/2020/04...ademy-program/
    • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

The boys' division was fully stocked with teams - I think 3 new boys' teams joined this season. The girls division, which they seemed reluctant to add, is the one that was shaky.......US Soccer trying to cut cost/expenses - they missed out on millions of dollars from failing to qualify for '18 WC, and if the USWNT win their case for equal pay, which some people think is very likely, that's more money going out. They've also spent millions fighting lawsuits, and they still have at least 2.......Will be interesting to see if they cut their investment in youth & coach development.

I guess MLS will now revive their plans for their own academy league.

Comment

MLS didn't waste any time. I knew they would form their own youth league, since they had it in the works for years, but shelved it to participate in & support US Soccer's USSDA, BUT I didn't think they'd announce it this quickly - https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2020/...discuss-future

Comment

Over the last 2 years a lot of clubs in the south has been dropping the DA program. Our team drop the u12 and they and Concord Fire has teamed up in the various age groups. I see parents taking their kids out of DA as they don't think it is much better than some other programs. Some of the top clubs in the south has started their own league regional league bypassing Georgia soccer.. The League is SCCL and Atlanta United also joined that league with their u12. It started last year and they are trying to make it bigger so they can keep their own money and monitor their leagues.

Let us see how it will work out.
        • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

The Canadian FA has done this also. The idea is with MLS now in place or other pro infrastructure it is not needed. Let the clubs do it and then pick from the clubs. They will argue if you pick right then the same players in the FA Dev program would be in the clubs elite program. I beg to differ but I understand from a $$ perspective why they are doing itg.

Comment

U.S. Soccer were stupid & wasteful - They should not have got in the way of MLS starting & running an elite youth development league. MLS had the resources & infrastructure for an elite youth development league, so U.S. Soccer should have focused their resources on national youth & coach development, especially in the poor/underserved areas.......About 2 years ago MLS looked into doing away with "Homegrown Territories", but didn't do it. I hope MLS will now follow through, and get rid of it.

Comment

From a former MLS academy director:

https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2020/...opment-academy

Comment

I support what you are saying here but too much money is in youth soccer and the clubs are taking advantage. The clubs are more concerned about making the money and coaches change clubs too frequent in my area. It is less about personal development of the players. The bigger clubs eat up the smaller clubs. Many kids fall by the wayside and only a few DA kids are given great opportunities. Most by 15 are not in the program or they are not as good as other kids. Proper training needs to be more wide spread and kids have to be grounded with a strong mentality and love of the game. It is too much about the money and prestige for the clubs.

Comment

You will never get rid of pay-to-play, with private academies/youth teams, but their influence can be reduced. Only 1 MLS academy has pay-to-play - DC United, and the league needs to pressure them to abandon that, since their excuse to have it is no longer valid - they now have their own MLS stadium, as well as their training facility & academy playing field. If MLS removes the "Homegrown Territory" rule, that will help to keep their academies "free". Another thing that needs to be done & will help: MLS partnership with USL has strengthened that league & helped it to grow, and independent USL teams need to start having more "free" academies, since USL has more teams, especially in non-MLS markets/cities, in Middle America, the Mid-West and the South.
                  Last edited by USAF; April 20, 2020, 08:39 PM.

Comment

Just so you know. ATlanta United also have RDS program (Regional Development School which paying for extra lessons for kids. It is also used for recruitment but you have to pay for this lesson. Part of the problem now is that ATL Unided is recruiting less local kids now for their Academy as they bring in kids from all over US and even from overseas. A few youth I know got in in the first two years but now it has become harder and they no longer have tryouts for local kids.

Comment

That's not new. That was being done by MLS academies before there was a Atlanta United, in MLS.......Here's an article talking about what could happen, with Atlanta United, if Homegrown Territories were eliminated.

https://www.dirtysouthsoccer.com/201...nd-mls-forever

Comment

USL has announced, today, that they will start their own Academy League, to start Spring 2021:

Comment

It was reported, yesterday, that in the wake of the USSDA shuttering, both LA Galaxy and San Jose Earthquakes have closed their girls academies. Both had 2 of the top girls academies in the U.S., with a lot of their players being recruited by UCLA, Stanford, Duke and California.

Comment

Not how successful this is going to be as one DA players play in the Spring. Most other kids play high school. You may say High is not of the standard but it allow 15 year old to play against 19 year old. Can help them to develop.

New US Girl Academy
                            https://www.soccerwire.com/news/form...cademy-league/

LA Galaxy and others shutting their girls program.

We will see how it goes. I think that US soccer has just created a possible mess with no uniformity.

Comment

Working...
                            X