Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dancehall under pressure from Afrobeats

CLEANER LYRICS
    Sean 'Contractor' Edwards, head of Contractor Music Group in Ocho Rios, St Ann, pointed to another set of reasons Afrobeat seems to be edging out dancehall on the international scene. He explained that aside from the rhythm, which makes people feel good and want to dance, Afrobeat boasts clean lyrics and a vibe to which people are drawn.

"Afrobeat has more melody to it than regular dancehall, so it's something that people can dance to, as well as the lyrics are more radio- and party-friendly. Many of them are love songs, not violent lyrics," he said.

http://jamaica-gleaner.com/article/e...sure-afrobeats
    Hey .. look at the bright side .... at least you're not a Liverpool fan! - Lazie 2/24/10 Paul Marin -19 is one thing, 20 is a whole other matter. It gets even worse if they win the UCL. *groan*. 05/18/2011.MU fans naah cough, but all a unuh a vomit?-Lazie 1/11/2015

I have a brethren who use to produce a lot of Reggae and now he tells me he is most doing music for Ghanians. The fact is reggae sales is since the internet music era.
    • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

'banana fall on you'

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

afrobeat is not killing dancehall, As a matter of fact if you ask me mush of what we call dancehall the movado and even TJ Rygin stuff is boderline afrobeats trap stuff.... so really you have a fusion. If you are talking about the marketability of dancehall well ask Drake and and the trini youth who did over Devonte and Tunto tune.. the issue is we are not capatalizing from the market...

Comment

popcaan is the biggest act in dancehall now & his album came & went without much fuss...we had a couple slots on radio in the summertime...those have now gone to afrobeats artists...happy danceable music...

Comment

but would you not say popcaan and other are on afrobeat riddims?

Comment

there are similarities...but modern afrobeats is smoother...more melodic & has way better production than modern dancehall...

Comment

The local dancehall artistes and producers are just too lazy. Every new artiste wants to sing about the same stupid things in order to buss. Their lyrical content are basic to say the very least, and today's female practitioners would make Lady Saw look like a Catholic nun in her prime.

The Afrobeats phenom is just the current trend which I don't think would gain a major foothold like dancehall. However, our artistes are losing out because they refuse to clean up their act and become more professional.
                Hey .. look at the bright side .... at least you're not a Liverpool fan! - Lazie 2/24/10 Paul Marin -19 is one thing, 20 is a whole other matter. It gets even worse if they win the UCL. *groan*. 05/18/2011.MU fans naah cough, but all a unuh a vomit?-Lazie 1/11/2015

Comment

dancehall definitely has more staying power than afrobeats...but there are no gatekeepers...it's like a open land ting so a yute bang out a beat in 20 minutes on him computer and release it to youtube or wherever...no real mastering...no real producer...no guidance...aim is to stir up a likkle hype and get two show in antigua & barbados...dancehall as we know it is done...minor local hits & that's it...

Comment

Don't know how many names them a go give dancehall reggae. European them call it dubstep and make a money, the Latino call it reggaton and make a money and the Africans them a make a money now.

bwoy a tell you.
                    • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Originally posted by Bricktop View Post
                      dancehall definitely has more staying power than afrobeats...but there are no gatekeepers...it's like a open land ting so a yute bang out a beat in 20 minutes on him computer and release it to youtube or wherever...no real mastering...no real producer...no guidance...aim is to stir up a likkle hype and get two show in antigua & barbados...dancehall as we know it is done...minor local hits & that's it...
                      Agree. They have no knowledge of music and are trying to bypass seasoned producers. Dem sof'. Waste of time

Comment

a lot of the seasoned producers can't worry to use their equipment, hire musicians and then spend hours and then pay balancing etc to be selling 80 copies or 200 copies a week or give it away free on internet so many who made it just live off their royalties.

The Jamaican reggae world have to come as a unit. We should have bought a few stations in major american market long time to make sure we have consistent play and a voice. A station like Radio Ghana have about 6 million people it reaches out to so can compare that to RJR or any station in Ja.

Comment

Originally posted by Bricktop View Post
                          popcaan is the biggest act in dancehall now & his album came & went without much fuss...we had a couple slots on radio in the summertime...those have now gone to afrobeats artists...happy danceable music...
                          Bring back old school reggae and ska me say.

Comment

Old school will never die. However, young Reggae singers are putting out a number of well produced music. Chronixx, Protege, Kybaka Pyramid etc along with some young beautiful female singers. The problem though is that reggae is not breaking into mainstream. Dancehall with it’s faster beat will breakthrough easier

Comment

Originally posted by Jangle View Post
                              Old school will never die. However, young Reggae singers are putting out a number of well produced music. Chronixx, Protege, Kybaka Pyramid etc along with some young beautiful female singers. The problem though is that reggae is not breaking into mainstream. Dancehall with it’s faster beat will breakthrough easier
                              Yep. Breakthrough it will. Unfortunetely short-lived.

Comment

Working...
                              X