Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Appleton Estate Tour Whitewashes History

THE EDITOR, Sir:

On June 5, 2018, a group of us from the UK toured the Appleton Estate in St Elizabeth. The tour was professionally conducted. That is until the narrative about the plantation's history began to unfold. It started with a cute little donkey diligently walking in a circle and gently crushing cane. I immediately felt a knot in my stomach as a friend queried the absence of enslaved labour.

To add further insult to injury, we were subjected to a Disney-like video about the sugar plantation. Not even one mention of enslaved Africans, estate owners, plantation life or colonialism. The video completely whitewashed the brutal conditions our ancestors endured on this industrial sugar plantation.
    http://jamaica-gleaner.com/article/l...washes-history
    Hey .. look at the bright side .... at least you're not a Liverpool fan! - Lazie 2/24/10 Paul Marin -19 is one thing, 20 is a whole other matter. It gets even worse if they win the UCL. *groan*. 05/18/2011.MU fans naah cough, but all a unuh a vomit?-Lazie 1/11/2015

Agreed,Ghana has slave tours,American has slave musuems,Britain has exhibitions,Jamaica which once produced the richest man in the world from the institution of slavery has what ?

I keep saying we have alot of stories to tell.
    THERE IS ONLY ONE ONANDI LOWE!

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.

Comment

Originally posted by Sir X View Post
      Agreed,Ghana has slave tours,American has slave musuems,Britain has exhibitions,Jamaica which once produced the richest man in the world from the institution of slavery has what ?

I keep saying we have alot of stories to tell.
      Yep. Remember "there is no racism in Jamaica only classism". Makes me laugh everytime I hear another idiot makes that statement.

Comment

If they were familiar with Stuart Hall work they would know it's synonymous, interchangeable.

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.

Comment

X

...X.

Comment

Appleton owned by the Campari (the Italians)

This is not really surprising in my book but very sad. When we sell out our comapanies, we also at their mercy to preserve our history.

Again this is sad and disturbing if what the writer saying is true.
            • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

And to think we have a SERIOUS bleaching problem,interestingly enough,it took a foreigner to start such an important discussion.
              Fret not thyself,our spineless leaders will get to it given the important issue of renaming a highway has been resolved.
              Kill me dead,if that infamous foreign agency did not get Bob Marley,our politicians would.
              Sounds farfetched,well who is responsible for the icon getting shot in the failed assassination?

Comment

Originally posted by Rockman View Post
                And to think we have a SERIOUS bleaching problem,interestingly enough,it took a foreigner to start such an important discussion.
                Fret not thyself,our spineless leaders will get to it given the important issue of renaming a highway has been resolved.
                Kill me dead,if that infamous foreign agency did not get Bob Marley,our politicians would.
                Sounds farfetched,well who is responsible for the icon getting shot in the failed assassination?
                Definitely. I think I have an idea. One who speaks only of violence and wore sunglasses even when it was dark. Disgraceful. Only one man's opinion.

Comment

Interesting POV but I disagree. I actually did this tour years ago when Appleton was locally owned and saw the same or similar donkey and they did not mention slavery. I guess they could have but it’s a tour about sugar and Rum making. I guess they could have said that slaves use to cut the canes the same way we could say navybisland was built by forced labour but really itsxaboutvRum.

Comment

Working...
                  X