Excellent Points, Jangle!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Excellent Points, Jangle!

I am hoping that the Jamaican government acts sensibly and AVOID any attempt to host the IAAF World Relays. The cash-strapped Bahamas government realized that the country was not benefitting in any way from this overrated two-day event, despite pouring anywhere US$5 to US$9 million each time. In fact, the only real beneficiary is the IAAF. (I could expand more on the benefits to the IAAF, but I can’t be bothered to at this time.)

To talk about having a great impact on visitor arrivals is a fallacy. Sure, athletes and their supporters, management teams, and foreign journalists will arrive, but this does not qualify as a great impact, plus the IAAF, which maintains broadcasting rights, will be broadcasting the event globally through a wide variety of selected channels and via YouTube. The task up upgrading our ancient national stadium is also a costly one. The Bahamas, owner of one of the newest stadiums in the region, had to invest somewhere in the region of US$9 million to meet the IAAF’s criteria.

Jangle, you are absolutely correct when you stated, “If the relays coming to Kingston, that's just a speck that will not change anything on the tourism map.”

You are likewise correct when you said, “There’s a reason why Bahamas is giving it up. The World Relays is not generating enough interest amongst the top athletes because it’s too early in the season.”

To cite one example as support, although there have been three IAAF World Relays so far (2014, 2015 and 2017), Ethiopia has never sent even one athlete.

By the way, Jamaica as the “Mecca” of tourism is wild talk which ignores the facts. The islands of the Bahamas get MUCH MORE tourist visitors annually than Jamaica, and the same with the Dominican Republic. So as you again accurately stated, “Bahamas gets 2m more visitors annually than Jamaica. It’s cheaper and easier to get to the Bahamas from North America and Europe than it is to get to Jamaica....and it’s safer. The World Relays will not even create a ripple in Jamaica’s tourism earnings.”

In conclusion, I would hate to see a repeat of the Cricket World Cup fiasco, which was preceded by wild arguments about the perceived profitability of this ill-fated venture.

Jamaican’s economy is such that the government needs to prioritize the spending of every dollar. There is no way that Jamaica should even consider becoming involved in the May 10 – 11, 2019 IAAF World Championships!

good to see you back. Historian.

However, when since X listen to facts???

Putting the float in Port Royal will have more immediate and long term benefit as it will be done with a cruise shipping company I understand.
    • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

The stadiums in the Bahamas are filled with Jamaicans not bahamians,that should tell you something,there is a reason the IAAF is begging JA!
      THERE IS ONLY ONE ONANDI LOWE!

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.

Comment

X stop while you’re ahead. The most we will benefit out of hosting the relays is upgrading the National stadium.
        Hey .. look at the bright side .... at least you're not a Liverpool fan! - Lazie 2/24/10 Paul Marin -19 is one thing, 20 is a whole other matter. It gets even worse if they win the UCL. *groan*. 05/18/2011.MU fans naah cough, but all a unuh a vomit?-Lazie 1/11/2015

Comment

Jamaica needs to come up with a comprehensive plan to host international events on a regular basis but the world relay may not move a needle unless we are going to get better quality competition, the best athlete and get top marketing and sponsorship. As it is now I think it is a loser.
          • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

We had this discussion awhile back over the phone , to follow you guys lead, the NY Open tennis championship is just a speck,Penn relays is just a speck ,the NY Diamond league is just a speck to the tourism economies of those areas.The international exposure has value !

To say that the bahamas has more tourist than Jamaica is a red herring , NY has more tourist than pennsylvania,does it stop them from hosting the Penn relays ,no because Penn has a history of T&F i.e a MECCA of T&F !

To say that the IAAF has broadcast rights implies that it cant be renogotiated for Jamaicas benefit , a colonial mindset where we bargain from a position of beggars, from an institution (IAAF) that is begging JA to be the host ,as for the cricket comparrison the WC was a financial waste but T20 cricket has shown a 25 % increase in visitor arrivals yearly to KGN !

It will be the MECCA and it will be the game changer that will float,not the cruise pier float !
            Last edited by Sir X; July 13, 2018, 07:55 PM.

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.

Comment

Welcome back sir
              Hey .. look at the bright side .... at least you're not a Liverpool fan! - Lazie 2/24/10 Paul Marin -19 is one thing, 20 is a whole other matter. It gets even worse if they win the UCL. *groan*. 05/18/2011.MU fans naah cough, but all a unuh a vomit?-Lazie 1/11/2015

Comment

What a whiff of fresh air!

Historian, always a fountain of good information.

X, its a good idea to know when to stap.
                The only time TRUTH will hurt you...is if you ignore it long enough

HL

Comment

Originally posted by Sir X View Post
                  The stadiums in the Bahamas are filled with Jamaicans not bahamians,that should tell you something,there is a reason the IAAF is begging JA!
                  Agree. If it were profitable, the criminals of the IAAF would want to keep it in Europe, but it's a losing undertaking so dump it on Ja. Dont fall for the hype.

Comment

Reggae doc seriously....😏,so the carribbean T20 tournament should be kept out of Kgn ,and the world cup should never have left Europe and South America.

Because it flopped In the Bahamas does not mean it will flop In the Mecca,for 1 It's jamaicans who fill the stadiums in the Bahamas,2nd they don't have a package that can sell like us.Dont count out that we can turn it into a mini penns relay ,where we invite the top schools from around the world to compete against our HS stars.

Broadcasting rights will have to be negotiated from a point of strength ! That's why we are the Mecca !

Nuh use Bahamas fat,and fry Jamaica.😏

Comment

So when are YOU going to stop saying that?

Comment

Working...
                      X