The downside of Airbnb

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The downside of Airbnb

Another downside to Airbnb is that it's pushing rental prices up. Why rent your two-bedroom, Kingston 6 apartment for US$1,000 a month when you can get US$200 a night for it online? Property owners looking at opportunity costs and driven to maximise the earning potential of their assets are only taking on short-term rentals. So young professionals, new families, students looking for a place to board are all chasing a shrinking pool of properties.

http://jamaica-gleaner.com/article/c...ownside-airbnb
    Hey .. look at the bright side .... at least you're not a Liverpool fan! - Lazie 2/24/10 Paul Marin -19 is one thing, 20 is a whole other matter. It gets even worse if they win the UCL. *groan*. 05/18/2011.MU fans naah cough, but all a unuh a vomit?-Lazie 1/11/2015

yes that is the biggest downside along with it price of houses.

WE need a medium.
    • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Supply and demand is the equalizer.
      Hey .. look at the bright side .... at least you're not a Liverpool fan! - Lazie 2/24/10 Paul Marin -19 is one thing, 20 is a whole other matter. It gets even worse if they win the UCL. *groan*. 05/18/2011.MU fans naah cough, but all a unuh a vomit?-Lazie 1/11/2015

Comment

The Realtor association in Jamaica is against it because people are by passing them to rent by owner !

I look at these articles as suspect.Let the free market reign.
        THERE IS ONLY ONE ONANDI LOWE!

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.

Comment

In the short term supply can't keep up to demand. It is happening in major cities like NY as well.

Long term it will level out but the prices are going to go up.
          • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

What are you saying about short term keeping up with demand and levelling out ? I dont understand you .

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.

Comment

The fact is you can't supply the amount of Airb&b and domestic rental that is needed in the short time so one is going to suffer and price will go up for local rental.

Long term you can catch with demand as more houses are build. There can only be a limited amount of building in the short term.

Comment

I know of no market in any city where rentals catch up with demand,that's the reason rental prices rise,be it short term or long term,be it building new houses or not.

Comment

https://www.citylab.com/equity/2018/...k-city/552749/

you need to do some research. You can start here as your knowledge is limited on the subject.

Comment

You need to comprehend what you just posted,it does not support your position in fact it supports mine !

Their conclusion: Most of those rumors are true. Wachsmuth found reason to believe that Airbnb has indeed raised rents, removed housing from the rental market, and fueled gentrification—at least in New York City.

They like kingston Jamaica and every other metropolis have not solved the rental problem and are hoping their solutions will work.No where does it state it does.

You are making Stuff up to justify your nonsense as usual.

Comment

"The fact is you can't supply the amount of Airb&b and domestic rental that is needed in the short time so one is going to suffer and price will go up for local rental.

Long term you can catch with demand as more houses are build. There can only be a limited amount of building in the short term."

this is what I posted above so what is your point or you have to get on both sides of the issue as usual? In the long term houses can build, and prices settle. That is my point.

Comment

Fact is the 2nd part of your statement is wrong,the article you posted did not say they caught up with demand ,in fact they list solutions for affordable housing ,another fact is, it has been in short supply the day man started charging rent.

Therefore always a demand or shortage,AirBNB only aggravates the market.

It will never catch up,unless industries leave the city.No industries,no workers,no renters.

Those are facts.

Comment

I have never said they caught with demand. I said in the long term it will get better for most of these cities. I said in the short term it is very bad for long term renters. It change the market totally.

Comment

That's what you are saying now ! And 2 nd the article does not say that.

Comment

The principle of economics tell you that.

Comment

Working...
                              X