RBSC

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What or who is behind this plague of taxis?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What or who is behind this plague of taxis?

Last August, the Jamaica Constabulary Force (JCF) launched the Public Safety and Traffic Enforcement (PSTE) branch, which was a merger of the Motorised Patrol and Traffic divisions.

A year later, instead of some semblance of improvements on the roads, what we have is a plague of taximen that have overrun the Corporate Area particularly; a lawless bunch who generally could not care less about the rules of the road.

They park or stop any and everywhere, pick up or let off passengers in the middle of the streets, overtake at pedestrian crossings, run red lights, honk their horns in silence zones like schools and hospitals and curse or threaten anyone who objects to their lawlessness.

The sudden jump in the number of taxis on the road has only added to the historical disorderliness. The Transport Authority, which approves taxi licences, has a great deal to answer for.

What explains this seemingly unprecedented number of taxi licences? And who is behind it? We need answers from the Transport Authority. Surely, the market cannot sustain such high volumes of taxis.

This is likely the reason for the Wild West operations as taxi men jostle for passengers and would seemingly run over children or old people to pick up anyone resembling a commuter standing near a bus top.

http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/edito...0?profile=1100
    Hey .. look at the bright side .... at least you're not a Liverpool fan! - Lazie 2/24/10 Paul Marin -19 is one thing, 20 is a whole other matter. It gets even worse if they win the UCL. *groan*. 05/18/2011.MU fans naah cough, but all a unuh a vomit?-Lazie 1/11/2015

there actually aren't enough taxis to serve the public...if we want to eliminate the scourge of taxis we need a proper public transport system...an urban tram network would be ideal...
    Last edited by Bricktop; July 13, 2019, 06:55 AM.

Comment

They are lawless.
      Hey .. look at the bright side .... at least you're not a Liverpool fan! - Lazie 2/24/10 Paul Marin -19 is one thing, 20 is a whole other matter. It gets even worse if they win the UCL. *groan*. 05/18/2011.MU fans naah cough, but all a unuh a vomit?-Lazie 1/11/2015

Comment

yes. No reason why we can't control them.
        • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

i don't think it's possible...we don't have enough traffic police...police are on a mission seizing taxis left & right now...that hasn't even put a dent in the indiscipline...they don't care...

Comment

Originally posted by Bricktop View Post
            i don't think it's possible...we don't have enough traffic police...police are on a mission seizing taxis left & right now...that hasn't even put a dent in the indiscipline...they don't care...
            Yep. That's right and I was told by unconfirmed source that quite a few cops and retired cops are in the taxi buisness. Go figure.

Comment

Originally posted by Jangle
              Last August, the Jamaica Constabulary Force (JCF) launched the Public Safety and Traffic Enforcement (PSTE) branch, which was a merger of the Motorised Patrol and Traffic divisions.

A year later, instead of some semblance of improvements on the roads, what we have is a plague of taximen that have overrun the Corporate Area particularly; a lawless bunch who generally could not care less about the rules of the road.

They park or stop any and everywhere, pick up or let off passengers in the middle of the streets, overtake at pedestrian crossings, run red lights, honk their horns in silence zones like schools and hospitals and curse or threaten anyone who objects to their lawlessness.

The sudden jump in the number of taxis on the road has only added to the historical disorderliness. The Transport Authority, which approves taxi licences, has a great deal to answer for.

What explains this seemingly unprecedented number of taxi licences? And who is behind it? We need answers from the Transport Authority. Surely, the market cannot sustain such high volumes of taxis.

This is likely the reason for the Wild West operations as taxi men jostle for passengers and would seemingly run over children or old people to pick up anyone resembling a commuter standing near a bus top.

http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/edito...0?profile=1100
              So government can’t control taxis which have to operate in the open on government built roads. A Wild West as you quote.

I’m wondering how government and its super efficient & honest police force will control your proposal for hordes of St Thomas whores operating in the dark on private premises. Sounds like a great setup for a Wilder East 😏

Wooooiiiiieeee mi clavicle!
              TIVOLI: THE DESTRUCTION OF JAMAICA'S EVIL EMPIRE

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

D1 - Xposing Dummies since 2007

Comment

Yes I know a lot of them are in the business. A few months ago my friend tell me most of the robot in Portland park as they were clamping down on them.

The fines need to be more and passengers need to demand more than putting themselves at risk but I am been an hypocrite here cause when I went to high school I encouraged the drivers of the buses to race.
                • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Working...
                X