Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blessing Okagbare "banned" from Rio 2016

Nigerian star Blessing Okagbare "banned" from Rio 2016 after injury row

Decorated athletics star Blessing Okagbare has reportedly been banned from appearing at the Rio 2016 Olympics by Nigeria following a row over her appearance at the Diamond League meeting in Zurich last week.

The 26-year-old sprinter and long jumper was a late withdrawal from the 200m at the IAAF World Championships in Beijing last month, reportedly due to a hamstring injury, and she also did not travel to Brazzaville for the All-Africa Games which are currently underway.

However, Okagbare did compete in Zurich on Thursday, finishing second in the 100m with a time of 10.98s.
    This decision appears to have angered Nigeria's National Sports Commission (NSC) with its Director General Al Hassan Yakmu telling the country's Guardian newspaper: "I was shocked when I saw Okagbare competing in the Diamond League in Zurich last Thursday.
    "I was wondering if it was the same Okagbare who refused to compete for Nigeria in the 200m event at the IAAF World Championship in Beijing.

more
    Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else - Vince Lombardi

I as shocked too and I'm not Nigerian.

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Hey .. look at the bright side .... at least you're not a Liverpool fan! - Lazie 2/24/10 Paul Marin -19 is one thing, 20 is a whole other matter. It gets even worse if they win the UCL. *groan*. 05/18/2011.MU fans naah cough, but all a unuh a vomit?-Lazie 1/11/2015

Comment

she know she it would bi hard fi medal. Har ongle chance wouldah fight out di bronze wid VCB an even dat did look steep, suh mi injured ah di excuse. Den recover fi mek a money a Diamond league.

Comment

If the Nigerian track officials are like the JFF, she will carry the flag at the opening ceremony.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Originally posted by Hortical View Post
            Nigerian star Blessing Okagbare "banned" from Rio 2016 after injury row

Decorated athletics star Blessing Okagbare has reportedly been banned from appearing at the Rio 2016 Olympics by Nigeria following a row over her appearance at the Diamond League meeting in Zurich last week.

The 26-year-old sprinter and long jumper was a late withdrawal from the 200m at the IAAF World Championships in Beijing last month, reportedly due to a hamstring injury, and she also did not travel to Brazzaville for the All-Africa Games which are currently underway.

However, Okagbare did compete in Zurich on Thursday, finishing second in the 100m with a time of 10.98s.
            This decision appears to have angered Nigeria's National Sports Commission (NSC) with its Director General Al Hassan Yakmu telling the country's Guardian newspaper: "I was shocked when I saw Okagbare competing in the Diamond League in Zurich last Thursday.
            "I was wondering if it was the same Okagbare who refused to compete for Nigeria in the 200m event at the IAAF World Championship in Beijing.

more

Not true!
            The Athletics Federation of Nigeria has described as outright falsehood media reports that fleet footed Africa queen of the track and field, Blessing Okagbare, has been banned by the National Sports Commission and AFN from participating in the Rio 2016 Olympics Games.

http://www.trackalerts.com/Articles/...eration/14528/
            The same type of thinking that created a problem cannot be used to solve the problem.

Comment

Frigging lying piece of internet. Me did a wonder how dem fi ban the African Browning.
              Hey .. look at the bright side .... at least you're not a Liverpool fan! - Lazie 2/24/10 Paul Marin -19 is one thing, 20 is a whole other matter. It gets even worse if they win the UCL. *groan*. 05/18/2011.MU fans naah cough, but all a unuh a vomit?-Lazie 1/11/2015

Comment

Working...
              X