• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boy Get Deport Come Dung Inna One Pants

http://youtu.be/NYMaOS0_GpM

Maaaaaaaaaaaad...

PROGRAMMER'S NOTE

Between 1999 and 2001, Canada, the United Kingdom and the United States passed legislation which mandated that any foreign-born person convicted of a criminal offense could be deported to their country of origin. This led to the expulsion and deportation of many who had left those countries virtually in infancy, and had no knowledge of the nations they were being sent back to. The blowback from this policy is the subject of Sudz Sutherland’s gutsy drama Home Again.

Sutherland follows three characters, now back "home" in Jamaica and struggling to find their place in what is effectively a foreign country. Everton (Stephan James) is a spoiled British teenager deported over possession of a few joints, an offence which wouldn’t even rate a mention in some countries’ criminal codes. Young mother Marva (Tatyana Ali), deported because she foolishly transported a suitcase full of contraband for her no-account, now long-gone boyfriend, struggles to re-unite with her children and deal with her new home life, which includes a furious aunt who feels she’s being imposed upon and an uncle who wants Margo there for less than altruistic reasons. Finally, there’s Dunston (Lyriq Bent), who appears to have a shadier past than the other two and who quickly obtains employment in the Kingston underworld as a bodyguard for a vicious drug lord known as The Don, who also serves as a kind of godfather to the community, resolving disputes between neighbours and rendering sage judgments with a Solomon-like air.

As these characters attempt to navigate their way in a world they don’t understand, Sutherland and his co-writer Jennifer Holness subtly manoeuvre them towards a path to (some sort of) redemption exploring the obliviousness of the "First World" to conditions in the "Third" (most pointedly in a scene where Everton’s mother, played by the great CCH Pounder, meets a drunken tourist who, from the vantage of the hotel pool, deems Jamaica a paradise). Home Again begins, quite rightly, as a critique of a catastrophic and fundamentally racist policy, but by the end it’s as much about the courage of its principals as they attempt to carve out new lives for themselves.
    "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

When dis a drop? I hope it will be in a location near ...me.
      "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

Originally posted by Lazie View Post
        I hope it will be in a location near ...me.
        torrents

Comment

Originally posted by Skeng D View Post
          torrents
          Thats it? Okay. I thought it was coming to the cinema.
          "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

Yeah yeah!

Yet another movie that shows nothing but rampant, internecine crime in our beloved land.

Jamaicans do not hold bank jobs, go to good schools, play cricket and dominoes and go to parties at Sugarman Beach. Nooo! All we do is duck bullets and run. Hence our Olympic results!

Sigh!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

where?

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

you have to learn young bwoy hacking style.
                • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Respect, Mo!!

Originally posted by Mosiah View Post
                  Yeah yeah!

Yet another movie that shows nothing but rampant, internecine crime in our beloved land.

Jamaicans do not hold bank jobs, go to good schools, play cricket and dominoes and go to parties at Sugarman Beach. Nooo! All we do is duck bullets and run. Hence our Olympic results!

Sigh!
                  Nuff, nuff respect for your comment here, Mo!!

Trust me, I too am sick of the stereotype when it comes to Jamaican movies and even plays! This ghetto and violence thing worked fine with “The Harder They Come” and “Dancehall Queen,” but hell, enough is enough!

Comment

Originally posted by Historian View Post
                    Nuff, nuff respect for your comment here, Mo!!

Trust me, I too am sick of the stereotype when it comes to Jamaican movies and even plays! This ghetto and violence thing worked fine with “The Harder They Come” and “Dancehall Queen,” but hell, enough is enough!

The good thing about this world is that people have choices. If one don't wanna see it, then don't see it. As a fan of action and comedy, I don't mind it as long as there is a good story line.

Comment

So me see it too. Dem mek movie bout tourist pon beach we vex, dem mek movie bout shotta we vex.

What dem must mek movie bout, engineer and accountant a drink beer inna New Kingston after work? You would invest your money in a movie bout dat?
                      "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

I only care about action, sci & gangster movies. Go watch the cartoon channel if you so please.
                        And a revenge movie about taking action against slave traders.
                        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eUdM9vrCbow
                        Last edited by Hortical; January 17, 2013, 09:31 PM.
                        Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else - Vince Lombardi

Comment

Completely Missing the Point

The good thing about this world is that people have choices. If one don't wanna see it, then don't see it. As a fan of action and comedy, I don't mind it as long as there is a good story line.
                          I was not simply talking about “action” and “comedy”! Of course many of us, me included, enjoy action and comedy. Rather, we’re talking about something completely different.

A country’s image is very important in this tourism-dependent, invstment-dependent globalized world, and in all the daily discussions taking place here about Portia and Phillip and Andrew and Audley we miss this simple fact! (Please don’t tell me about violent Mexico; Jamaica does not have the romanticized history, etc. that Mexico has and so it is easier for Mexico to weather their storm.)

In addition, as Mosiah correctly alluded in his post, Jamaica is more -- much more -- than the simplistic criminality and mayhem that is a part of our irresponsible movie industry of which some of us seem so proud! So, I agree 100 percent with Mo’s sentiments. Yet some of us get angry when foreign artists like Rihanna, Capone ‘N’ Noreiga, and others choose Jamaica (and not Barbados or the Cayman Islands or Aruba, etc.) as the setting for their occasional negative, disturbing brand of music videos.

But don’t let me step on your happiness, gentlemen; continue enjoying the latest violence movies emanating from Jamaica.The paradox is that, on the one hand, our hardworking security forces are risking their lives day and night to stem violence, while on the other hand we Jamaicans continue to glorify violence in various forms in our music and our screen productions.

Your responses are disappointing, Lazie, Islandman and Hortical, and NOT only because I do not agree with you.

God help us all.

Comment

Nat me King Lazie, movie entertainment for me must be more uplifting. but you said it very well. We all have choice!
                            The only time TRUTH will hurt you...is if you ignore it long enough

HL

Comment

I side with Mo and Historian on this one. I wouldn't mind seeing a movie about a poor Jamaican boy elevating himself from the ghetto of Kingston by getting a simple office job and then going on to become a millionaire. Now that is action-packed.
                              Hey .. look at the bright side .... at least you're not a Liverpool fan! - Lazie 2/24/10 Paul Marin -19 is one thing, 20 is a whole other matter. It gets even worse if they win the UCL. *groan*. 05/18/2011.MU fans naah cough, but all a unuh a vomit?-Lazie 1/11/2015

Comment

Working...
                              X