Boy Get Deport Come Dung Inna One Pants

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by HL View Post
    I agree with you HISTORY-BUFF. I happened across the crap called Shotta...and I was ashamed at the promotion of the lovely Island of my birth--Jamaica. By my standard it was utterly disgusting.

This new film ( although the story line has merit), does nothing to improve Jamaica's image.

Someone mentioned earlier Jamaican films like Smile Orange, Cool Runnings , Mighty Quinn and Club Paradise. These films for the most part are uplifting to the Jamaican image. I watched Cool Runnings puffed-up with pride.

Everyone like what they like. I respect choice.

The one positive from this new film is that the target market is very limited.
    HL those films you listed are a sham...Disneyfied...not real...not saying I am for Shottas and the like but damn well don't wanna hear exaggerated accents punctuated with "mon" either

Comment

The Jamaican language is not always patois. Many Jamaicans speak clear english with a Jamaican accent.

The success of most film is about the target market. I would not consider myself within that market.

I will re-emphasize the importance of respecting choice.

I respect you for liking and promoting Dance Hall on this forum. I was impressed that the 'satire' I posted about the ram goat (in a previous post)...you were able to identify that the dance-hall music used in the satire...was not original.

Maybe like the film Shottas, I may stumble across this new movie on TV--and watch...just to watch. But from the preview, i am not impressed by the negative light it presents Jamaica.
      Last edited by HL; January 19, 2013, 02:49 PM.
      The only time TRUTH will hurt you...is if you ignore it long enough

HL

Comment

The Jamaican language is not always patois. Many Jamaicans speak clear english with a Jamaican accent.
        Agreed... but the accents in Cool Runnings...Club Paradise etc. etc. were not Jamaican accents...they were Hollywood Jamaican accents...Screwface in Marked For Death was way over the top...those movies weren't "real"...they didn't capture any part of Jamaican culture...

Comment

BrickT. the "Jamaican Culture" I know (and remenber) is loving kind and charitable. Not that there were no crime and violence--but today's level is unprecedented.

Someone earlier made the point that lots of tourists fail to disembark from cruise ship when they reach Jamaica. Guess why?

I recall in the 80's, I was working in New Jersey then. One of my co-worker, a manager from Russia-- went on a cruise which incl. a stop in Jamaica.

After he got back...he said to me "hey HL, lots of Jamaicans keep coming up to me trying to sell me marijuana".......... I kinda laughed it off as an anomaly. He bought it.

LAST: I have traveled to quite a few countries...and walked around in the capital of some of these countries. I could not do that (as a tourist) in kINGSTON. Jamaica ranks very high on the aggressiveness of its people. This new film does nothing to POSITIVELY hi-light our beautiful Island

It was not always like this. We need much more POSITIVE exposure. Even if it's embellished.
          Last edited by HL; January 19, 2013, 04:25 PM.
          The only time TRUTH will hurt you...is if you ignore it long enough

HL

Comment

BrickT. the "Jamaican Culture" I know (and remenber) is loving kind and charitable. Not that there were no crime and violence--but today's level is unprecedented.

Someone earlier made the point that lots of tourists fail to disembark from cruise ship when they reach Jamaica. Guess why?

I recall in the 80's, I was working in New Jersey then. One of my co-worker, a manager from Russia-- went on a cruise which incl. a stop in Jamaica.

After he got back...he said to me "hey HL, lots of Jamaicans keep coming up to me trying to sell me marijuana".......... I kinda laughed it off as an anomaly. He bought it.

LAST: I have traveled to quite a few countries...and walked around in the capital of some of these countries. I could not do that (as a tourist) in kINGSTON. Jamaica ranks very high on the aggressiveness of its people. This new film does nothing to POSITIVELY hi-light our beautiful Island

It was not always like this. We need much more POSITIVE exposure. Even if it's embellished.
            I agree with you that we need more positive exposure...just not with American actors playing us and using bad accents...

Comment

Don't expect them to raid our play houses in search of that genuine accent. They will think it's better to have a big actor like Michael Ealy learn the accent rather than give Shebada the part.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Originally posted by Bricktop View Post
                http://youtu.be/NYMaOS0_GpM

Maaaaaaaaaaaad...
                TIVOLI: THE DESTRUCTION OF JAMAICA'S EVIL EMPIRE

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

D1 - Xposing Dummies since 2007

Comment

Working...
                X