Change is painful in an undisciplined society

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Change is painful in an undisciplined society

Taxi operators continue protest of new Road Traffic Act - Government source says nothing will change

Despite the chaos caused by taxi operators who protested yesterday for the second day across sections of the island over what they called "ridiculous" aspects of the newly proposed Road Traffic Act, a government source said that not much will change.

Some taxi operators and owners went to Gordon House and heaped stones and large debris on the roadways metres away, as lawmakers met. Some forced colleagues who attempted to work, to empty their vehicles of passengers.

http://jamaica-gleaner.com/article/l...ernment-source
    Hey .. look at the bright side .... at least you're not a Liverpool fan! - Lazie 2/24/10 Paul Marin -19 is one thing, 20 is a whole other matter. It gets even worse if they win the UCL. *groan*. 05/18/2011.MU fans naah cough, but all a unuh a vomit?-Lazie 1/11/2015

So they owners hire drivers with outstanding tickets and don;t expect to have any responsibility? They don't realize these drivers are also putting their business in danger by breaking the law and having accidents.

What is the suggestion these taxi drivers have?

Time to wake up and get responsible.
    • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Its complicated,if the driver commits a moving violation he should be responsible for his personal ticket , e.g speeding or parking violation ,if its a defect on the vehicle or not having papers,signs,emblems the owner or business the vehicle its registerd to should be responsible.

I speak as a former Taxi driver and manager of a cab service .Its reasonable , if the government is asking them to be responsible for drivers personal tickets,thats madness.
      THERE IS ONLY ONE ONANDI LOWE!

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.

Comment

If you break the law in America while driving and is caught by a Camera then you are charged based on your license plate. It is up to you to find out who was driving your car and pay for it or have them pay for it..

Not in all cases you can get the driver. It is also the responsibility for the owner to hire responsible driver. Many of these guys have outstanding tickets and owners need also to be responsible here. For too long we have too much careless driving especially in our public transport system and having police chasing drivers in traffic is not always the wisest thing so if they get a license plate, the owner have to explain.
        • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

That is true,if you have a camera ,thats traceable, but what if its not traceable ?

Even the most responsible driver gets a ticket and its madness to leave drivers with no responsibility, they can move from cab stand to cab stand or owner to owner.

Or in Jamaicas case if its implemented from renting from owner to another owner.

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.

Comment

No you still try to get it from the driver but currently the owners have no responsibility. How can you hire a man who have 200 outstanding tickets to drive your car? They have had it too easy for too long. There has to be more responsible as owners. The fact is too many drivers are trying to make too many trips and driving too fast and breaking traffic rules. It has to stop. Too many owners support it currently.

Comment

Thats the point of the law, owners should try and get it from the driver, and the issue they want to address is owners liability !

I can hire a man who has 200 to 1000 tickets because the law has not sanctioned him, being ticketed is different from being found guilty of a vehicular transgression, e.g I have a ticket before the courts now, it does not stop me from getting a driving job.How does an employer know how many tickets you have before the courts ,if you arent found guilty ?

Also drivers when hired build up tickets.

Dont equate irresponsible drivers with responsible owners, you are coming to a false positive conclusion.They are mutually exclusive meaning a responsible owner can hire a driver that is irresponsible unknowingly.

The fact that drivers are irresponsible does not mean that the law propposed is just.

That is the issue.It is madness as I understand this law basically they want owners to do the government job like you suggested try and get "it" from the drivers , which is money to cover ticket cost, at what peril to my life ,literally !
              Last edited by Sir X; November 21, 2018, 10:46 AM.

Comment

The solution is simple have drivers get a clean stamp or certificate at the department of motor vehicles to show to owners before vehicle can be rented and then make it annually.

Owners should be able to produce it, to not be liable for any tickets,if they cant then they should be held liable.The result is all would be in compliance and the bad ones would be rooted out.

Reasonable.

Comment

As a owner of a public transportation vechicle, would you hire anyone with 5 pending tickets before the courts to transport your passengers?

a lot of owners are gangbusters in the culture and encourage it. Some are even policemen and women who won transport. Sometimes the cop can't prove who is driving the transport but have a license plate so you as the owner should know who is driving your transport at that time.

The fact is the system is so corrupt and government while they can be comprise have to do everything to get rid of these bad drivers out of the system or nothing will change as long as owners continue to employ them. Owners can deduct the money from the driver's pay and then they either will do better. You notice the owners are not talking about obeying the law and a concerted effort to get rid of these bad drivers?

Maybe if they come up with a sensible plan and serious about moving forward maybe the minister will listen, but something have to change bad. Police lockup man with 700 tickets and a bet when him come back out he is on the road as driver again, with or without a license.

Comment

We agree are on this .....Maybe if they come up with a sensible plan and serious about moving forward maybe the minister will listen

But why should the burden be on owners to come up with a sensible plan ?

I will leave it at that .

Comment

The reason they come up with a sensible plan is, it is affecting them and everybody know many owners have failed to be responsible. There is some responsibility that comes with owning a public passenger transport.

The free for all shouldn't continue, the current system can't stand. The owners doing to have to work with authorities to get things going, not to hide bad drivers.
                      Last edited by Assasin; November 21, 2018, 11:57 AM.

Comment

So its not affecting the government,shouldn't they come up with a sensible plan ?

They are the final arbitrators of any dispute !

Comment

the government came up with a plan that most people are satisfied with except some taxi operators so it is upon them to defend their interest and comprise on this. It is in their best interest, the free for all can't continue.

Comment

Yeah but you said sensible,who says the government plan is sensible and who says some are satisfied,who says its in the taxi drivers interest ?

How can you come to such conclusions based on wild speculations, We agree the free for all cant continue.

Anyway nice talk.

Comment

Most people in Jamaica seems to support this and some taxi owners do as well. It will affect careless owners the most.

The policy is a total road policy, not just to taxi driver, somthing many Jamaicans have asked for, for a long time and only one or two clause the taxi drivers are talking about, it also address using cellphones, and many other things.

Comment

Working...
                              X