RBSC

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does Upper/Middle Class mean affluent...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does Upper/Middle Class mean affluent...

in Jamaica? I mean I grew up in what one would refer to an upper class neighbourhood but I would not consider my family to be affluent. Whenever someone from the upper/middle class does something like this people talk about how him have money so blah blah blah blah. I read reports that said that both of his parents are doctors and now it turn out that they are "entrepreneurs" I mean because yuh live in a decent neighborhood nuh mean seh yuh stinking rich

yuh brown?

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Affluent relative to most of the country , yes.
      "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

Same ting. From yuh brown yuh rich. **************** I used to think the same thing bout people before the Observer started profiling these families in the Business section. I went to school with the Melville's of Chukka Cove fame and had dem off as some dollars yute. Well it tuns out that about that time dem was nearly on dem face

Comment

Your family just happened along this house in an upper class neighbourhood! Happens to me and my friends all the while. But, like you, we are not wealthy!

Sound like a conscience problem. No need to make excuses, Brickie. You are the typical uptown yout who finds dancehall and becomes an expert in it because you see where it can make you money. Nutten nuh wrong wid dat! From long time is di wealthy Chinese among us that pushed the music of the street.

Just checking, nuh Hillel yuh did go?

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

rhatid!!!! yuh live an' yuh larn!

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Everything is relative, Brickie. We can't all be as rich as the Melville's or as the Stewarts. But...

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Well a same way everybody who live a jungle a criminal. which one you want?
                • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Now, that one is true!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Exactly, it is all relative.

I remember I was in a restaurant in mid-town Manhatten a few years ago, and a few young ladies were at the table beside us talking about some guy one of them met.

Then she made a comment like "...but he only makes about 200K a year or so"

Now my first reaction was to think this girl is a straight-up gold-digger, but then I thought well maybe she is a Wall Street/Financial District type who is used to dating hedge fund guys who make 200K in a bad week, maybe she herself makes 7 figures, so in her world that guy is barely getting by.
                    "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

Well a same way everybody who live a jungle a criminal. which one you want?
                      • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

You must have been gobsmacked!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Originally posted by Mosiah View Post
                          Your family just happened along this house in an upper class neighbourhood! Happens to me and my friends all the while. But, like you, we are not wealthy!

Sound like a conscience problem. No need to make excuses, Brickie. You are the typical uptown yout who finds dancehall and becomes an expert in it because you see where it can make you money. Nutten nuh wrong wid dat! From long time is di wealthy Chinese among us that pushed the music of the street.

Just checking, nuh Hillel yuh did go?
                          I went to Priory and my father bought his house when everybody was fleeing Jamaica in the 70's and getting rid of property for a song. Another thing is that he focused on education before material things so instead of buying the new BMW or taking trips to Europe he preferred to pay for a private education for his children. I mean we weren't poor but by no means were we rich.

Comment

snicker

Priory..snicker. Made Campion look like it deh pon Spanish Town Road!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

You ever asked the helper if she think unoo have money?

Come now Bricky. Maybe among your peers you were not affluent but I would daresay your family was easily in the top 10% of income earners in the island.

Comment

Working...
                              X