Changing the perception of Tourism in Jamaica

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Changing the perception of Tourism in Jamaica

A group of doctors operating under a lease-to-buy agreement with Somerset Falls owner, Andrew Azar, plans on transforming a section of the Portland-based tourist attraction into a wellness resort and spa.

Construction of the wellness retreat has already commenced by Delta Wellness Spa Limited. The Jamaica Observer understands that the lessee hopes to build out 50 rooms in the hills of Somerset Falls as part of the redevelopment and will also rebrand the tourist hot spot to reflect its new line of services.

http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/busin...8?profile=1056

Malaysia sees well over half a million medical tourists — most from around Asia — each year due to the country’s developed infrastructure and low costs. Malaysia has built medical facilities that rival Singapore at much lower price points. The country has set up agencies to attract hundreds of thousands of medical tourists for procedures for anything from burns to heart conditions. The general consensus is that, as Singapore gets more expensive, Kuala Lumpur is picking up the slack with facilities that are just as good. English is more widely spoken in Malaysia than in Thailand, and infrastructure is better than countries like India.

Like other countries in Asia, Malaysia saw medical tourism as a way to diversify its economy during the Asian financial crisis. Prince Court Medical Center, where I easily saved $2,000 when I got sick in Kuala Lumpur, was ranked the number one hospital for “patients without borders” by the Medical Travel Quality Alliance. Malaysian hospitals offer services such as in vitro fertilization at around one-fifth the price of Western facilities, as well as offering sophisticated treatment for burn victims. Malaysian hospitals also offer total physicals that would cost several thousand dollars in the US, including blood work, for a few hundred dollars.
    Hey .. look at the bright side .... at least you're not a Liverpool fan! - Lazie 2/24/10 Paul Marin -19 is one thing, 20 is a whole other matter. It gets even worse if they win the UCL. *groan*. 05/18/2011.MU fans naah cough, but all a unuh a vomit?-Lazie 1/11/2015

I think JA would have to focus on the areas that require lower startup capital like injury rehabilitation and addiction recovery. That could be a start and grow from there.

The high end medical procedures require serious capital outlay which we probably wont attract in the short term. Lee Chin had this in mind when he purchased Medical Associates years ago but didn't get very far with it.

I am in total agreement on the under-utilization of our cultural brand though, that is largely untapped. We dont have to wait for the big outlay, we can start smaller projects.

I visited the Peter Tosh museum last weekend. It is in a small area and nothing spectacular, but an enjoyable way to spend 60-90 minutes if you are in Kingston for a day and are a reggae music fan. I would love to see many more options like that in the capital.

Then of course there is the big one, Port Royal.
    "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

and those are the little things we have to do to hold more tourist dollars. I think over the last 5 years a few things have been added to attract more tourist. We have to put a little more effort into this.

Jamaica is heading to about 6 million tourist annually, I don't think we need much more but we have to find a way to make them spend more and enjoy themselves to come back.
      • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Working...
      X