RBSC

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Prostitution: Legalise it and regulate it!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Prostitution: Legalise it and regulate it!

Let me start by declaring that I am a Christian. I was born into a Christian family. As a baby my parents had me baptised in an Anglican Church and I was raised in it during my early childhood years. Currently, I am affiliated with another religious community and hold the teachings of the Bible dear to my heart.

When I consider that prostitution is an old profession that has been around for thousands of years I find it remarkable that it continues to survive notwithstanding its opposition by governments, Christians, et al. The continuation of this trade tells me that this type of economic service is in demand and that these demands are being met by members of the human family called prostitutes.

Not only would governments earn revenue but they would impact positively on health programmes. Revenues would flow to governments from earnings and annual licences, which would be valid only if quarterly fitness or wellness certificates have not expired.

https://www.jamaicaobserver.com/opin...3?profile=1096
    Hey .. look at the bright side .... at least you're not a Liverpool fan! - Lazie 2/24/10 Paul Marin -19 is one thing, 20 is a whole other matter. It gets even worse if they win the UCL. *groan*. 05/18/2011.MU fans naah cough, but all a unuh a vomit?-Lazie 1/11/2015

You persist in pushing Jamaican women to engage in prostitution as a business model. You're on record as promoting the entire St Thomas parish as a sex zone for tourists. This is despicable. The fact that you find and parrot a fellow brain-addled moron with a similar view doesn't make the view any less dumb.

I understand that many will support anything that makes money - but as a development model sex as a business is not a winning 21st century formula. So even on that practical basis it's a moronic idea.

What drives development nowadays is the acquisition of appropriate KNOWLEDGE and its application in modern product or service development/maintenance/transit/sale. It is the rapid and comprehensive increase in Jamaica's knowledge base that will assure real & lasting prosperity - Not tourism, sex-trafficking nor trinket-selling.

Given Jamaica's (and Black people as a whole) experience with the "business model" of economic exploitation and grotesque sexual violation by Europeans since the slavery era.. the idea of an apparently sensible Jamaican promoting sex trafficking as an economic "development model" is telling:

Lack of awareness of history and its meaning - Low self-esteem - Low expectations of Black people - A backward & mercenary approach to development.. etc etc Pick yuh choice... I just choose moron

However everyone is entitled to their beliefs - no matter how retarded the beliefs may be
    Last edited by Don1; June 6, 2019, 09:38 AM.
    TIVOLI: THE DESTRUCTION OF JAMAICA'S EVIL EMPIRE

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

D1 - Xposing Dummies since 2007

Comment

Don 1, chuss mi I have tried lecturing this married Rasta man, of which he has 6 girl pickney, mi nuh know Iyah, its a labarite disease,it inna im genes.
      THERE IS ONLY ONE ONANDI LOWE!

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.

Comment

Originally posted by Sir X View Post
        Don 1, chuss mi I have tried lecturing this married Rasta man, of which he has 6 girl pickney, mi nuh know Iyah, its a labarite disease,it inna im genes.
        😂 ✅

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

Comment

I guess you support outlawing abortions also....as if that will stop the practice. Before abortion became legal, many a poor young women would die going to quacks, or sometimes they would use wire hangers and try to do it themselves.

As Elizabeth Warren said, "I've lived in an America where abortions were illegal and understand this: Women still got abortions,” Warren, a U.S. senator from Massachusetts, told host MSNBC's Chris Hayes. “Now, some got lucky on what happened and some got really unlucky on what happened."

Warren asserted that the Hyde Amendment disproportionately affects poor women.

Women of means will still have access to abortions," she said at Fort Wayne event. "Who won’t will be poor women, will be working women, will be women who can’t afford to take off three days from work, will be very young women who have been raped, will be women who have been molested by someone in their own family.”

The same principles apply to prostitution. The practice will not stop and no amount of bible-beating opposition will change man's desires. I presume that you would prefer to have these poor young women continue to sell themselves in some dirty, dark and dangerous alleyway rather than in a clean and controlled environment. Legal prostitution works well in Amsterdam, Nevada and other places. There, sex workers have rights, are protected and pay taxes.

We share different opinions on what Jamaica needs to drive its development. Unlike you, I don't see the emphasis of Tourism as the main driver as being mutually exclusive with your argument of Knowledge acquisition. I see them as being complimentary to development. The issue is that you see Tourism as demeaning and as exploitation whereas I don't. My initial opposition to your thesis still remains the same. That is, "Transition from an economy based on low-skill/low value-add activities like tourism to one led by higher value-adding knowledge industries suitable for 21st century progress."

Originally posted by Jangle View Post
          This is not a practical solution to Jamaica's economic problems. It would take several generations and a strong commitment from consecutive governments for this to happen and for this to become a major foreign exchange earner. I believe that diversifying and developing our tourism product is the way to go. The government, through the Ministry of Tourism, should invest more in our culture which is grossly undervalued and under-appreciated by the people in power. Investing in our culture and building out Kingston from the waterfront inwards, will reap more immediate and bigger financial benefits than trying to transition the economy from tourism. Jamaica is uniquely located to act as a transitional hub between North and South America. By developing Kingston, adding more rooms (and I'm not just talking resort-style hotels), expanding Norman Manley Airport, i.e. building out into the sea, building another international airport at Vernam Field, will dramatically increase the number of visitors, both stop-overs and longer staying, to our shores. Increasing the size of our airports and adding another will increase revenues due increased airlines flying to our shores.
          Since we started this debate a little over a year ago, Jamaica's economy grew about 2%. Industries recording the strongest growth during the year were mining and quarrying up 32.5 per cent; agriculture, forestry and fishing up 4.1 per cent; construction up 2.8 per cent; and hotels and restaurant up 1.7 per cent.
          Hey .. look at the bright side .... at least you're not a Liverpool fan! - Lazie 2/24/10 Paul Marin -19 is one thing, 20 is a whole other matter. It gets even worse if they win the UCL. *groan*. 05/18/2011.MU fans naah cough, but all a unuh a vomit?-Lazie 1/11/2015

Comment

Apples and oranges,abortion is a womans right to control her body for health reasons, prostitution is anyone selling themselves for monetary gain.

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.

Comment

Thanks for the insightful and unique definition.

Comment

For me, abortion remains murder even if they legalize it.
                Agree with Don 1 as it pertains to legalizing prostitution, if it is legal then let us incorporate it in our school curriculum, and not bash a 5 years old child for saying that is what she wants to be when she grows up.

Comment

Originally posted by Jangle View Post
                  Thanks for the insightful and unique definition.
                  At least it seems you can understand the difference between abortion and sex trafficking for money. That's a start

Congrats!

Comment

I guess you support outlawing abortions also....as if that will stop the practice. Before abortion became legal, many a poor young women would die going to quacks, or sometimes they would use wire hangers and try to do it themselves.

As Elizabeth Warren said, "I've lived in an America where abortions were illegal and understand this: Women still got abortions,” Warren, a U.S. senator from Massachusetts, told host MSNBC's Chris Hayes. “Now, some got lucky on what happened and some got really unlucky on what happened."

Warren asserted that the Hyde Amendment disproportionately affects poor women.

Women of means will still have access to abortions," she said at Fort Wayne event. "Who won’t will be poor women, will be working women, will be women who can’t afford to take off three days from work, will be very young women who have been raped, will be women who have been molested by someone in their own family.”
                    You conflate prostitution with abortion. This is really moronic

The same principles apply to prostitution. The practice will not stop and no amount of bible-beating opposition will change man's desires. I presume that you would prefer to have these poor young women continue to sell themselves in some dirty, dark and dangerous alleyway rather than in a clean and controlled environment. Legal prostitution works well in Amsterdam, Nevada and other places. There, sex workers have rights, are protected and pay taxes.
                    No. I'd rather they be re-educated and rehabilitated and that others considering your preferred options of prostitution be deterred and led to a more valuable life.

Your vision of Jamaican women selling themselves in a vast sex industry is obscene and reflects a rotted consciousness

We share different opinions on what Jamaica needs to drive its development. Unlike you, I don't see the emphasis of Tourism as the main driver as being mutually exclusive with your argument of Knowledge acquisition. I see them as being complimentary to development. The issue is that you see Tourism as demeaning and as exploitation whereas I don't. My initial opposition to your thesis still remains the same. That is, "Transition from an economy based on low-skill/low value-add activities like tourism to one led by higher value-adding knowledge industries suitable for 21st century progress."
                    You are entitled to your backward thinking and being stuck in the mid-20th century. Not to mention having very low aspirations for JA. You would fit in very well in Alabama and similar backwaters

Since we started this debate a little over a year ago, Jamaica's economy grew about 2%. Industries recording the strongest growth during the year were mining and quarrying up 32.5 per cent; agriculture, forestry and fishing up 4.1 per cent; [B]construction up 2.8 per cent; and hotels and restaurant up 1.7 per cent.
                    This info is meaningless. In economics there are concepts of "growth" and "development". They are not the same. Until you understand the difference and also understand what the 21st century is about it's pointless to discuss such issues with you. Mi might as well juss bun yuh out intamede

Suggest you take Development Economics 101
                    Last edited by Don1; June 6, 2019, 02:25 PM.

Comment

Shouting an opinion doesn't change it into a fact. We have a difference of opinions, however, descending into the derogatory name calling diminishes your level of intelligence in arguing your points.

Comment

When it pertains to Jamaica's development...I get blunt..with no apologies

The majority of Jamaicans have backward and illogical views on development similar to yours. It's extremely annoying coming from people with some education and exposure. Den wuss...yuh come wid promoting a prostitution industry

As people think...so they are. Backward thinking is the main reason the country is and remains backward. Dat affi get call out and bun out. Suh hush
                        Last edited by Don1; June 6, 2019, 03:59 PM.

Comment

Even if yuh say a murder,dat ah between she and har God.Mi nuh believe in it ,but a fi dem womb.

Comment

The fact that it is not legalize doesn't mean it is not in full swing.

Backroad a Portmore where not many tourist is going and Backroad a Mobay are prime examples.

I am in the middle on this but it has to be properly regulated and encourage people to change their lives. Legalizing it doesn't mean Jamaicans are going jump into prostitution. If the law is the only thing holding us it is a sad case.
                            • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

As usual you miss the point. The issue is not whether prostitution exists now or not. It exists and will always exist.

The proposal is the creation of a legalized prostitution industry...Going as far as dedicating an entire parish to the sex for money trade. Only an addled brain could support such madness in JA.

If prostitution is legalized it will undoubtedly expand massively especially given Jamaica's corrupt and lawless environment.

Given also the horrible education shitstem and negative job prospects (for desirable jobs - not servants or trinket sellers) nuff young girls would leave school to become prostitutes. Why stay in front of teachers when you can use your front to make a multiple of what teachers make????

Jamaica would become a global magnet for the depraved and would be even more overrun by perverts and predators than it is now. Man a chat bout Holland - Those folks happen to obey laws.. Jamaicans are the opposite.

Some seem to have the insane idea that legal prostitution in JA would be subject to "rules". The only rule such a thing would be subject to is the LAW OF THE JUNGLE. That's what Jamaica largely lives by.

Nuff police, politicians & dons would be running prostitution rings and protection rackets and getting fat off that. Just as they run illegal route taxis or drugs now.

Legalized prostitution would assure the increased moral decay of an already profoundly immoral/amoral country.

Y'all need your heads examined to even contemplate such stupidity - much less to support it. This proposal proves the adage: A little knowledge is a dangerous thing
                              Last edited by Don1; June 7, 2019, 07:42 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X