Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• J’cans Get No Respect From MLS

Former Players Believe Locals Aren’t Treated Fairly In US Top League

Several former Jamaican international and Major League Soccer (MLS) players believe that footballers from the island do not get the respect they deserve from clubs in North America’s top-flight professional league.

Tyrone Marshall, who played over 10 seasons in the MLS, argues that Jamaica’s recent international accomplishments and the impact the players have had mean more respect should be shown to them by the league’s administrators.

“I don’t think Jamaican players get the notoriety or respect we deserve (in MLS). We still have that stigma associated with Caribbean players that we are not as impactful in training or games consistently, which I beg to differ,” Marshall told The Gleaner.

“Jamaican players have a whole different element to the modern football. Leon Bailey, for example is an outstanding winger with pace, creativity and the ability to make the difference in one-on-one (situations), from free kicks and from different aspects, but his natural ability is speed and you can’t teach that. MLS can tap into the Jamaican market but for some reason, it hasn’t, they are bypassing us (Jamaicans) and looking to Central and South America,” Marshall complained.

http://jamaica-gleaner.com/article/s...treated-fairly
    Hey .. look at the bright side .... at least you're not a Liverpool fan! - Lazie 2/24/10 Paul Marin -19 is one thing, 20 is a whole other matter. It gets even worse if they win the UCL. *groan*. 05/18/2011.MU fans naah cough, but all a unuh a vomit?-Lazie 1/11/2015

Can't believe the number drop to 4. Good thing have some players willing to look at other avenues but I will tell Jamaican talent don't be comfortable with USL and other leagues in the US, it must be a stepping stone.
    • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Interesting, how did we get here?

Comment

Ahhh bouyyy!!!!

Originally posted by Jangle
        Former Players Believe Locals Aren’t Treated Fairly In US Top League

Several former Jamaican international and Major League Soccer (MLS) players believe that footballers from the island do not get the respect they deserve from clubs in North America’s top-flight professional league.

Tyrone Marshall, who played over 10 seasons in the MLS, argues that Jamaica’s recent international accomplishments and the impact the players have had mean more respect should be shown to them by the league’s administrators.

“I don’t think Jamaican players get the notoriety or respect we deserve (in MLS). We still have that stigma associated with Caribbean players that we are not as impactful in training or games consistently, which I beg to differ,” Marshall told The Gleaner.

“Jamaican players have a whole different element to the modern football. Leon Bailey, for example is an outstanding winger with pace, creativity and the ability to make the difference in one-on-one (situations), from free kicks and from different aspects, but his natural ability is speed and you can’t teach that. MLS can tap into the Jamaican market but for some reason, it hasn’t, they are bypassing us (Jamaicans) and looking to Central and South America,” Marshall complained.

http://jamaica-gleaner.com/article/s...treated-fairly

An ah we built it you nuh.In the 90s up to now we were paid peanuts when compare to others. is it the Concacaf
        USA/Canada rivalry? V cfu teams
        Jamaica you mite get a Petroleum well with
        United Oil by 1.31.26;You also has a NNPC option with the Abuja accord from 2022.What
        happens then I don't know.A Petrol Well is
        Probably forthcoming...

Comment

Shouldn't be surprised. Over 3 years ago I pointed out that the number of Jamaicans and Caribbean players, in the MLS, were falling, and the league stopped any serious scouting in the Caribbean. The number of college players getting drafted and signed has also fallen. During this time, MLS has moved most of their scouting resources to South America, and most of the league's international players are now from there.

Comment

There is currently not a lot of Jamaicans in the top college ranks either so they will not be in the draft. I can remember not so long ago we had about 3 Jamaicans in decent draft position. Now I don't even see Jamaican players playing at top colleges. They are mostly in the USL and others heading to Europe.
            • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

The MLS Draft is even loosing it's importance. For the last 2 years, there have been some calls to scrap it.
              2018: 11 times teams declined to use their draft picks (Rounds 3 & 4)
              2019: 21 times teams declined to use their draft picks (Rounds 3 & 4)
              2020: 27 times teams declined to use their draft picks (Rounds 3 & 4)

*If you check, you'll also see that a lot of the draft picks don't get signed to MLS contracts. They either end up signed to MLS "reserve teams", that play in USL, or independent USL teams.

*Should also state that MLS has also been signing more European & African players.

Comment

Don't think they will scrap it though because of the American culture. It may become more like Baseball draft where picks go to the feeder teams. Watch a few of the ATL United 2 games and over the last year at least 5 or 6 get some playing time on the big team. They play close to my house and the price is ok. Most of their draft pick ended up there.

Comment

Working...
                X