• Show
Clear All

• Schoolboy football is not player development:Machel Turner

Schoolboy football is not player development
    Published on December 31, 2019
    Machel TurnerStatus
    Schoolboy football is not player development
    Sports Management Professional

The 2019 ISSA Schoolboy Football season recently ended after providing the majority of the country with its chance to see the future of Jamaican football display their skills. Congratulations to all the trophy winners this season- Clarendon College, Jamaica College, Kingston College, and especially the first- time schoolboy trophy winners B. B. Coke High School and St. Catherine High School.

As the season progressed there were a number of thoughts that swirled through my head which I felt needed to be discussed in relation to the development of high- level football players in Jamaica. The extremely disappointing showing of the national U-23 squad in the second round of Olympic Qualifying with a team full of former stars at the schoolboy football level just months before the start of the season served as a background.

JFF’s mandate to develop talent, not ISSA’s

In previous articles on other platforms I have called for a re- think of the schoolboy football competition format in a bid to improve the level of all the players but especially the best players, as competition is an integral part of player development along with the coaching they receive. However, the fact is that ISSA’s mandate is not to develop footballers or the sport in Jamaica. They are simply organising a competition amongst high schools across the nation as an extra- curricular activity.

Instead, the job of player development is that of the Jamaica Football Federation (JFF) who must:

Educate coaches so that they can teach players skills and guide their learning and execution of the various aspects of playing football well
    Implement programmes for player development and talent identification
    Operate (or oversee) competitions from grassroots through to the elite level of the game that allow players opportunites to test their skills and improve them Unfortunately, the organisation has neglected many parts of its duty for too long. As a result, players have not been put in the right environments for them to maximise their talents and make us what a lot of us in Jamaica (for a variety of reasons) want to be- a GOOD football country.

Long Term Athlete Development

According to the Long- Term Athlete Development model adopted by governing bodies of sport across the world to guide their player development strategies, the 14-18 age range is where an increased level of tactical, psychological and physical training is introduced, equipping players with the attributes they need to compete on the professional stage if they so desire.

The LTAD model also shows that at this stage of development, players’ competition time should increase as they are playing more consistently all year round. Increased competition time exposes them to a wide variety of pressures and competitive situations which force them to constantly use and improve the skills they have learnt so far.

Unfortunately, there are some elements of schoolboy football that run contrary to this advice developed by professionals through various studies.

Two points to correct

Firstly, if development at this stage should lead to increased tactical knowledge, the consistent use of sweepers by schoolboy football teams is a major problem. This outdated tactic is no longer in use in modern football when teams play with 4 defenders and is not used in our national team. So why is it being taught to young Jamaican defenders in the most critical phase of their sporting development on such a wide scale?

The sweeper practice is so rampant that there are teams which would appear to set out with a flat back 4 but do have one of their central defenders play with a deeper starting position than the other as a de- facto sweeper.

Now the majority of the questions on this front have to be answered by the coach educators and coaches who seemingly are unwilling to spend time teaching defensive concepts properly so that the need for a bailout defender is not necessary. However, I will also argue that if the JFF was operating a competition with the intended outcome to develop certain profiles of players to fit a clear football philosophy they would be able to influence how that competition operates tactically. This has been done in bigger countries than ours.

It is not a leap to make a correlation between this poor tactical and mental training at a crucial development stage and the drought of quality centre back options available to coach Theodore Whitmore for the Reggae Boyz. It would be interesting to know the Technical Director and Technical Committee’s interpretation of that.

The length of the season is another factor that goes against LTAD guidance and likely hinders player development. More competition across longer periods provides more opportunities for skills, techniques, tactics to be understood and executed more competently.

It is for this reason that in serious footballing countries the youth players play in 8-10 months leagues. We are competing against countries with competition frameworks specifically aimed at developing the best players while our best players are taking part in a glorified extracurricular school competition.

How do we plan to compete consistently when such a chopped- up competition structure is behind standard practice amongst our competitors?

New competitions

Issues like these mean we are stuck in a place where the main source of competition at the most critical stage of player development is not fit for player development. The necessary solution is the creation of new national competitions (U16 and U18) for the island’s very best players (300 or so while the others continue on the SBF stream). They would be found through a competent Talent Identification network island- wide. However the necessary force needed to make such a radical change is outside of the capacity of the JFF leadership who will not be able to withstand the pressure from some quarters.

The fact is that if we are to reach our collective desire as a footballing nation, the potential of young players has to be unlocked more consistently. The integration of international best practice is necessary to develop and operate programs and competitions that make such an outcome a priority.

Otherwise let’s just stop the pretending and say that we are simply content with participating in international football and not actually competing at any serious level.
    THERE IS ONLY ONE ONANDI LOWE!

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.

Solid article with good points but nothing particularly new.

Again- Those who proclaim that school football is the “reason” for Jamaica’s poor level of play at the national level are irrational dummies. School ball - run by school principals - is neither designed nor resourced to create international grade players. It’s obviously not a national development system but a recreational exercise played over 3 months or less.

It’s obviously the role of the JFF to create and run a national development program - which it has comprehensively FAILED to do since its founding - so it DEFAULTS to school football.

This is so obvious yet dummies cannot comprehend the simple logic. I guess that characteristic explains why they’re dummies

D1 - Exposing Dummies since 2007
    Last edited by Don1; January 1, 2020, 11:11 AM.
    TIVOLI: THE DESTRUCTION OF JAMAICA'S EVIL EMPIRE

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

D1 - Xposing Dummies since 2007

Comment

I remember you made said points years ago when we thrashed it out,even similar interventions were suggested.

To me anyone blaming school boy football, is a football dunce.

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.

Comment

Kids play football for 4 months for school and you telling me ISSA shouldn't play any role in development?

The fact is JFF and ISSA have to work together to develop these youths. Look at Track anf field and see how much effort is placed on development.

You want tell me ISSA just a deal with kick ball?

JFF currently have no development plan for the youths.

It got from bad to worse. All the youth coaches are no longer with JFF on a full time basis but only called as needed. How can you even start planning like that?
        • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Read the article again,where did it state ISSA should not play a role in development ,all the article stated was whose responsibility it is to develop jamaican football.

It further stated what that responsibility entails, furthermore it states ISSA responsibility as per football.i.e recreational!

The implication is dont blame ISSA if the JFF is not leading.

Comment

ISSA is doing nothing for development. A few schools are but ISSA don't do much.

JFF have overall responsibility but they ISSA need to do more. They are independent of the JFF. What stop them from running development camps for players? ISSA is only concern with old boy bragging and as long as certain school win it is ok with them. I don't care what the article is implying, ISSA can play a much larger role of developing the kids. These kids play 4 months and summer training with schools, and that is 5 month of the year they can't train or represent anybody else.

" simply organising a competition amongst high schools across the nation as an extra- curricular activity."

If you are suppose to develop players that can't work. etra-curricular activity? KMT to rathid. Is that how they see track as well?
            • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

The article is spot on . It’s not Issa to develop players , it’s the role of the Jeff and directly the parish FA. No where else in the world school develop players .

Comment

My issue with ISSA is they put the youths at harm with an unforgiven sardine schedule for these glorified recreational cups. They work these kids like horses to take in money.

They should at least extend the schedule to a 6 months at least,they could do 7 ,start august and finish in February.

Also read between the lines as to what he is saying about coaching,some of these coaches ,coach RSPL teams,who compromises the JFF technical team?

Tappa stated in a interview he meets with the RSPL coaches to implement a philosophy,well it's either they arent getting it or its antiquated .

The JFF has ample political issues to prod ISSA to make changes on the basis of the youth health.Same with the technical committee

Comment

The fact is Issa could also run their own coaching camps. The schedule is brutal for some. Most of the schools are out of in the first or second round. Another thing is the youths are not prepared year round for this. They are give 1 month prep in the summer at best so it make it harder on their body.

As I have said before the technical committee is the main reason our football is where it is today but you choose to ignore it. These are the people who make the technical decisions and if they are not good enough then it reflects on the whole team.

Comment

ISSA have a role as well. When the players die on the field playing cups because they are not properly prepared it is ISSA problem. DCUP and Manning cup is not extra curricular activity. Extra curricular activity take place on the school ground. Once kids are competing against other school it should be seen different.

Comment

Mek sense Sass yuh off on yuh glory hole campaign,explain to all how you can seperate the technical committee from the JFF administrating football.If the JFF is at fault,so is the technical committee.They are inseperable,synonomous.

You really want to accuse me of ignoring it,or would you like to clarify your dumb statement.

As for ISSA running its own coaching camp,why should they its a recreational sport,you dont even have to be licensed to coach a high school football team,therefore as the article stated the JFF need to lead,take hold or charge.

Comment

Leave the arguement alone,please. For your sake and the forums sanity.

Comment

there is no recreational soccer that compete against other school.

If it is PE or house football or corner league it is recreational. If you have to compete against others then it is not rec game.

If you read my former post I told you the JFF exec should not be in technical matters. My problem with the JFF is the administration of the local football. They need to appoint good technical staff and judge them based on what they do.

Comment

again it shows your knowledge of the sport. Is Track and field also recreational?

Comment

Boss happy new year, man nuh ave nuh time fi argue wid mad man in 2020.

Comment

Working...
                              X