Tourism : Not a dependable driver

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tourism : Not a dependable driver

The novel coronavirus has proven me wrong. I have touted the need for Jamaica to move away from being a producer and exporter of samples — a little bit of this and a little bit of that — and to, instead, fully embrace tourism as the country's economic saviour. In pursuing this line of thinking, I denigrated the National Industrial Policy (NIP). Published April 25, 1996, the NIP lists tourism, along with entertainment and sports, as a sector among equals, instead of the hub around which the other sectors — namely services, technology, agriculture and manufacture — revolve. To me that was sacrilege; doing the wrong things well. I have supported a mono-product economy based on tourism.

http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/opini...1?profile=1096
    THERE IS ONLY ONE ONANDI LOWE!

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.

What is dependable?
    farming?
    Bauxite and mining?
    Oil and mining?
    Manufacturing?
    Banking
    Technology?? There is a lot of grave yard for technology.

That is why we need as many stream of income as we can.

Bird can't fly on one wing.

One thing we know for sure is Tourism will eventually bounce back.
    • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Jamaica is an island, and as such, is surrounded by water, yet we have droughts, water water everywhere but not a drop to drink.
      Why are we so fascinated by earnings that ends up lining the pockets of a selected few?
      Agriculture and Manufacture are hindered because of a refusal to invest in technology.
      The reason is our leaders prefer short term plans as opposed to long term ones for reelection purposes.
      Why is Mobay a death trap given tourism is vibrant there?

Comment

Originally posted by Rockman View Post
        This is an excellent question for which people who're in love with Jamaica's low skill/extremely low value-adding tourism industry cannot find a satisfactory answer.

Of course the answer is just that - a low skill & low value adding industry cannot lead the JA economy anywhere... except in circles

We need a massive crash program to upgrade Jamaica's human capital so we can join progressive countries able to leverage this AI/Robotics/Automation Age within 10-15 years.

Tourism is totally unable to be a significant driver towards that goal, as I've been stating here since 2007.

Had my advice and example of implementing advanced STEM education been followed massively since 2009...JA would be well on its way to a Knowledge Economy. Not a deadbeat one dependent on, first remittances i.e. charity then tourism
        Last edited by Don1; August 9, 2020, 11:10 AM.
        TIVOLI: THE DESTRUCTION OF JAMAICA'S EVIL EMPIRE

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

D1 - Xposing Dummies since 2007

Comment

The main thing that hindered manufacturing in Jamaica is FINSAC crisis in the 90s. Closed most of our manufacturing company.

Farming is affected by weather, such as hurricane, storms, drought and stealing but lack of funding and investment. Manufacturing needs technology but in Jamaica in needs farming and other industries such as tourism to make "Jamaican products" and create demand.
          • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Originally posted by Assasin View Post
            The main thing that hindered manufacturing in Jamaica is FINSAC crisis in the 90s. Closed most of our manufacturing company.

Farming is affected by weather, such as hurricane, storms, drought and stealing but lack of funding and investment. Manufacturing needs technology but in Jamaica in needs farming and other industries such as tourism to make "Jamaican products" and create demand.
            This is a jumble of words in search of meaning
            TIVOLI: THE DESTRUCTION OF JAMAICA'S EVIL EMPIRE

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

D1 - Xposing Dummies since 2007

Comment

Rock

Originally posted by Rockman View Post
              Jamaica is an island, and as such, is surrounded by water, yet we have droughts, water water everywhere but not a drop to drink.
              Why are we so fascinated by earnings that ends up lining the pockets of a selected few?
              Agriculture and Manufacture are hindered because of a refusal to invest in technology.
              The reason is our leaders prefer short term plans as opposed to long term ones for reelection purposes.

Better yet, why is Kingston a murder capital if tourism is a driver ?
              THERE IS ONLY ONE ONANDI LOWE!

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.

Comment

Japan economy shrinks at record rate

Japan’s economy shrank at annual rate of 27.8 per cent in April-June, the worst contraction on record, as the coronavirus pandemic slammed consumption and trade, according to government data released Monday.

The Cabinet Office reported that Japan’s preliminary seasonally adjusted real gross domestic product, or GDP, the sum of a nation’s goods and services, fell 7.8 per cent quarter on quarter.

http://jamaica-gleaner.com/article/b...ks-record-rate
                Hey .. look at the bright side .... at least you're not a Liverpool fan! - Lazie 2/24/10 Paul Marin -19 is one thing, 20 is a whole other matter. It gets even worse if they win the UCL. *groan*. 05/18/2011.MU fans naah cough, but all a unuh a vomit?-Lazie 1/11/2015

Comment

Working...
                X