RBSC

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Did Today Remind You of the 1997 Final Hex Day?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Did Today Remind You of the 1997 Final Hex Day?

.Final Day of WC HEX Qualifying...Jamaica had a 3 point lead over El Salvador,
    Jamaica hosting Mexico, and El Salvador at USA.

The Jamaican Embassy in Washington , with a more or less direct line to Rene Simoes' cell phone in Kingston, was monitoring the USA vs. El Salvador game.

USA was grimly hanging on to a 3-2 lead in the second half after jumping out to a 3-0 lead . Jamaica was locked in a 0-0 battle with Mexico. USA scored in the 85th minute to clinch the game at 4-2. I just happened to see that goal on ABC, then switched to the Jamaica game on Univision. Ten seconds later, the Jamaican bench was celebrating. In Spanish, the Andres Cantor announced the USA goal and Jamaica was five minutes from going to the World Cup.

Remember that year very well Bruce!!

I went to see the game at "the office" when Jamaica hosted El Salvador. I think that game ended in a draw.

Jamaica / Mexico also ended in a draw.

Great time great memories!!
    The only time TRUTH will hurt you...is if you ignore it long enough

HL

Comment

I should have mentioned that Jamaica had a three-point lead over El Salvador. If needed at least a draw to qualify, OR El Salvador failing to win over USA.

Comment

I also remember going down the block to my neighbor's hourse, an older Jamaica woman, at halftime, telling her to turn on Channel 63 and watch the second half of the Jamaica game, even if it was in Spanish, to see if Jamaica qualified for the World Cup.

Comment

Very Good days Bruce.

Those days Costa Rican team was rux. Panama did not exist on the football spectrum. (Not that Jamaica was that outstanding).

I also attended the WC 'send off game' at Giants Stadium against Dwight York and a Caribbean 11 team v. Jamaica. They lost that game . Fi-get that score.

Few years later, I met you at that same Giants Stadium venue.
          The only time TRUTH will hurt you...is if you ignore it long enough

HL

Comment

Working...
          X