Interesting article : A perceptive look at the future

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interesting article : A perceptive look at the future

Recently, the JLP appointed two post-retirement-age men to lead two important ministries that affect youth (Mike Henry, 85 years old, to the Ministry of Labour and Social Security; and Karl Samuda, 78 years old, to the Ministry of Education, Youth and Information). Many mature Jamaicans ignored it, but the youth around me immediately started quarrelling that the JLP is heading down the same path as the PNP in their relationship with them. In 120 recent interviews with young people 51 (43 per cent) listed this as a problem they have with the JLP. Concurrently, 62 (52 per cent) made it clear that the PNP should not rely on them to rescue them in this upcoming election. Consequently, 29 (24 per cent) of the youth expressed with certainty that they will sell their vote to the higher bidder in the upcoming election – “as they are all the same”. The youth who described the two parties as equally bad also stressed the string of scandals under successive leadership – from ‘Trafigura’ through ‘Manatt’ to the billions of oil losses at Petrojam.

The information gathered from these young people in the qualitative studies suggest that successive governments continue to ignore the core issues of the youth – economics, education, justice and safety – at their peril. As this election approaches, we wonder what the turnout will be. We can assume that it will be shaped by high youth apathy and COVID-19 threat to the aged ‘loyalists’, who normally get up at 5 a.m. to get ready to go and vote. A quarter of all persons over age 65 have already expressed that they will have to figure out if voting is worth the risk to their health. Many younger persons have explicitly told our team that they are not going to take their high-risk elders to vote.

http://jamaica-gleaner.com/article/c...and-punishment

You can just call justice and safety anti corruption issues . Corruption is interpeted as dishonest ,fraudulent conduct by those in power, typically involving bribery or a change in righteous character to debasement, you can see how a yearning for the oppositite of justice and safety would be on the youths list,because it is a threat to those aspirations.

Give the JLP a 2nd term to rob,thief and plunder, every day dem go a well, one day di bottom aguh drop out, we cannot give the PNP a new bucket at this juncture.
    THERE IS ONLY ONE ONANDI LOWE!

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.

Dont understand what you are saying. First of Social security and labour is not necessary anymore youth then it is senior. Its for everyone and I dont think you need to be 25 to run it. Same for education...

Comment

Its not what I am saying,its Herbert Gayle a social anthropologist and lecturer in the Department of Sociology, Psychology and Social Work at The University of the West Indies,he wrote the article ,I summarized a part of it.

I understand him.
      THERE IS ONLY ONE ONANDI LOWE!

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.

Comment

Working...
      X