Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heads, WICB to mediate in Chris Gayle issue

PARAMARIBO, Suriname:

A special prime ministerial sub committee on cricket will sit with the West Indies Cricket Board (WICB) and other relevant stakeholders in a bid to "mediate” in the bitter, ongoing dispute with the former Jamaica and West Indies captain Chris Gayle following strong representation from Jamaica Prime Minister Portia Simpson Miller and other leaders.

The move came late this evening at the end of two days of talks involving 11 of the 15 Caribbean Community leaders in Suriname at which the issue was discussed at length.

The Jamaican prime minister who has been very vocal on the need for the two parties to settle the issue, has received significant support from other leaders including Trinidad and Tobago's.

Trade bloc chairman and Suriname President Desi Bouterse told the closing press briefing that the committee has been mandated to review the state of play of the region’s leading sport especially as it relates to the issue of governance.

Bouterse also said leaders regarded as “very disrespectful”, public statements from the WICB that Simpson Miller was misinformed and ill-advised when she spoke on the Gayle impasse.

The leaders said, a set of recommendations in a recent report by former Prime Minister P.J. Patterson should be re-examined and implemented, particularly those relating to governance.

Gayle, widely considered as the leading regional batsman, has not played for the senior team for more than a year.

Meanwhile, Bouterse said the prime ministerial committee will also look at the Guyana cricket crisis where the government has moved to disband the board and accuse some executives of corruption, leading to mass resignations this week.

They have to find a way for both parties to save face... it can be done.
    Peter R

Comment

Mi nuh really like that. If the leaders have to interfere so why not fire the board and get a new board?

The fact is the board shouldn't be dealing with vengance. If Gayle do something then punish him but you can't punish the man indefinately and talk crap. The board needs to go.

I hope this is not the future of cricket where politicians are going to take the leading role in day to say situations. They could soon be picking the side.
      • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Why bother???? Especially given the continued ostracizing of Chris Gayle and the sneeky dissing of our PM and Jamaicans in general!!!

Isn't it time to part ways? I know Jamaica may not get admitted into the Test Arena for 10-15 years but I think it is worth the wait. Our players can still play Associate games against other Associate nations (Kenya, Ireland, Holland, Canada, USA, Afghanistan et. el) and get that international exposure.

Jamaica needs to upgrade parks like Lime Tree Oval, Chedwin and Jarret Park to add to the standard of Sabina Park and Greenfield (Trelawny). Then, the JCA must go out and do the necessary work to garner the required sponsorship and market the game accordingly.

It is time to secede! And no time is better than the present.
        "The contribution of forumites and others who visit shouldn’t be discounted, and offending people shouldn’t be the first thing on our minds. Most of us are educated and can do better." Mi bredrin Sass Jan. 29,2011

Comment

Hail Sass, hope all is well with you and family.
          "The contribution of forumites and others who visit shouldn’t be discounted, and offending people shouldn’t be the first thing on our minds. Most of us are educated and can do better." Mi bredrin Sass Jan. 29,2011

Comment

yeah man try to link you but seems u running the town.
            • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Working...
            X