No announcement yet.

What makes a city great?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not even sure. Mek mi look at mi itinieinenenieraity!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

True, the crime and violence in Bogota cancels out the positives. The FARC nah romp! Kidnapping and shooting can occur even in the middle of town.

But that said, Bogota (and you could add Barranquilla to it) would be great cities IF the could control the FARC.

Gamma was spot on about Barcelona.
      "The contribution of forumites and others who visit shouldn’t be discounted, and offending people shouldn’t be the first thing on our minds. Most of us are educated and can do better." Mi bredrin Sass Jan. 29,2011

Comment

My NCTM

HelpThe Singapore Story: A Nation's Effort to Develop Human Resources

by Swee Fong Ng
        Although Singapore is predominantly Chinese, it is a multicultural and multireligious urban society. English is the language of administration, education, and commerce. Children must study English and their "mother tongue"—Mandarin, Malay or Tamil, as well as mathematics and science. With so much on their plate, what is it that enabled Singapore's students to perform so well on the Third International Mathematics and Science Study (TIMSS)?
        Introduction
        Singapore's topmost position in the TIMSS is well known among mathematics educators. However, mathematics educators rarely mention the fact that Singapore was ranked 16th out of the 26 countries that participated in the Second International Science Study (SISS), conducted in 1983–1984. The Ministry of Education considered the improved performance in TIMSS, compared with SISS, to be a direct result of changes that it instituted in the mathematics and science curriculum (MOE 1996). Hence, rather than compare Singapore's performance with that of the United States, I believe that we should consider the changes made in Singapore's educational system that allowed for this significant improvement in mathematics performance in just over a decade. This essay considers factors that may have contributed to Singapore's improved performance.
        The education system and major changes in the curriculum
        Singapore has a centralized system of education, with a Ministry of Education that spearheads curriculum development and implementation. In 1990, the Ministry revised the mathematics curriculum to place greater emphasis on developing mathematical concepts and fostering the ability to apply them in mathematical problem-solving situations. The revised curriculum also emphasizes process skills and attitude development. The practice of tracking students according to their ability was introduced, and a differentiated curriculum is used to teach students according to their ability. In addition to implementing a national curriculum and examination system, the Ministry also recommends textbooks, provides pedagogical guides, and sets achievement standards. Hence, the intended curriculum has become comprehensive, highly focused, and coherent in its coverage across schools (MOE 1996). Fortuitously, the taught curriculum was similar to the TIMSS test items. Soh (1999) found a very high correlation between TIMSS achievement and item-curriculum match. Therefore, the success of students from Singapore on the TIMSS can be partly explained by the match between their curriculum and the TIMSS test items.
        Also the centralized, efficient education system and the relatively small size of Singapore allow the Ministry to disseminate information effectively. The Ministry can inform teachers about changes in the curriculum and can systematically conduct in-service courses to prepare teachers for such changes. Furthermore, the National Institute of Education (NIE) conducts all initial teacher education in Singapore. The Ministry informs NIE about changes in the mathematics curriculum; and NIE prepares new teachers for the changes, content, and pedagogical practices. However, because the initial teacher-education period is very short, the Ministry has recognized the need for continuous teacher education. The Ministry's policy allows recent graduates to have a lighter workload and be mentored by senior teachers during the first year of teaching. Established teachers are entitled to at least 100 hours of in-service training each year. This training is offered by such agencies as NIE and the Association of Mathematics Educators.
        The structure of the society in Singapore
        Although the previously mentioned factors possibly contribute to Singapore's success, why is the society amenable to changes instituted by the Ministry? Singapore has no natural resources. The political leaders of Singapore constantly remind the people of this deficiency and remind them that the economic well-being of the country is contingent on its development of human resources. Political leaders prescribe education as a means to develop human resources. Singapore has set up structures to reward and support individuals who do well academically. The goals and rewards are therefore clearly defined. Hence, although Singapore is multicultural and multireligious, it is homogeneous in that all the cultural groups share a common goal for their children—a better future through education. Children themselves value this goal.
        Investment in education
        Singapore's government continues to invest heavily in education. Evidence is seen in the continuing upgrading of schools, building of new ones, and the provision of proper infrastructure to help teachers and students use technology in teaching and learning. Parents in Singapore invest heavily in their children's education. A high proportion of Singapore's children receive additional after-school help with their schoolwork from private tutors.
        Conclusion
        Singapore has made considerable progress during the past ten years, primarily because all parties make a concerted effort to promote education and student achievement. This effort has taken the form of a revised mathematics curriculum, teaching resources, and in-service support. The success of Singapore's students is due to the collaboration of teachers, students, and parents, as well as a structure that supports academic success
        Hey .. look at the bright side .... at least you're not a Liverpool fan! - Lazie 2/24/10 Paul Marin -19 is one thing, 20 is a whole other matter. It gets even worse if they win the UCL. *groan*. 05/18/2011.MU fans naah cough, but all a unuh a vomit?-Lazie 1/11/2015

Comment

Singapore is a place I always want to visit.

I keep hoping that my sis will get an assignment there, so I won't have to worry about accommodation.
          Life is a system of half-truths and lies, opportunistic, convenient evasion.”
          - Langston Hughes

Comment

lol
            TIVOLI: THE DESTRUCTION OF JAMAICA'S EVIL EMPIRE

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

D1 - Xposing Dummies since 2007

Comment

Singapore is ok.

Wait, is Singapore mi did visit?!? Or is Macau?? Not even know to rahtid!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

That sound like a former soviet city. No entertainment or sporting activity???
                • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

I was listening to a radio program the other day on cities that have hosted sporting events like Olympics, World Cup and whether it was worth it.

On the program there was a consensus that Barcelona was one of the few cities that without question benefitted from hosting the Olympics, and its status as a top tourist destination today is directly due to that.
                  "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

Things are nowhere as bad as they used to be... at least that's what I hear I'm supposed to go there in a few weeks for a four days...
                    Peter R

Comment

Peter, I'm certain you will have a good time in Colombia. I hope Bogota, Barranquilla and Cartagena are on your travel list. Next to Jamaica, Colombia is my favourite place to visit. Accra (in Ghana) comes in a distant third.

My original post (on what makes a great city), highlighted Bogota. Its architecture is a fabulous mix of Colonial Spanish motif (as can be found in parts of Madrid), and a punctuation of modern skyscrapers (reminiscent of New York). Go visit the much talked-about Bogota Cathedral and the Municipal Palace. The golden room at the Gold Museum should also be on your list.

The food too is great! They have a soup called the Ajiaco (a thick hen soup with carrot, pumpkin, corn etc.); you gotta try that! Their coconut rice is also delicious but they make it tastier over in Cartagena. For lunch, try the Bandeja de Pais! Nightlife in Bogota is fantastic because the city seems to have a party every half-mile or so. The weather can be great but remember it varies a lot because of the diverse terrain you're going to find. But mostly it is good weather.

When I was last there in 2008, it was a bit tense as there was an explosion on a bus near the Simon Bolivar Plaza two days before I was there. But the city, with its breath-taking Colombian artwork and and many features is worth the trip.

I must say though, that the food is better in Cartagena. And I think that is where they have the Coral Wall with a lot of cannons. The people in Cartagena are friendly and most speak English with a Caribbean accent.
                      Certainly, if Colombia has shed the shroud of impending danger from the FARC, then Bogota is probably one of the best cities in the world to visit.

"The contribution of forumites and others who visit shouldn’t be discounted, and offending people shouldn’t be the first thing on our minds. Most of us are educated and can do better." Mi bredrin Sass Jan. 29,2011

Comment

Farmah,

Thanks for the info. I can now impress my travelling companion... Unfortunately, it will only be Bogota as we are there for a seminar so the tourist thing will have to be squeezed in... if time permits; we'll probably be able to do the night time stuff.

I have yet to visit Africa south of the Sahara; that and India, my ancestral homelands are on my "to do" list... for some reason Cameroons and Senegal appeal to me, probably because I made really good friends from both countries in my youth. I keep in touch with my Cameroonian friend but lost track of the Senegalese.

I did have an opportunity to work in Egypt two years ago, before the Arab Spring uprising, but in hindsight the decision to stay put here was the right one... anyway, if we were to follow the travel advisories to the letter we wouldn't go anywhere.

Thanks again for the pointers... will certainly check out what I can.
                        Peter R

Comment

Working...
                        X