Paying homage to nation, Belafonte

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paying homage to nation, Belafonte

Belafonte was born in Harlem, New York, but spent time in Jamaica as a youth living with his grandmother in St Ann and attending school at Wolmer's. No wonder everyone believed that he was a solid Jamaican. Later in life, he drew on his knowledge and experiences when he recorded the album Calypso with Day-O high on the list of popular music.

In the late 1960s, Harry was one of the biggest stars of the day. On a visit here he made sure to go to St Ann to see his grandmother. I made my way to the Kingston airport on the afternoon he was to land to find the famous Harry Belafonte and get an interview for The Star. I made the journey from the Gleaner office on Harbour Street out to the airport. In those days things were not as security-conscious as they are now. If you made your request you could get to the lounge and sit with arriving or departing passengers. Soon I was walking towards Harry Belafonte “the Great”, to whom I introduced myself. I told him that I wanted an interview with him. The famous singer and movie star said he had done too many interviews since landing and he didn't think he could do any more.

http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/opini...8?profile=1096
    THERE IS ONLY ONE ONANDI LOWE!

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.

Originally posted by Sir X View Post
    Belafonte was born in Harlem, New York, but spent time in Jamaica as a youth living with his grandmother in St Ann and attending school at Wolmer's. No wonder everyone believed that he was a solid Jamaican. Later in life, he drew on his knowledge and experiences when he recorded the album Calypso with Day-O high on the list of popular music.

In the late 1960s, Harry was one of the biggest stars of the day. On a visit here he made sure to go to St Ann to see his grandmother. I made my way to the Kingston airport on the afternoon he was to land to find the famous Harry Belafonte and get an interview for The Star. I made the journey from the Gleaner office on Harbour Street out to the airport. In those days things were not as security-conscious as they are now. If you made your request you could get to the lounge and sit with arriving or departing passengers. Soon I was walking towards Harry Belafonte “the Great”, to whom I introduced myself. I told him that I wanted an interview with him. The famous singer and movie star said he had done too many interviews since landing and he didn't think he could do any more.

http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/opini...8?profile=1096
    Dayhoo daaaayyyy oooh.daylight come
    And mi wau go home.made the most
    Money from calypso.Although 'feeling
    Hot' was the most sold calypso single.
    By Arrow.Arrow was the one
    That wrote byron lee big hit'ms tiny
    Winy'.in jamaica ah met sparow
    'God father' he was from grenada
    and he was a dentist by livelyhood.
    Drank ah mi relative bar near stadium.
    Last edited by wbvs; August 13, 2018, 05:29 PM.
    Jamaica you mite get a Petroleum well with
    United Oil by 1.31.26;You also has a NNPC option with the Abuja accord from 2022.What
    happens then I don't know.A Petrol Well is
    Probably forthcoming...

Comment

Working...
    X