Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reggae Struggles For Relevance In Namibia

NO BUSINESS APPROACH

According to the publication Entertainment Now! Ten Dreadz, who has reportedly been in the music industry for 20 years, said that “the irrelevance of reggae in the country started with reggae artistes themselves”. He points to several failings, some of which are surprisingly similar to those that reggae artistes in Jamaica are also guilty of. Among them are a lack of a business approach, very little unity and a laid-back approach.

“In Gambia, reggae muisc is big. Gambia is like Jamaica when it comes to the music, but I believe that Gambians listen to more reggae and dancehall music than Jamaicans,” he said.

“And this is why I say this. Jamaicans listen to all different types of music, but Gambians are very much into their reggae and dancehall. The fan base is strong and demanding. Even if you are playing Afrobeat, patrons will come and ask you to play some reggae now,” he told The Gleaner.

http://jamaica-gleaner.com/article/e...evance-namibia
    Hey .. look at the bright side .... at least you're not a Liverpool fan! - Lazie 2/24/10 Paul Marin -19 is one thing, 20 is a whole other matter. It gets even worse if they win the UCL. *groan*. 05/18/2011.MU fans naah cough, but all a unuh a vomit?-Lazie 1/11/2015

The writer seems to be contradicting himself, it's not an influence but it's an influence because they renamed a street after Garvey and he plays into stereotypes that they are unkempt, linking it to the same problems we have of lateness.

When was the last time you heard a jamaican artiste being late or unkempt ? poor article to reinforce stereotypes.

Cant trust the article
    THERE IS ONLY ONE ONANDI LOWE!

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.

Comment

reading is overrated... Africa is not a country. Nambia vs Gambia.
      Hey .. look at the bright side .... at least you're not a Liverpool fan! - Lazie 2/24/10 Paul Marin -19 is one thing, 20 is a whole other matter. It gets even worse if they win the UCL. *groan*. 05/18/2011.MU fans naah cough, but all a unuh a vomit?-Lazie 1/11/2015

Comment

Proof the article is B.S , at least questionable .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=osgOJ-pk744

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-yBYtWeHrQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AgAuHYLXCn0

Many reggae musicians do not appear on time at their events, and most of them do not look presentable, so much so that fans complain of their untidiness.

A simple search of youtube,the most relevant site of a nations expression in real time.

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.

Comment

bwoy you Trumplike. You take 3 videos to make your point that what the man is saying is questionable??? Damn
          • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

yes if it is there.
            • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

I leave the Trump antics for you, OJ and Brick ,I always provide proof by using the sources own statements ,it leaves them wth catch phrases e.g "trump like " the author said ..... reggae musicians do not appear on time at their events, and most of them do not look presentable, so much so that fans complain of their untidiness.

Then contradicts himself by saying they renamed a road after Garvey because of its influence,so where is the irrelevance ?

Think ! its feeding stereotypes.Those women look well put together to me and I dont think they will turn up late for a show,also the music and vibe look relevant.

Another thing because he doent hear anything coming out of Namibia, doesnt means its not relevant.Maybe not on an international scence,maybe its relevance is local and the competition from south africa which is its neighbor dwarfs the local industry.

I dont expect you or trump to understand that level of reasoning being "trump like"

Comment

How many times you hear Jamaican promoters and others overseas talk about the professionalism of the Jamaican artist??? There is a serious lack of professionalism in the industry in Jamaica and there is no two way about it. Yes there are some very professionals involved but too many doesn't display that which bring down the credibility.

Stop chat fart man. Yet you trying to show 3 video as your source. Get better source, as your reaction is knee jerk and not based on any good source or personal knowledge.

Comment

The fart is as much as you generalising the lack of professionalism to justify this idiot article.1st he made specific reference to relevance and tied it to being untidy . Is that a trait of Jamaican reggae artist who love to bling or wear the emperors clothes ?

You further perputate more fart by reinforcing the stereotypes of the issues of lateness as being a curent problem.I cant tell the last time I have heard of an artiste being late for a show in NY and thats the problem , Jamaican reggae artiste service a worldwide industry,if untidyness and lateness was a problem,it would not only show in Jamaica but the world e.g N.Y.

Comment

You are only making yourself looking worst as this goes on. Give it up as most Jamaica, insder, mangers and agent with tell you about the professionalism involved. It is no secret in some quarters. Get better source to make your point. Show me any insider, articles etc that share your point of improved professionalism.
                    Last edited by Assasin; June 21, 2019, 09:19 AM.

Comment

Only fools generalise,like you and the author. Lack of professionalism isn't reserved to lateness and untidyness.If you want to make the point ,do so,but dont generalise that its relevance is being hampered in Namibia because of those jamaican reggae artist traits of untidyness and lateness,its a stereotype that Jamaican artist have fought to shed from its inception.

As mi say,I cant tell the last time I have seen an artiste late in NY since the late 90s.

Keep up yuh fawwwwt.

Comment

how Mi end up in this.. Mi nut know nutter bout Nambia gambia or wherever.. I don't give a **** if them like reggae or neo soul for that matter...

Comment

Yuh always inna it,ask yuh self,how yuh find yuh self posting in and on it ?

Specifically to your point,unnnuh generalise without no supporting documentation or take things out of context and quote them as facts to the point where " cock mouth kill cock".

When you have lost the battle,your last card is to accuse the opposition of ignorance,of your own temperament.

Comment

Originally posted by Sir X View Post
                            Yuh always inna it,ask yuh self,how yuh find yuh self posting in and on it ?

Specifically to your point,unnnuh generalise without no supporting documentation or take things out of context and quote them as facts to the point where " cock mouth kill cock".

When you have lost the battle,your last card is to accuse the opposition of ignorance,of your own temperament.
                            .......whooooohee, x you can certainly trace...

You remind me of a mad ooowman we used to call oldfowl.........
                            The only time TRUTH will hurt you...is if you ignore it long enough

HL

Comment

Sorry x I don’t have an opinion on how strong reggae is in Nambia

Comment

Working...
                              X