BlackBerry shrivels to a Prune

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BlackBerry shrivels to a Prune

Dropped signal: Which way now for BlackBerry?
    BY JULIAN RICHARDSON Assistant Business Co-ordinator richardsnoj@jamaicaobserver.com
    Wednesday, January 25, 2012

THE once mighty BlackBerry has suffered a rapid and disastrous fall from grace in North America, culminating with the resignation this week of co-CEOs Jim Balsillie and Mike Lazaridis.

But can their replacement, Thorsten Heins, restore Research in Motion (RIM) to its commanding position in the smartphone market? And what about the product's viability in Jamaica?

With disbelief swirling around the company's bad fortunes up north, local experts have mixed views on whether the Canadian maker of BlackBerry will keep its stranglehold on the Jamaican smartphone market for much longer.
    Dane Spencer, managing director of SMS - Smart Mobile Solutions, suggested that given its perceived technological shortcomings compared to other smartphones, the BlackBerry could easily see a reversal of fortunes in Jamaica if, for example, dominant mobile phone player Digicel began to distribute the iPhone and subsidise its cost.
    “The truth is that devices tend to be carrier-driven in Jamaica,” Spencer said.
    “The reality is that if tomorrow morning, Digicel gets up and says 'the iPhone is where it's at' and begins to entice users with a limited data plan and a fleet of applications that are pretty much localised and useful for the average consumer, you could easily see a shift,” Spencer said, adding that “Apple marketing worldwide is very good as well”.

Spencer said however that he believes RIM will work hard to protect its Latin America and Caribbean market, which he said is highly regarded by the Canadian firm.

RIM was worth more than US$70 billion a few years ago but now has a market value of around US$8.2 billion.

RIM's share of the US smartphone market dropped from 44 per cent in 2009 to 10 per cent in 2011, according to market researcher NPD Group.

http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/busin...or-BlackBerry-
    TIVOLI: THE DESTRUCTION OF JAMAICA'S EVIL EMPIRE

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

D1 - Xposing Dummies since 2007

it will be fine .. exciting news soon.

Comment

what mi know is dem love dem blackberry inna jamaica bad... i think its de bbm...
      'to get what we've never had, we MUST do what we've never done'

Comment

I hope so. We need more than one or two options in smartphones and tablets.

Me love Apple products but dem have too many mafia tendencies and I would hate for them to totally dominate any market.
        "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

Originally posted by Baddaz View Post
          what mi know is dem love dem blackberry inna jamaica bad... i think its de bbm...
          more majoring in the minor

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

Comment

Samsung will buy RIM and they will be just fine...BBM is a killer app and will be integrated into the Galaxy II...

Comment

Killer app? Really? Well maybe for Blackberry owners who don't have too many choices in apps.

I use WhatsApp messenger which has most of the same features AND it runs on all major smartphone platforms, INCLUDING Blackberry.

Nobody is going to switch to a BB for thier messenger, and thats kind of the definition of a killer app.
              "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

Why would anybody want to get a BB except for the network it is on. Compared to other smart phones, it is a lousy piece of equipment. Can't see how it can be improved either. Has to be totally revamped. Only one man's opinion.

Comment

WhatsApp is crap...as you should well know if you really use it...who said anything about switching to a BB? Did you miss the part about the Samsung Galaxy II? But a wha di?

Comment

Well it beats paying for phone calls...I mean who makes phone calls anymore?

Comment

I guess you do not really understand what the definition of a killer app is. BB messenger is certainly not one.

I use whatsapp daily and have had no problems. What's kinda crap phone you were using it on?

Comment

Originally posted by Islandman View Post
                        Killer app? Really? Well maybe for Blackberry owners who don't have too many choices in apps.

I use WhatsApp messenger which has most of the same features AND it runs on all major smartphone platforms, INCLUDING Blackberry.

Nobody is going to switch to a BB for thier messenger, and thats kind of the definition of a killer app.
                        Tell dem pawdie...dem ongly know whe dem know ...LOL

Comment

Originally posted by Islandman View Post
                          I guess you do not really understand what the definition of a killer app is. BB messenger is certainly not one.

I use whatsapp daily and have had no problems. What's kinda crap phone you were using it on?
                          So you back off of yuh idiot talk now? Read before you respond next time

Comment

Ah....no. I didn't.

You said BB messenger is a killer app and I say it is not. Whether Samsung will buy BB or not is a separate issue that I was not debating.

Comment

So why did you say nobody will switch to Blackberry for BBM when I clearly stated Samsung would buy them and incorporate BBM into the Galaxy? Anyway keep using crappy, security challenged whatsapp all you want

Comment

Working...
                              X